What did you get for Christmas?

Or something big and intimidating like Gorgo Steamshovel.

3 Likes

How about something bleak, and Russian like a Chekov play? It can be called Cousin Nikolai Andreev Kropotkin.

2 Likes

I asked for and got a steering wheel lock for my 2019 Kia Sorento, aka MEGAWEAPON.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s good. You wouldnā€™t want to park Megaweapon in a dangerous area and have some VERY BAD MOTHERS steal it.

6 Likes

Roddy?

2 Likes
2 Likes

My phone wonā€™t show me what Iā€™m uploading so this could be interestingā€¦

Phew! Artwork from two of my daughters. The Serious Man one is too dark to see the blackboardā€¦:roll_eyes:EDIT: I guess itā€™s not too bad on a desktop monitor. On the phone I couldnā€™t see it.

8 Likes

Several books:

And this shirt. The U of Maryland - Baltimore County Retrievers. Not my alma mater, but people know what a retriever looks like. No one has a clue what a U of Wisconsin - Eau Claire Blugold looks like. Even the U of Wisconsin - Eau Claire.
#RetrieverNation

3 Likes

My daughterā€™s Hanukkah present from my mom (we do other joke presents but give one serious present each) just arrived. It was very delayed:

6 Likes

Some good stuff.

A work pal gave my an acrylic beanie that has the word ā€œSmartā€ superimposed on a graphic of a donkey or an ass. No, I wear sweatbands at work outside, but I suppose I should make myself uncomfortable and have my eyes stinging with sweat once in a while, because of that idiotā€™s conception of largesse. I didnā€™t get him anything, because why would I?

I got to dine with my sisterā€™s family, and our shared parents. The food was acceptable.

I got a bunch of hand-me-down sweaters, some in merino wool, that my father has become too fat to wearā€¦theyā€™re pretty nice!

Mostly I bought a bunch of stuff for myself, including paying down debts due to increased revenue from working. Also found some acceptable products at the Dollar Tree, and I spared no expense buying treats for myself.

I call that a damned fine cup of coffee!

3 Likes

Too true. But getting what I really wanted, ahem, would have done a lot more for me. Alas that that is not entirely in my hands, heh. :wink:

Growing up I was lucky in that for a while I lived in my grandparentsā€™ house, Momā€™s side. She had four siblings, the youngest only 13 when I was born. So there were a lot of folks around, and so a lot of gifts. We make a habit of not buying anything for ourselves from around September onward, unless an immediate need, and putting a couple of lists out; one ā€˜relevant to needsā€™ for work and projects, the other ā€˜for funā€™ or fannish what-not. Was floored to have each list hit hard this year, but thereā€™s a hell of a lot that I need for ref and to make use of for small things or for input on projects to shore up some knowledge gaps, mainly to pursue the job I mentioned and some side projects Iā€™d like to $$ with. Insane, but really appreciated.

2 Likes

My husband got me tickets to Eddie Izzardā€™s Great Expectations in NYC in early February. I am so excited!

My mom got me this tablet called a Remarkable 2, which you can scribble on with a stylus. It should help me with work and other things.

My SIL got me a St. Louis City FC (St. Louisā€™ new MLS franchise) jersey. I really like their color scheme, plus Iā€™m originally from St. Louis, so thatā€™s a bonus.

2 Likes

Bean bag chair with gift card was nice. My gifts have been a nice balance of want and need with chair and back massage.

3 Likes

ohhhh never underestimate the power of a good bean bag chairā€¦ nice.

2 Likes

I got a little cast iron skillet with a Darth Vader pattern on it, a T-shirt with a picture of Jean-Luc Picard saying ā€œMake it snowā€ and another shirt with ā€œSloth Running Club: Weā€™ll Get There When We Get Thereā€ on it. And a new backpack to replace the one with a hole in it.

1 Like

I thought I had my parents pretty well trained not to buy me things, but this year my mom got me an off-brand hand mixer that I neither want, need, nor have space for.

1 Like

So far in 2023:
-a $150 gift card to Sideshow (already spent toward getting the new Ahsoka Tano 1/6th scale figure)
-a $100 gift card to Amazon
-$12,000 from my grandma. I :heart: my grandma so muchā€¦ And no, Iā€™m not going to blow it all at once. Iā€™ll use half to pay down some credit card debt thatā€™s been accumulating and put the other half in savings so I have a cushion for rainy-day expenses.

6 Likes

So far, Iā€™ve received a bread maker (which Iā€™ve used 3 times), a gift card, a t-shirt, two books, and a nice piece of galena (I work next to a geology museum and I was asked what my favorite mineral is). The rest will have to wait for Christmas.

4 Likes

When my 5 yo 75" Vizio died a couple weeks ago, I replaced it with another oneā€¦

Didnā€™t plan on spending over $600 on another HDTV but, Merry Xmas to me I guess :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

So far, a bunch of small gift cards from the kids at work (Tim Hortons, Door Dash, Amazon Prime) and also some chocolates.

Oh, and my friend gave me this.

He felt a bit silly since Iā€™m a grown man but no, it was a great choice. Because of my niece, somehow I became a 41 year old man who owns multiple stuffies.

But it is pretty awesome.

6 Likes