What's your white whale?

Amazing! Thank you!

1 Like

I salute you sir! And yeah, The show itself is kinda hard to watch now knowing what the actors had to endure.

2 Likes

Stretching the premise of the thread a bit. I hope that’s okay. Below is a link for a defunct kids’ TV show which ran all of one episode before disappearing forever. But because it was relentlessly promoted for weeks beforehand, the theme song is still with me decades after the fact.

https://www.lostmediawiki.com/The_Dipsy_Doodle_Show_(lost_animated_special;_1974)

I’m just wondering if anyone else here ever saw it.

4 Likes

Also, I would give unspecified body parts for full sets of Curiosity Shop and The Tomfoolery Show.

2 Likes

Remember the first one, mostly because a grade school pal had the lunchbox and matching Thermos. I was jealous!

Not the second one, though. Maybe our local affiliate didn’t pick it up.

2 Likes

Yes, I did see it when it aired. I was 8 years old and don’t remember too many specifics about it, but I definitely did see it.

3 Likes

I think they aired it here during the day on July 4th. Maybe that’s why it failed. Every self-respecting kid was running around outside and eating too many grilled treats that day.

1 Like

Already found my White Whale. Well, one episode of it. I documented my search for a Nickelodeon variety show that only aired two episodes in the late 90’s and a couple years later, somebody found it and uploaded the episode I remember seeing online.

I felt so accomplished when we managed to actually find this thing, you have no idea.

4 Likes

This is one I know of but it is hard to find it online. I can only find one episode and it is one made long after I watched and doesn’t resemble the show of my memory, save some format. It’s a show called Blue Rainbow, a series made in New Brunswick, Canada to teach kids about oral storytelling (of the gaelic tradition) and always felt weird and melancholy to me and my friends. This is all I could find, which feels sunnier and has two idiot man-children I don’t remember at all.

3 Likes

It’s been a year and I’m still pulling my hair out trying to find this movie I saw several years ago, figured it was worth another shot since we’ve got a lot more people here.

I saw it on Netflix maybe 6-7 years ago. It was an action movie, fast-paced, about a group of people with latent skills (not quite superheros, but kinda) gathered to hunt and destroy a demon (might have been “the devil”). One character was a sexy schoolgirl type who was good with guns, always sucking on a lollipop; another was a woman who was betrayed by her husband and could telekinetically manipulate rope (tie people up, slice them up, etc.). The movie was visceral and very violent. Took place in the modern day. My guess is that it was made/released between 2000 and 2010.

It was not a U.S. movie; I’m almost positive it was South American, maybe Portuguese or Brazilian? I want to say “Demon Squad” or “Devil Hunters” or something like that, but I’ve tried every variation I can think of with no luck. “Demon Squad” is apparently indeed a movie, but it’s not this one.

I’ve even found a few sites that claim to search movies based on a description I enter, but no luck. I suspect the title on Netflix was an English translation, not necessarily the movie’s original title. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Could it have been the Mexican TV series Diablero?

I guess that would be too recent.

1 Like

When I was a kid, the local TV station would show old comedies on Sunday afternoons - Abbot & Costello, WC Fields, etc.

I saw one movie that had Burns and Allen taking a motor trip with another couple, WC Fields was in it, and every time they would stop someplace Gracie would introducer herself, ‘My name is Grace but everyone calls me Gracie for short’, which I thought was hilarious! Those were the only things I could remember about it, and I never thought I’d be able to track it down, and then one day I found it at my public library! It’s called Six of a Kind and it was just as funny as I remembered it.

Now if I can ever track down The Big Broadcast of 1938, my nostalgia will be complete.

ETA: of course, after typing this, I went to look for it again, and it’s on YouTube! I am a happy camper!

5 Likes

Are you sure about that?

1 Like

Unfortunately I am sure, though I already forgot about that Demon Squad being a new MST episode! The one I’m thinking of is really well-made; top quality photography and visual effects, definitely not riffing fodder.

Any thoughts on other South American countries that have produced quality movies in recent history? I feel like knowing the country of origin might help me in my quest.

3 Likes

Argentina? Here’s everything Letterboxd has listed from 2000 to 2009

‎Browse Films • Letterboxd

4 Likes

Argentina makes a lot of good films (in my understanding).

3 Likes

I have a number of things I’ve tried to track down without success–

Long long long ago there was a joke website for the Planet of Alderaan Chamber of Commerce. It was presented as a 404 page, claiming their main servers were done, like for example, their planet had been destroyed by some hypothetical super-weapon. I have searched and searched for it since then, but have not found any magic words to dredge it up from the Wayback Machine. There’s a number of sites like that. Some of the content from Timmy Big Hands (early web comedy magazine made by some of the MST folk for a few months after the show wrapped) is lost that way, probably forever.

There’s some other things. Many of them are public television. I was out of school a lot as a kid, and so I watched a lot of these shows local public stations would show during the school day, for teachers to record and later use in classrooms. Two particular shows of that genre, one was made for adults, and was a relaxed show about a husband and wife pair of interior house painters trying to get their GEDs, who would help each other learn algebra concepts while they worked. Since they were going to paint the walls anyway, they marked up the walls with diagrams and equations as they went. It had a nice low-key vibe.

Another such show was an early example of computer animation, in which robot characters demonstrated high-school math concepts in a humorous way.

Two shows of this type that I remembered I managed to track down. One was Read All About It, a weird sci-fi show with a strong early Doctor Who vibe from TV Ontario. It was about kids who were left a coach house by a missing uncle, who it turns out had invented a couple of robots (one was basically just a computer monitor, the other an IBM Selectric typewriter) and a teleportation machine. It was very weird and creepy. The other was Two Plus You, about a young kid named Eric who often helped out at a toy store where, unbeknownst to the owners and visitors, the toys were alive. Here’s one episode, but this one is ultimately more entertaining. There’s some unexpected star power in them: the second link has Saul Rubinek in it, and Oswald the Owl at the end of both is voice actor Bob Dermer.

3 Likes

Oh, and there’s the unexplainable Wordsmith, “with your host BOB SMiTH.” Only one full episode is on Youtube. What is up with that machine he puts the ball into?? There’s two other clips, one is just the opening, the other shows off the “word cell” ANIM. Tracking that one down took forever.

EDIT: Several episodes are currently up at the University of Indiana!

2 Likes

I found it! That Letterboxd site was the key. It’s Daemonium: Soldier of the Underworld (Daemonium: Soldado del Inframundo).

Turns out it was from 2015, so I was off by a few years. I pored over 3,500 thumbnails starting with the year 2000 until it jumped out at me.

Thanks so much @JakeGittes! It doesn’t seem to be available to stream anywhere, which is fine, I only hope I can now find it on disc to buy.

4 Likes

I thought of one the other day- I had this book when I was a kid, it was a fictional book all about UFOs and aliens done like a U.S. intelligence dossier complete with lots of illustrations. Every few pages was about a different alien species. It had ‘Project Blue Book’ and ‘Project Cyclops’ stamped on the outside if I recall correctly and a blue cover. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was satire, but I wouldn’t have gotten that at the age I was when I had it.

3 Likes