What'cha Reading?

I read it at least once every year.

Ohio by Steve Markley.
I’m still on the fence about whether or not I’m going to continue this one.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s on my list…how was it?

1 Like

:+1:

Oh, sure, I’m not a n00b. Heh. I’m reading Bram Stoker currently.

Very true. I’m used to it now but the number of times I’ve said to myself, “Wait, this was the plot of a Scooby Doo episode, wasn’t it?” before I clued in is considerable.

2 Likes

Uncle Silas, which I loved. I plan to read more but need a break after that one.

1 Like

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #4
Been a few weeks since I read a comic book - this one was crushing - how much horror can Kara witness before she breaks? It’s a difficult read, SG started off helping a young woman find her father’s killer, only to discover that this guys reign of terror is bigger than she could have imagined.

Lots of painful emotion here, but well told by writer Tom King, with stunning art from Bilquis Evely… I love her linework.

4 Likes

Since I’m a HUGE Dark Tower fan, I’m currently going through all of Stephen King’s novels that reference to it, which is… well, 95% of all his books, so I’ve got a while to go.
Currently reading 'Salem’s Lot

5 Likes

I loved Dark Tower too… kind of a genius move in that he instantly created his own literary universe, via “levels of the Tower”, where he can cross over literally anything he’s ever written. (And seems pretty willing to do so.)

4 Likes

Dexter book series. I’m almost book two now. I made this bookmark to use while reading these particular books. :hocho: :drop_of_blood: :skull_and_crossbones:

6 Likes

The “Dexter” TV show is one of the times I really wish I had some graphical talent.

Why, you ask?

Because my mind thinks it would be the funniest thing ever to see the “Dexter” TV show intro animated in the style of “Dexter’s Laboratory”.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading Betty Smith’s books. I started with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, then Tomorrow Will be Better and now I’m reading Maggie Now.

4 Likes

“Last Call”, a book about Prohibition by Daniel Okrent. A fascinating time, and similar politically to today in a lot of ways.

2 Likes

I’ve seen and enjoyed the movie, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but have never read the book. Looks like her works are well received at goodreads. Are you liking them?

1 Like

R

Mid way through it - this is a black comedy about getting old (the title comes from a character who keeps receiving phones calls, where the caller says one phrase, “Remember that you will die” and then hangs up)

I attempted to get through one of Spark’s late novels, and it wasn’t so hot. But this is reminding me what I like about her. It was written before Brody, not as experimental, very early Waugh-like.

Aside from The Drivers Seat, which was about an individual, her novels have been about communities - a school, a boarding house, and here, an old folks home and 1 particular household. It’s a point of strength for the author, I really like her character interactions.

Plus, it’s a good time in my life to read it, as it’s speaking to me more, as a 60-year-old, than it would have had I read it in my teens.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m really enjoying them! They’ve been a great distraction over the last year +. I’ve never seen the film version of A Tree Grows but will have to check it out.

1 Like

My current fiction-nonfiction-graphic triad.

TheWomanInBlack

The Woman In Black is a horror classic that I’ve seen multiple film adaptations of yet never read the novel. The author does an amazing job of sounding like the time period she is trying to convey, rather than the time it was written.

Designing The Final Frontier is a great exploration of the real mid-century modern pieces (furniture, housewares, decorations, etc), that went into the original Star Trek, and how together they shaped some of the ways we imagine the future now.

Land Of The Lustrous is a very unusual manga. It is ostensibly a magical girl manga, except here the “girls” are beings literally made of various gemstones. I can’t say too much because it’s much better discovered, but I will say the art style is astounding. It’s like manga filtered through a minimalist version of Art Nouveau. Think Aubrey Beardsley coupled with Moebius, then covered in Buddhist mythology.

4 Likes

I keep meaning to add The Woman in Black to my “to read” list.

2 Likes

Just something profound. You know, like from the the Psalms, or the Upanishads, or even the Desiderata, for that matter.

2 Likes

Hit the antiques mall today and picked up a hardcover copy of “The Green Mile” by Stephen King, and vintage paperbacks of “The Moon Pool” by A. Merritt and “Star Songs of an Old Primate,” a collection of short stories by James Tiptree, Jr. (pen name of Alice Bradley Sheldon).

3 Likes

Halfway through The Employees. The entire novel seems to be written as a collection of statements from the humans and humanoids who live and work on the Six-Thousand Ship. You slowly piece things together from what they each bring to the table. Quite enjoying it so far.

3 Likes

Now I’m kicking off the spooky reads season with some gothic lit (courtesy of another Kickstarter).

1 Like