Worst Song Ever

He mentions some people I never heard of. But nobody who I needed to know about, so that’s fine.

Definitely on the same page with him regarding Corey Hart. Hated that dude’s shtick forever. As schlocky as Cetera can be, at least he doesn’t constantly sound like he’s trying to pass a kidney stone in mid-lyric.

2 Likes

But that lyric was never used. I meant the lyric that was used from the song’s debut in Meet Me in St. Louis until Sinatra had them changed later.

4 Likes

Hey, when Frankie changes a lyric it STAYS changed. If it knows what’s good for it.

5 Likes

“Siddown, Junior.”

3 Likes

I have never heard of 7 or 4. Chris always picks some rather weird song for number 4 on these lists.

3 Likes

The first half of the song is about encountering rap music for the first time. I’ve always thought that it conveys that pretty clearly. Though the second half, which I think starts as a metaphor for this new music being alien to them, kind goes off the rails into the tales of the martian. Though it’s pretty are pretty clear what is going on in the story to me. Pretty much a silly sci-fi movie in song, so I don’t get the ‘gibberish’ part. Also, it does finished by bringing it back together with the martian (rapper) eating guitars (rock), basically making a statement about how as alien as this music is to them it shares much in common.

As far as repetitive, it’s got like 8 or nine verses that don’t repeat at all. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Knee Deep in the Hoopla…

Bad musicians don’t make the worst music. It’s when otherwise talented and accomplished artists turn in empty soulless garbage that the really deep hurting starts. Written by a committee (that included Peter Wolfe and Bernie Taupin!) this is so empty that the void it created sucks in everything that once made this band great rendering them unidentifiable.

3 Likes

(I just want to make it clear that the Peter Wolf who co-wrote We Built This City is not the Peter Wolf from the J. Geils Band… it’s a different guy. Saying this as a favor to him because I like the J. Geils Band and he would want the record set straight.)

7 Likes

huh, I always thought it was. Lern sumthin nu…

3 Likes

Pat Finnerty has done several of “What Makes this Song Stink” videos. He’s a funny guy and knows his music too. This is probably my favorite and features a band that has made a few contenders for this topic…

2 Likes

Oh God, that Train song. That… Train song. :rage:

2 Likes

I’ll see your Santa Dog 88 and raise it with my go-to holiday song:

2 Likes

Given the forum we are on it doesn’t seem too much of a stretch to extend the topic to ‘worst songs in movies’, or more so, ‘worst use of songs in movies’.

It has been said that in The Joker stairs scene the choice of Rock n’ Roll Part 2, for multiple reasons, was a bad one. So bad, in fact, that literally any other song would have worked better.

I’ve yet to see this thesis disproven, case in point:

2 Likes

Which brings up another thread, Worst Dance by a Psychopath.

3 Likes

not sure about worst, but pretty sure this is best…

6 Likes

Some questionable decisions were made here…

2 Likes

I can’t tell you what the worst song ever is, because I have not heard it, and if I had, I would not have thought enough about it tell anyone what it was. If a song has made you remember it, it has done the one thing that any song should do, and by that merit it can hardly be described as the “worst song ever”.

Much like every country having a monster, every song has someone who loves it. I have had enough people tell me that the music I like is not worth listening to, so I find it really hard to get down on the music someone else loves.

3 Likes

That is a mature, insightful and thoroughly respectable way to look at it. But there’s something to be said for context, and in a safe space among friends, I think sometimes it’s okay to crave getting our hands dirty a bit and just come out and say that Bob Seger’s “Little Drummer Boy” is an abomination. For example.

5 Likes

Hey, that’s a little meta, isn’t it?

Glover isn’t playing a psychopath in that movie, he’s about to be the victim of one!

2 Likes
2 Likes