1205. Killer Fish (1979)

Love this episode. I have a soft spot for crime trash in general, and in the context of that I sorta love the premise if the movie. But of course the execution is hilariously hammy, the print looks good, and the riffs are great. Plus it’s got that tune (posted above) by Growler & co.

4 Likes

Random note: this is the episode I threw on to wind down after the Kickstarter telethon, and therefore was the backdrop to the sound of my credit card screaming “WTF?!?” when the charge came through. :joy:

5 Likes

He also got smoked by Arnie in Total Recall.

3 Likes

arachnophobiairv

AND he was Irv in Arachnophobia!

4 Likes

@optiMSTie And he was Federal Agent Davis in Tango & Cash (1989).

5 Likes

I rewatched Arachnophobia recently and it’s such a better movie than I remember. It doesn’t do anything mind bending, but it’s a tight script that’s well paced and nicely executed. It’s the kind of thing you could use to teach a commercial screenwriting course.

4 Likes

Casting was really good as well. Everybody, right down to Bunny the neighbor kid was spot on.

2 Likes

The assembling of talent is where the movie shines. How the people are used is another story. Nevertheless the personalities up the ante.

4 Likes

This is an AMAZING poster. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

The kerning suggests that the title is actually Killerfish

3 Likes

While we (specifically me) are on the subject of this movie, who wants the Killer Fish combo meal?

3 Likes

I’m in on the Stouffer’s Lasagna and the Kool-Aid. Exactly like Bill Murray, blood sausages is where I draw the line.

1 Like

Gene Siskel reviews Killer Fish (1979) and City on Fire (1979) in this Dog of The Week Siskel & Ebert Montage.

While this may be yet another attempt to cash in on the Hostile Aquatic Life trend started by Jaws, at heart it’s a crime drama. And as is often the case, this means none of the characters are particularly sympathetic or likable. Rather like Diabolik, but without the wave of massive collateral damage. This is probably for the best though. All too often, attempts to provide moral justification in this sort of movie caper end up being forced and unconvincing.

Even the non-crook characters are unappealing. Ollie, with his obese form, nasal voice, and stereotypical Ugly American Tourist mannerisms, was pretty much doomed to be piranha chow from the start. Speaking of stereotypes, Margaux Hemingway (granddaughter of author Ernest Hemingway) conforms to the ones about models who take a shot at screen acting. That lisp is particularly distracting.

One thing that can be said for Lee Majors, though. He may be at best a mediocre actor, but he has a really intense stare.

3 Likes

Majors is nice to look at, too.

What? What? I’m Gen-X okay?!?!

1 Like