We're cancelling each other over MST3K takes today. What's your cancellable MST3K take?

I don’t like the Hobgoblins episode.

I thought the theme song during the Netflix seasons was great!

The older I get, the funnier TV’s Frank is to me. (This one might not be “cancellable”)

10 Likes

I dug the Netflix theme, too. It added an edge of triumph, which was something novel (and appropriate, given the show’s return).

I will say that I was surprised that Kinga didn’t force Jonah to perform the theme song at some point for the show intro. It feels like that would totally have been a Kinga move.

6 Likes

Probably left Jonah out of the opening because we’re playing host roulette this season.

3 Likes

For the Netflix episodes, I mean.

With the host roulette this season, not mentioning a host (and instead, using the jet screen to do the whole “This Week’s Host Is…” thing) during the theme song sequence makes much more sense.

Plus, the focus on the Gizmoplex is something needed, because [gestures] the Gizmoplex.

3 Likes

What’s my hot take? I like it when they shake up the formula.

Changing hosts, putting unusual characters in the theater, having them walk around during the movie, redefining the world between seasons – I love it when the show takes risks and tries new things.

I’m also probably more invested than anyone should be in the show’s lore. Maybe it’s just a show and I should just relax, but I think world-building in my head is very relaxing.

12 Likes

I like every single episode.

From KTMA through current. Some make me laugh more than others, but each one was enjoyable to watch. There isn’t an episode I wouldn’t watch again.

8 Likes

Agreed.

It feels like MST3K’s whole brand is shaking up established formulas, so the show’s penchant for evolving, changing, transforming, and experimenting (appropriately enough) is something crucial.

As long as the heart of the show’s there, that’s the most important thing.

7 Likes

I feel that*.

I’m keen on revisiting every episode** as well. Each installment is essential to the show’s journey from where I sit, and I would never go out of my way to avoid an episode.***

-* although I have trouble reconciling that with The Castle of Fu Manchu

-** while freely admitting that there’s some reluctance with The Castle of Fu Manchu

-*** another Castle of Fu Manchu disclaimer

5 Likes

The best part of MST3K is the glorification of kidnapping, death threats, psychological torcher, bullying, and forced marriage. With the recent changes, it’s great to have all that finally happen to a strong female lead. Something that’s been holding the show back is the silhouette. Some people watch with the lights on. Those people are being told that their lifestyle is invalid. Let’s throw a little light onto those theater seats why doncha. Gizmoplex tickets should only be available through Ticketmaster. Hamdingers actually taste good.

5 Likes

I’m never speaking to any of you again! Blocked blocked blocked blocked. And I’m going to hunt down your businesses and boycott them, but I’m going to criticize your boycotts as over-politicization. I’m going to push blatantly anti-you laws through my state legislature. I am going to display all of your posts on Twitter so we can pile on you. I’m going to go to your highschool and cut out your picture from the official copy of your senior yearbook. I’ll show you what for!

[apologies if that was too political… I tried to spread the love around. But y’all weren’t cancelling enough. There, I said it.]

5 Likes

Crow was better before the second Floralier tray was added.

3 Likes

The current door sequence has too few safe doors.

4 Likes

The Crawling Eye was the hero.

7 Likes

Atlantic Rim is one of the handful of movies MST3K has riffed where I find myself recognizing roads/landmarks… At least enough to hit IMDb and Wikipedia and dig into where they were filmed. And, sometimes I find myself looking at Wikipedia and a map and thinking, that IS the road I take to that racetrack I love.

All those movies where something looks familiar tend to be enjoyable on an additional level for me?

I wouldn’t watch them without the riffs though. That would be too painful… Shudder.

5 Likes

So many ellipses. We need… um… Pelotons!

3 Likes

I couldn’t give less of care about the 2 new robots…Graverly & Wowler maybe? Whatever. I don’t care.

9 Likes

Here’s my cancellable MST3K Takes:

-I think that the Mike Era, while having my favorite host segments, doesn’t really get good until the Sci-Fi Era

-The original pitch for MST3K: The Movie that Jim Mallon had would have been a way better movie than what we ended up getting and Joel was wrong to dismiss that concept.

-Jonah has always been a perfect MST3K host, the formatting and release structure of the Netflix episode just didn’t let him really stretch his legs.

-I fundamentally disagree with Joel about the most important aspect of MST3K. The riffing is important, yes, but it’s the connective tissue, the bots, the mads, the sketches that make the show matter more than just a solid riffing show. If I just wanted a good riffing show, I’d watch RiffTrax, I watch MST3K for the complete experience of the show, the curation of the movies and the characters/dynamics

7 Likes

I’m indifferent to the “core riffers” (Joel, Trace, Kevin, Mike, Bill) coming back as full-timers in the modern seasons. I think there is a place for cameos and one offs (I think Joel coming back for 2 solo episodes and the Christmas episode should be a fine place to leave him) or coming back as their Mad Scientist characters, but overexposing them for the nostalgia just makes the new casts feel as “also ran”. I’m really glad that it seems like Joel is going to be using the Live Tour Bot Voices (or Josh) for his bots, pass it on to the next generation.

5 Likes

Jim Mallon especially feels like the most forgotten of the original team. At least Trace and Kevin are doing their own things, and J. Elvis is returning to the show, but Mallon seems to be just totally erased in anything Alterniversal is doing for their own history.

5 Likes

Oh yeah? Well I don’t really even know who you’re talking about, so there.

3 Likes