What'cha Reading?

Currently nothing! However, the second the mood strikes me again, I’ll be reading through Becky Chambers’ The Galaxy, and the Ground Within.

I’m such a sporadic reader. I’ll go months without picking up book, and then devour several in short order. However, I adore Chambers’ prior Wayfarer books, so I am looking forward to the latest and final installment.

4 Likes

Trevor Noah’s Born A Crime (non-fiction) I enjoyed his insight in relating what it was like to grow up in South Africa. Hops around a bit, and not my usual fare (bookclub is broadening my horizons :sweat_smile:), but enlightening, entertaining and thoughtful - recommended.

4 Likes

After a too-long break from the Discworld series, I am currently reading Terry Pratchett’s The Fifth Elephant. After this, I am going to continue reading the Discworld series chronologically. Each work of Terry Pratchett’s seems to get better than the last. I’ll be really sad when I finally reach the end of his bibliography.

I am also reading the Yotsuba manga series, having just started volume 13. It’s super cute and delightful. I honestly recommend it if you just want something wholesome.

Finally, once my hold arrives at the library, I will read the third book of the Mysterious Benedict Society series. I read the first two when I was a young kid, and I got into the series again after watching the Disney+ adaptation of the first installment. It may be a children’s book series, but it’s still very intelligent, and I’m enjoying myself a lot.

3 Likes

I do that as well.

I’m getting back into it as a means to get away from the damned screen. I spend too much time on this computer - so, shut it down, get out, get some sun and breathe some fresh air, take a walk around the park, meet your brother for lunch, go to the library, pick up and read a real, paper book (I focus better with those than reading on a screen). Things like that.

I put several on hold at the library, hence my current reading frenzy.

5 Likes

novelsearchers

The Searchers by Alan Le May
A lot grittier and sadder than the movie, mostly humorless, and what humor there is, isn’t of the broad, cartoonish kind Ford favored (which is the one thing I dislike about an otherwise brilliant movie). Also Mart is the primary protagonist, not Ethan (or as he’s called here, Amos).

A non-fiction book I’d highly recommend is The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend by Glenn Frankel. Which covers the real story that inspired the novel and the movie. I found it intense, well researched and balanced.

2 Likes

I’m just happy I finished Modelland and I never have to read it again!

mickey mouse happy dance GIF by hoppip

4 Likes

Saturday I finished The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow. A girl finds a door that leads to another world. Ten years later she starts to learn what they mean about her past and and her future.

I enjoyed this novel. January isn’t much of a heroine at first, but you see her grow into one. The story has powerful things to say about race and class, but it’s also about the power of imagination and affection. Definitely worth reading if you didn’t catch it when it came out a while back.

2 Likes

I just finished Broken by Caleb Carr. It wasn’t a great book, but once I start something I like to finish it.

Next on my list is the classic Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin.

After that I’ll be tackling the non-fiction Battle of Arnhem by Antony Beevor.

2 Likes

Right now, I’m getting close to finishing one of the MX Series of New Sherlock Holmes Stories books. It’s a long series of books, and I’m slowly trying to catch up. They’re long books, usually 400-500 pages each, and they’re current running a Kickstarter for volumes 28, 29, and 30.

1 Like

I just finished Naomi Novik’s “Deadly Education”. It’s well written, I couldn’t put it down, and I’m very much looking forward to the sequel coming out this month.

The premise can be boiled down to “What if Harry Potter, but Hogwarts – not the teachers, there aren’t any – kept trying to kill you?”

I just found it fascinating. The main character is a loser outsider, but partially because she is fighting against a prophecy and people’s expectations that she will turn evil.

I recommend it!

1 Like

I’m currently reading “Demian, The Story of Emil Sinclair’s Youth.” It’s by Hermann Hesse, a close, personal friend of CG Jung. Hesse had an uncanny knack for taking all the huge, lofty ideas of Jung’s psychological work and incorporating it seamlessly into his short, accessible, and entertaining novellas. Some longer novels embody some of Jung’s most difficult to grasp concepts. Hesse put these concepts into stories that anyone could use to decipher Jung’s innovative concepts about the human psyche and soul.

“Steppenwolf” is a particularly trippy book Hermann Hesse wrote about the nature of man and his ability to morph from one sort of person to another in a matter of minutes.

2 Likes

Neat. The Jung->Hesse relationship sounds similar to Russell->Borges, a pairing I’ve recently enjoyed seeing one author extrapolate another’s straightforward analyses into imaginative short stories. The only Jung I’ve got on the bookshelf is the Red Book, though, which I doubt qualifies as I think that’s more of a dream journal.

1 Like

il_1588xN.3314856079_ds0l

A rare re-read.

Ghost Story was a singular reading experience back in the day - the novel was all the buzz in '79, and when I got my copy I could not put it down, it chilled me to the bone and scared me senseless.

I was wary of revisiting it, and sadly, it didn’t have the same impact, the same level of intensity. I enjoyed it and found it eerie, but…

Oh well, I still have my memories of it in '79, that can’t be taken from me, even if I couldn’t replicate the experience.

4 Likes

I’ve got this on my Nook and I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I really, really should.

1 Like

This sounds like something I want to check out! I’ve read both books, though many years ago, but re-reading them after having read some Jung in the intervening time seems like an interesting idea.

1 Like

I finally had a vacation with uninterrupted reading time! I finished “Art and Physics” by Leonard Shlain, which I definitely recommend. I found the collected works of Jane Bowels at a secondhand shop on the trip as part of a “Neglected Books of the 20th Century” series and enjoyed checking that out. About 2 hours ago I finished “King, Queen, Knave” by Nabokov.

3 Likes

How was that one? I loved Lolita and Pale Fire, but have to admit that Ada defeated me, couldn’t finish it.

1 Like

It was only his second book, so I wouldn’t say it’s his best. The last few chapters when the madness starts setting into the “Queen” and “Knave” were the most interesting to me. There are still deft subtle descriptions throughout, but overall it’s pretty straightforward. Not a bad read, not terribly memorable, but interesting to see where he started as an artist if nothing else.

2 Likes

I’m in grad school so right now I’m reading “Technics and Civilizations” by Lewis Mumford, but when I need a break I’m reading the manga “Inu X Boku SS” or “Princess Jellyfish”

1 Like

I’m getting ready to start Vol. 3 of Gulag Archipelago.

2 Likes