Weird Movie Suggestions for my 12-year-old Daughter

Yeah, but the book is so much better.

3 Likes

I forgot to say, we watched Nothing but Trouble and she was too freaked out by it. Which is weird, because she didn’t find Killer Klowns from Outer Space freaky at all.

2 Likes

“Phase IV” was actually done by MST3K during the KTMA days! I’ve only seen a tiny bit of the actual movie - ants crawling out someone’s hand!

4 Likes

I’m aware, although I’ve never seen it riffed. I really like it. It’s the great Saul Bass’ only film. It has a not very good ending forced on him by the studio, but otherwise I think it’s a good movie.

4 Likes

Mr Vampire

A vibrant mix of comedy, action and horror/fantasy.

3 Likes

We watched Strange Brew last night. She liked it, but about 20 minutes in, she turned to me and said, “WHY DO THEY KEEP SAYING EH?!”

3 Likes

Maybe it has something to do with where the film takes place… :canada:

3 Likes

I told her, “that’s just what Canadians do! But probably not that frequently.”

I did not tell her to take off.

3 Likes

I second (or thirth) Big Trouble in Little China. Get bored during that, ha.

The Richard Lester Musketeer movies are a blast (blotto Oliver Reed stunts, whee).

North by Northwest?

The Fleischer Superman cartoons and the first few seasons of Batman:TAS.

Sky Captain and Everything’s Weird AF

5 Likes

I think the next will actually be Gremlins 2. She would be too grossed out by the first one, but I think she can handle the second one, which I like more anyway. And you don’t really have to know the first one to watch the second. It re-explains everything.

6 Likes

And what if she runs into a Canadian in the wild?

Just be sure she keeps some poutine handy for those feisty Canucks !

…and have you considered Canadian Bacon?

2 Likes

We’re never gonna get five megawatts by mid-May.

4 Likes

Mirrormask was cool, I enjoyed it when it came out but I was a bit older than maybe the target audience, would’ve loved it when I was 12.

3 Likes

I was disappointed by it, honestly. But maybe I’ll give it another try.

2 Likes

If you can find it (there’s an awful copy on YouTube) Lunatics: A Love Story by Josh Becker is kinda fun.
Not sure anyone’s mentioned Innerspace, or Fantastic Voyage for that matter.
Airheads isn’t weird but is a bit off centre and less well known. Also So I Married an Axe Murderer, Mystery Men, Hudson Hawk?
Ticks (1993)
The Frighteners
200 Motels is probably not what you’re looking for if Head didn’t land right.
If she enjoyed Nothing But Trouble, maybe Coneheads or Dragnet. Probably not Doctor Detroit? You could veer off into Rainbow or North, Aykroyd has less to do and they’re not too well received but they’re certainly odd.
OSS 117?
I liked The Monster Club, 70s Tales From The Crypt, Demon Knight for that matter, Asylum, stuff like that.
House and House 2?
Shock Treatment?
Maybe Harold & Maude’s a bit talky.
Garth Merengue’s Darkplace? I don’t know what 12 year olds watch nowadays. Here’s some ideas anyway.

4 Likes

Actually, she might really get into Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace. I hadn’t thought about that. We don’t do too many TV shows, but we really should, because with her ADHD, it’s easier for her to sit through them.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t ordinarily recommend this for a 12-year-old, but if she’s seen Zardoz I think she might like it. It’s exactly as advertised on the tin: a somehow “sentient” car tire rolls along a desert highway, killing things with psychic powers, before becoming enamored with a pretty girl staying at a last-chance desert motel. Shot with skill and competence you wouldn’t expect for such a ridiculous premise.

2 Likes

If she can do subtitles, HARD recommend for recently rediscovered weirdo musical The Legend of the Stardust Brothers…

Directed by the son of the creator of Astro Boy and man, did this nepo baby make good. Originally an embarrassment it’s been reassessed as a completely bonkers but cool, ambitious (and confounding) musical wonder!

3 Likes