TV Crossover Episodes

Loved it so much I recently bought the ebook, and it was every bit as funny as I remembered.

2 Likes

Be amazed at the pointless crossover between Star Trek and Team Knight Rider.

1 Like

Reminds me of that map that connected all the TV show universes.

2 Likes

The Tommy Westphall Universe

3 Likes

Slate had a great feature on author John M. Ford (who also wrote The Final Reflection, one of the best early Trek novels featuring the Klingons) back in 2019, which is worth your time:

3 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This article hasn’t been updated since 2016, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 is (possibly) in the Tommy Westphall Universe!

Here’s how:

1. The St. Elsewhere characters Dr. Roxanne Turner and Dr. Victor Ehrlich appeared on Homicide: Life on the Street.

2. Homicide: Life on the Street featured Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch.

3. John Munch showed up on the Arrested Development episode “Exit Strategy”.

4. Arrested Development featured new MST3K theater segments for a fictitious Fantastic Four movie in the episodes “A New Start” and “Smashed”.

WE’RE IN THE SNOWGLOBE, FOLKS :smiley:

5 Likes

I believe the two teams fought to a draw, but Kato was way cooler. No contest. Batmobile was cooler than the Hornet’s clunker, however.

4 Likes

Wholeheartedly agreed. You ain’t gonna top Kato for coolness points, even if you’re Batman.

But the Batmobile IS the sweetest ride that ever sweeted on TV.

3 Likes

What? Nonsense!

5 Likes

That Batmobile was based on the Lincoln Futura, a concept car.

5 Likes

I mean, I wouldn’t mind owning THAT, either.

3 Likes

Hitler’s death car.

5 Likes

I remember Whiz Kids. I was actually thinking about it the other day. That, and Misfits of Science.

1 Like

I vaguely remember a Star Trek novel series that tried to reconcile the Star Trek timeline with the fact that genetically enhanced superhumans didn’t try and conquer Earth in the '90s. (The answer was that they did, but it was a big undercover conspiracy thing and none of us noticed.) It springs to mind because I recall some throwaway lines to the effect that the leads of the Pretender and Beauty and the Beast series, and maybe some others, were early products of the superhuman program.

3 Likes

I think of it this way: You’re writing a TV show in 1966 and you want to reference something in the not-too-distant future, and you think back 25 years, WWII and all the sci-fi is referencing 1970AD which you can see right around the corner looks nothing like the predictions and—yeah, nobody cares.

So you say, “mid-'90s…perfect”.

2 Likes

With I imagine a dose of “who’s going to remember this show in 20 years?” Can’t fault the writers. Looking it up, neither of the writers on that episode lived to see these particular novels published, but I imagine they’d be amused to see someone putting the work into trying to reconcile what they made up with what actually happened.

4 Likes

I love the Internet. There’s an entire wiki for Crossovers!

Also: The greatest crossover/extended universe ever – The Wold Newton Family

3 Likes

This suggests the possibility of a “Name One Retcon Which Helped And One Which Utterly Didn’t” thread. But I’m already hogging enough of the front page this week.

2 Likes

I think the Tommy Westphall universe is bigger than the Wold Newton Family but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I remember when the Drew Carey show had a huge Babylon 5 reference. It wasn’t really a crossover so much as cross promotion.

5 Likes