What are you watching right now???

I’ve seen about 20 movies that came out this year, and Glass Onion finished a strong second behind Everything Everywhere All at Once.

3 Likes

@moviegique - I liked it too, in fact you posting that image of a young lady and a giant egg on this page is what put it on my radar. (And I read the review, so that gave me an extra push to seek it out)

Oh - and my #1 to date is The Northman, but I haven’t seen TÁR or The Banshees of Inisherin yet (both high on my watchlist, + Cate Blanchett & Nina Hoss, and Brendan Gleeson are three of my favorite actors, and each have received good notices for their work).

Still need to see Glass Onion.

2 Likes

A training video.

1 Like

I’ve been agnostic on Ti West up to now. I’ve never fully liked any of his movies, but he can put a nice shot together and pace things well, which carries over here.

But blimey, I viscerally hated this film. I’ve got a personal foible with old age make-up. Even at its best it’ll yank me out of a film, but when it’s Prometheus level terrible like it is here then even a really good film will struggle to hold me.

Biggest issue though was after a decent start it just devolved, particularly in the last 15mins, into the kind of ‘F*ck Yeah!’ Bro-Horror that rubs me the wrong way. Felt like an Eli Roth film.

Sid Haig is positively marvellous in this. ‘Lights up the screen’ doesn’t even cover it! Great soundtrack.

This was a random choice that paid off. I suspect if I was Czech I’d appreciate the allegory at the centre of the story more, but I got the broad strokes. The actor in the central role is fantastic; all sorts of subtleties to the performance.

This was the first John Waters film I ever saw, haven’t seen it since it first came to video. It’s a minor one overall, but I found it to be more uplifting than I remember and not exactly subtle in its message. But in a pretty funny way (one of the last lines is an extra shouting “Death to Irony” - OK, John, we get it!)

2 Likes

Cool! They re-released Knives Out, which I missed, so I was planning a double-feature.

Banshees is great but stark. It’s more like his brother’s movie Calvary than (e.g.) In Bruges.

I missed X, but enjoyed Pearl which is apparently much better (and has no old age makeup). But I rather like House of the Devil, too

2 Likes

USA V IRAN AND I CANNOT HANDLE THIS!

feels breaking dawn GIF

2 Likes

I’ve since learnt that the old age makeup in X was largely (entirely?) to allow for members of the cast to crossover between the films. Fine. Surely a good casting director could make choices that facilitate that though?

I remember enjoying House Of The Devil, but found the ending a bit lacklustre? Haven’t seen it since first run so will revisit.

2 Likes

Here we go again!

1 Like

It’s definitely a slow burn, so if you’re not in the mood for that, it won’t work. But the payoffs are very nice.

1 Like

RIP Jonathan Demme.

1 Like

She-Hulk

3 Likes

Willow (the series)

2 Likes

How is it?

1 Like

Enjoying it so far, but it’s a slow burn right now. Probably will pick up a bit later. Warwick Davis is great. Music is pretty good during the episodes, but gets jarring when you hit the credits and rock kicks in. Performances are basically that fantasy trope where you have that weird blend of accents, like with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

2 Likes

Seems like 80s fantasy movies always had a rock track blasting over the closing credits. This is probably a nod to that.

2 Likes

It helped to clear the theater.

3 Likes

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special is a fun watch ( and quick 45 min.).

3 Likes

I’m watching it right now. Already laughed out loud a few times and (as usual for a GotG release) has some good stuff on the soundtrack. Pom Klementieff is a delight as Mantis.

2 Likes

Marble League 2022 is already underway and I’m just now starting to catch up.

Here are the first two events:

I agree. I’ve been a diehard CCE fan ever since I discovered the Marble League 2 years ago. Their loss last year hurt. This year though, they continue their purr-suit of purr-fection

2 Likes
4 Likes