Worst Song Ever

Much like poor Smokey Robinson doing that terrible closing theme for Solarbabies.

1 Like

Objection! Hyperbole exceeds federally allowed maximums.

ā€œNoveltyā€ songs can be great, and are no more or less inclined to inanity than any other genre, and if it seems that they do, itā€™s only because we excuse others. Sir McCartney might complain that ā€œsilly love songsā€ donā€™t get a pass, but they really do.

What percentage of the songs in the Halloween thread, e.g., are novelty songs?

Jonathan Coulton, Randy Newman, They Might Be Giants, Weird Al, Tom Lehrer, Frank Zappa!

Here are some classics:

Friendship (Judy and Johnny Mercer)

Lazy Bones (Hoagy Carmichael, lyrics by Mercer)

Hell, Iā€™ll even go with a couple '70s ones:

Unrequited To The Nth Degree (Loudon Wainwright)

I even think ā€œJunk Food Junkieā€ holds up pretty well despite the many dated references:

3 Likes

It does have that ultra-bombastic Eighties production, but itā€™s a decent melody for the time and his vocals are appealing. DJ DiscoCat on YouTube has a remix of an 1980 song he did called ā€œStay The Night,ā€ which I think is better but wasnā€™t nearly as commercially successful. The production is lighter, so it doesnā€™t sound so much like Ocean is fighting to be heard above the din.

2 Likes

Note use of legal wiggle-word ā€œalmostā€. This gives me sufficient latitude to allow any exceptions while still painting with a broad brush. I may be a demagogue, but Iā€™m a cheap demagogue. :grin:

5 Likes

Curse you, SandyFrank! You win this round with your fiendish machinations!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve read at least one interview with a former Beatle (definitely Paul, possibly George as well) in which they basically said ā€œJohn loved that song, and no matter how hard we tried, we couldnā€™t talk him out of recording a version.ā€ So youā€™re not alone in this opinion.

1 Like

Agreed. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. hate this song with the heat of a thousand suns.

1 Like

Charleneā€™s ā€œIā€™ve Never Been To Meā€ has been mentioned several times on this thread. I stumbled across this today - some twisted visionary has turned the song into a short screenplay.

1 Like

Aw see now THAT didnā€™t need to happen.

2 Likes

5 Likes

In more ways than one.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that. Just trying to live up to the post title, and that oneā€™s a legit contender.

2 Likes

Yes. Truly awful.

1 Like

If it had been obscure that would have been one thing, but:

hit single, climbing the to No. 6, spending ten weeks in the listings, as well as making it to No. 9 in Ireland and New Zealand and No. 18 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. It reached No. 42 in Australia and was also a minor hit in Canada (No. 76). It became a gold record, selling over one million copies in the U.S. alone. ā€œTelephone Manā€ and ā€œTelephone Line,ā€ ELOā€™s song, were back-to-back on the Hot 100ā€™s top 40 for two non-consecutive weeks in the summer of 1977.

2 Likes

I weep for the person who bought the single Telephone Man thinking they were getting ELO.

4 Likes

ā€œTelephone Lineā€ is pretty milquetoast itself. Iā€™m much more about ā€œTurn To Stone.ā€

2 Likes

I imagine it took a minute or two to realize their mistake, but maybe not much longer.
/thinlyveileddigatelo>

1 Like

:open_mouth:
ā€œTelephone Lineā€ is one of the greatest records ever made!

2 Likes

[shrug] I like them better when theyā€™re uptempo. As phone-related ballads go, I like Jim Croceā€™s ā€œOperator (Thatā€™s Not The Way It Feels).ā€

6 Likes

I never have, and probably never will, like ā€œI Will Always Love Youā€. Not just played to death, itā€™s a sappy song lacking any kind of virtuosity to me. I assume its initial success was due to its cinematic tie-in, and it entered the Hits Canon from there. But I dunna like it at all.

6 Likes