What are you listening to right now?

4 Likes

One of the better later career Sir Rod singles.

2 Likes

This is a song from my favorite album of the year so far.

1 Like

Beautiful spring day. A day for opening all the windows and sweeping and dusting the whole house. Also for alternately lush and acerbic Nineties and Oughts chamber-style/“World” jazz from the likes of Mokave, The Kamikaze Ground Crew, Marilyn Mazur, Lily White…

iTunes takes ya’ where it goes… like, wow maaaaan (or Pearl) you are too beautiful for this world… :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes
4 Likes

It is a beautiful spring day, and I’m confident that the last of the possible ice conditions are over for a few months.

I’d forgotten about Scarlatti for…probably a few years. It seems to me that my “effort” at guitar is not necessarily wasted, for the music can be played at both instruments. Si, gli due or whatever.

For some reason the K. 213 is not in any of the usual compilations, so I just now bought another paperback of the Gilbert edition. No, it’s not really an expensive doorstop when it gets here, and it does have the advantage of having the K213 and the rest in that range. I justify it so.

/* and to stay current

*/

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Ryan Roxie’s LP, Two Sides of Every Story

He’s been with Alice for decades, but I’ve never listened to his solo work. This is very melodic, lots of hooks, the kind that makes a Beatles nut happy.

The Purdie Shuffle

Also the Purdie Shuffle

4 Likes

This song reminds me a lot of Kashmir.

Ooh, is there a playlist of MST movie themes that are bangers anywhere? I never thought of that before.

2 Likes

Spring, Spring, Spring!

1 Like

How the hell am I going to go to work at 1600 today? With all this hot music burning a hole in my feet?

Actually, sheet cake, I’ve been wanting to transcribe Sonny Clark’s piano solo off GG’s kind of whack idea doing “Oleo”: I’ve heard this a million times in the car, and actually can pretty much sing GG’s solo by heart.

But NYC’s No Lark does do something pretty special over that (IMHO) kind of juvenile idea of reharm GG did.

No, probably not do it today/tonight…just took some benadryl and I do want (and need) to go to work today…can’t let my Peruvian doll down (cool it, she’s married, and she knows I know that) and even if I didn’t show up she could run the whole place.

/* That is a really special solo Sonny Clark takes on GG’s weird little arrangement of the rhythm-changes tune “Oleo” (written by Sonny Rollins, and a classic everybody knows)…warm tone at the acoustic piano, and every line is at the same time relentless, but also phrased with just right amount of “breaths.”

That’s it, I’m transcribing that Clark solo…perhaps its worse for my learning, but I already have the GG solo transcribed in the Wolf Marshall book, which is very good and haven’t found a mistake yet.

Been a few years since I transcribed with pencil and paper! I’m hearing a lot of arpeggios based on triads in Sonny Clark’s solo, and while I’m not going to bother actually playing it, with those weirdo chords, I’ll get something out of it. Fo’ sho’!

[To clarify, the tune “Oleo” is just rhythm changes, aka, based of that old tune “I’ve got Rhythm,” but Grant Green just did a little something with the chords and the melody by starting it off in ‘C’ (tunes 98% of the time done in Bb) then quick modulate to B major for two bars, and then back to normal, with the regular 8-bar bridge.

Tunes based on the chord progression of Gershwin’s “I’ve Got Rhythm” are called “contrafacts,” which just means somebody put a new melody on top of the changes and called them new tunes, which they are, by copyright law, like “Oleo,” “Moose the Mooche,” “Anthropology,” and there are just so many dozens of those tunes…people just call them ‘rhythm changes’ tunes.

They’re like a blues…even if you don’t know the actual melody, you still know the structure and the chords and can hang if you’re playing with people you’ve never met before].
*/

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

This is to album titles what Naked Lunch is to movie titles. IYKYK

1 Like