Whamageddon... are you surviving? (Now in 2023!)

I just realized this @Brina… You’re one of the Mads and this whole Topic/thread is you’re “today’s experiment”! I just realized this because, while I hadn’t heard the song much at the time of my original response post, and not really since, I HAVE been singing the song around the house for days!!! (Experiment: Pose the question of sanity subtley, re: a topic that drives subjects insane; thereby making said subject aware of the topic in a manner as not to put the subject on the defensive; thereby, allowing said topic to infiltrate said subject’s brain & fester there. Result: insanity.)

Well played. :rage::rofl::+1:

THERE ARE FOUR JINGLE BELLS!

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

2 Likes

Oh no, my diabolical plan has been exposed. :rofl:

I didn’t know this would happen!!!

3 Likes

I lost last Thursday but it was for a good cause. A charity I support was having a live stream of “Last Christmas” with Emilia Clarke & Henry Golding and there are numerous versions in the movie including an original. But it was fun and we all knew it was coming. :smiley:

2 Likes

Four days to go and I’m still in the hunt.

1 Like

I lost on the 15th in a physical therapy clinic. I had a narrow scrape with a cover version earlier, but I guess the doctors pay for the good stuff!

1 Like

I got lucky, because my workplace didn’t turn on the holiday music until the 13th. I think I heard the song a few days later. I actually don’t hate that one. There are so many worse: Mary Did You Know (Holy condescension, Batman!), Wonderful Christmastime, War is Over, that inane “whoopdie-do” crap already mentioned, the version of “Hallelujah” rewritten to be about Jesus, the song from that lousy Grinch movie…
I mean, good ones exist. We do also get Bing Crosby, Elvis, and Dolly Parton. But the bad ones? Yeesh.

4 Likes

Also (and I am definitely not an expert but) I think it’s literally heresy and maybe blasphemy? At least, my understanding was that the whole point of Mary was that she DID know and she took on the burden anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve migrated to a new circle of hell; an orchestral instrumental of Last Christmas has bedevilled my work days this week.

Does it count if it’s a nice shoegazy cover by a Japanese noise band?
https://boris.bandcamp.com/track/last-christmas

See if you can get transferred to this circle:

Yeah, every time I hear it, I picture someone singing it at Mary, and her trying to interject: “Well, yes, actually I-“ “Uh, as I was saying, the angel-“ “Did you even read the book?!”

2 Likes

The Christmas Music Season has officially ended in my neck of the woods, and I am happy to report my 16 confirmed Whamaggedon kills. There are benefits to entering Whamhalla early!

2 Likes

I am happy to say I made it through the season without a single hearing of “Last Christmas” or the Lennon version of “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”… though I did catch a few bars of somebody’s cover of the Lennon one.

1 Like

I lost about two days before Christmas.

The thing is, it’s such a good song that I’m not actively trying to avoid it. It just plays out that way.

2 Likes

I almost made it – got ambushed by “Last Christmas” at a Sonic drive-in about a week ago.

1 Like

I made it! I won!

3 Likes

Woo!!!

Made it!

1 Like

I think I made it too, but I might have heard an instrumental of the wham. It was only vaguely reminiscent of the wham, so maybe I don’t turn into red dust immediately and have to wait a couple days. Not looking forward to the helicopter ride.

1 Like