Worst Song Ever

OK, enough playing around with “it’s overplayed” or “his voice is like a combination of fingernails on a chalkboard and three tons of gravel going through a woodchipper.” Let’s get down to brass tacks: objectively, unequivocally god-awful.

If you were around in the ‘70s you may remember this one, though it’s more likely you’ve blocked it out. Possibly with the help of therapy.

I give you … “Telephone Man” by Meri Wilson.

4 Likes

Well, there’s this one of course. You have been warned.

4 Likes

Oof.

But TT’s cover of “Stairway To Heaven” beats the original version hands down! :man_dancing:t3:

2 Likes

i don’t know if this the worst of all time but this is IMHO the worst beatles track… MR, MOONLIGHT…cover version of sub par ballad with lackluster performance but what really kills the song is kongo drums and skating rink organ…just a really bad track from the rock and roll royalty

1 Like

Mr Moonlight (Remastered 2009) - YouTube

I class that as a “novelty song”, alongside drek like “The Streak” and “Disco Duck”. All such songs are almost universally awful after the first listen. Or during it. About the only one I can stand to sit through is “Shaving Cream”.

3 Likes

Agreed. I think what makes that one stand out to me is that it was on mainstream radio and charted pretty highly. Things were different in 1977, he understated.

2 Likes

I still think “Mr. Jaws” is funny. It’s probably part of what inspired me to become a collage maker, so… Sorry? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve Been to Paradise (But I’ve Never Been To Me)

The worst song ever. But perversely it is so so singable. A slow 70s’s ballad about travesty of a woman NOT settling down and having babies. I flip off the sound system every time - while singing my heart out. Darn you Priscilla Queen of the Desert for making this my love-hate earworm

"Sometimes I’ve been to crying for unborn children
That might have made me complete
But I, I took the sweet life
I never knew I’d be bitter from the sweet

I spent my life exploring
The subtle whoring
That costs too much to be free
Hey lady I’ve been to paradise
But I’ve never been to me…"

3 Likes

You literally can’t be anything in this life but a highly-paid lonely sex addict or a whiny Stepford Wife who never gets to leave the house. That’s it, Girls. Now gimme’ money!

2 Likes

Such big shot ego there.

1 Like

It is a fun single, but it’s in another category to me. It’s very forward-thinking, in that it’s virtually a riff/mashup of other songs. It almost feels like it fell out of the future in that regard.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone’s ever written a novelty song about what a misnomer the term really is. Romance is our default popular song setting, and yet most of the average person’s time isn’t really spent pursuing romance.

I apologize in advance for this: Billy Ocean’s “Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car)”

4 Likes

This phrase has brought delight to a friend and me for thirty years. We’ve probably got more mileage out of it than Charlene.

Of course, people who only know Charlene for “I’ve Never Been To Me” have missed out on this overwrought bit of social commentary from her that managed to drag Stevie Wonder into it.

2 Likes

Just wow

1 Like

Paul Anka, “(You’re) Having My Baby.” Go to hell, Paul.

6 Likes

I made it through half of that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s certainly something. Stevie must have lost a bet.

1 Like