What movies have you rewatched the most?

There was a summer when I was a kid and our Mom would drop us off at the mall every morning on her way to work and pick us up on the way home. Teenagers spending all day in the mall in the 1980s… Good times.

Of course there was a lot of arcade game time, and hours at Waldenbooks, etc. But that summer there were two movies in the theater and I had time to kill … so I watched them multiple times. To this day I’ve never seen any other movie in the actual theater more than these two.

Krull and Octopussy.

To this day I still have a soft spot for both these movies even though they are clearly substandard in a lot of ways.

3 Likes

4 years ago I started a list for this, but abandoned it and never published, but my top 4 I had at…

And the notes?

Jaws
Saw it in theaters 3 times (twice on it original run, once for an anniversary showing) After that I caught it on TV, HBO. Bought it on VHS, then DVD and BD. It was my first favorite movie.

Jesus Christ Superstar
Saw it theatrically, on TV and also bought it on VHS, DVD and BD

Dirty Harry
Don’t own it and never saw it in theaters. All of my viewings came from HBO and VHS/Disc rentals.

RoboCop
I believe this is the first movie I ever owned on VHS (it was a used rental copy). Funny thing, I remember going to see this with my brother, and not really wanting to. It sounded ludicrous…however I did go, and wound up leaving the theater gob smacked. I adored it.

I watched that tape over and over and over again. I now own a remastered BD.

• I’ve also gone through the Bond and Godzilla franchise a number of times over the course of my life.
6 Likes

Insert John Hughes movie here.
Big Lebowski
Beetlejuice - It keeps getting funnier every single time I see it!
Anchorman
Step Brothers
Wayne’s World
BTTF trilogy
Die Hard trilogy
F13 (Paramount era)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

6 Likes

I’m with the Mod Squad (optiMSTie and LadyShelley) with “Jaws” and the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. “Twister” is a film I haven’t seen yet in this thread that I watch regularly.

One tier down for me: “The Hobbit” trilogy, the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series, the “Star Wars” series. “Big Trouble in Little China,” the Monty Python movies…

Oh, and I somehow never outgrew my fascination with Godzilla movies. Seeing gigantic kaiju battling whilst destroying urban centers never seems to get old for me.

For MST3K movies, “The Creeping Terror,” “Manos: The Hands of Fate,” and “Werewolf” are probably my most watched.

6 Likes

Awesome movie to rewatch a lot! Starman is my fave Carpenter joint, but I’ve probably watched The Thing the most out of everything he’s done.

As it should be.

4 Likes

I just wanted to throw out some advice for other folks who watch certain movies so often they know most of the dialog by heart. Over the last year or so, I’ve taken to viewing “1st Time Watching” reaction videos on YouTube. At first, the experience was wonderful, as I got to watch others experiencing scenes that I’d grown jaded with (Like, say, Hooper exploring the hole in Ben Gardner’s boat).

If you can do it in moderation, I strongly advise trying this out. Be forewarned, however, that it’s easy to watch a whole slew of 25-50 minute reaction videos on the same movie to the point where the new watchers’ reactions grow a bit stale…and you belatedly realize that you’re ruining your own rewatching potential at the same time.

4 Likes

The Warriors
12 Angry Men
Cool Hand Luke
The Heiress
Escape from New York
Evil Dead
The Jerk
Blues Brothers
Airplane
Young Guns
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Deadpool

6 Likes

Oh yeah, I should have put The Jerk on my list also. And Airplane – I’ll watch any Zucker brothers movie made before 2000 any time they’re on, up to infinity times.

8 Likes

I mean, there’s a bunch, as I’m kind of a film geek.

But I swear there’s one movie I simply cannot get enough of: A Damsel in Distress

The only screenplay P. G. Wodehouse ever wrote. Stars Fred Astaire and Burns and Allen. Songs by Gershwin.

I swear, again, that I cannot get enough of it.

6 Likes

Great film! The funhouse sequence is astounding.

2 Likes

Yeah, I forgot a whole bunch, these lists are great !

2 Likes

There are a lot of classic musicals I’ve only seen once or twice, but I’ll re-watch just specific musical numbers from them on YouTube all the time. Like I can live without ever seeing the rest of Dames again, but this part? This is one of the reasons I’m glad YouTube exists.

3 Likes

Just checked my Letterboxd stats, and my most watched film since joining them in 2015 is Hiroshima Mon Amour, with 5 viewings.

It was also the first movie I reviewed on that site

And then I wrote about it again, a year later

I dunno, I think I might really like it. lol

4 Likes

Hu, I’ve never seen this one, going to have to give it a go

Edit - just started it and Gracie is hilarious!

5 Likes

You may appreciate this then: the Face Melter guitar distortion pedal I just made. I used RoboCop, well, a still from it, as the graphic on the pedal cover:

“Don’t touch me, man!!!”

4 Likes

I’m going to have to look up that one.

5 Likes

Damn, forgot about my favorite movie from my year of birth. Many times on TBS in the late 90s.

Happy Sunday Church GIF

Might as well add classic Paramount era Eddie Murphy.

6 Likes

FYI. Criterion will be having their 50% off flash sale soon. Possibly next Tuesday. You could get those movies for just under $20. Amazon won’t be overdone, and may mirror those prices for the day. I’m not sure on that though.

5 Likes

Very, very good to know, that jazz. Thanks so much for the heads-up on that, @OfYourExistence!

3 Likes

Criterion charges for shipping under $75, so if you order from them, maybe see if they have 2 more movies you dig while you’re at it.

5 Likes