1205. Killer Fish (1979)

Plenty of bankable names and directed by Tarantino idol Antonio Margheriti, Killer Fish (1979) according to Monthly Film Bulletin “appears to have a greater budget than Piranha” and “exhibits considerably less imagination.” Sporting Lee Majors, Karen Black, Margaux Hemingway, Marisa Berensen, James Franciscus, the Italian-French-Brazilian romp grants the title critters star status as the movie stars “line up to be a hot lunch.” “Idiot Control Now”, Alchemy Glue, Time-Travel Oven, Where are the Killer Fish?, Apollo 13-ing the movie. “Now remember, this is a stealth mission!”, “A tanker car filled with kettle corn, No!”, “Keep me in your thoughts, won’t you?” “Sir Lew Grade” or “Flatland: The Motion Picture”?

10 Likes

MST3K Season 12 Movie Title Riffs.

2 Likes

Below The Dam.

8 Likes

Beyond Atlantis reminded me of some parts of this movie. Any time those characters were underwater I’d start singing “Oh no there are no sea anemones to see!”

7 Likes

Fun Fact: Margaux Hemmingway “won” the Worst Supporting Actress Award in the Stinkers Bad Movie Awards for her role in this movie.

3 Likes

I watched a double feature of riffftrax The Last Shark & Killer Fish earlier in the week. It hit the spot. :facepunch:t3::beers::boom:

5 Likes

So this is the old heist movie where they yawn run into some kind of disaster afterwards plot, and I think yawn a photo shoot is going on at the same time to introduce a… zzzzz… Huh, sorry, love interest or something? My memory of this one is that it was surprisingly dull and really needed the riffs to keep it going.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed the Killer Fish wasn’t served with a side order of French fries, lemon and malt vinegar.

2 Likes

A favorite of mine - so '70s, with so many crazy name actors in it and weird performers. Like Devil Fish before it, it seems disliked by fans and I don’t know why. They’re both very solid episodes. You can’t go wrong with Karen Black!

6 Likes

Not for Lipstick, huh? That’s a surprise. (And no I’ve never watched that and I’m positive that I never will.) I feel bad making fun of her, given her awful demise. But Good Gravy her barely audible voice and constant lisping makes me want to scream!

2 Likes

Now this. THIS is my favorite Netflix episode out of 20 on the platform.

5 Likes

My favorite of this not-a-full-season, for sure. <3 This is the kind of movie that’s custom-made for riffing and they roll with it effortlessly.

3 Likes

Trailer.

This seemed like a movie of the week that during productions someone decided was good enough to be a feature film. But then forgot to budget for a feature film.

3 Likes

Most of the funds poured into the cast seemingly. :wink:

3 Likes

Paradise Below the Dam is one of the most boldest things they ever attempted in the theater and I love it! Just watched the clip posted above and I laughed so hard! :laughing:

This is a great experiment and you can see The Gauntlet is finishing very strong!

2 Likes

For Babylon 5 fans who find Ollie to be naggingly familiar, he was Brother Alwyn in the Season 4 finale The Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

3 Likes

YES!! I didn’t even realize that but wow you’re right, that is him! The world, once again, becomes a little smaller, unlike the giant waffle Ollie died on…

1 Like

Can I just say that I love the host segment where the gang (INCLUDING Growler and Waverly) speculate on what kind of fish that the Killer Fish of the title might actually be? Just a wonderful bit of MST3K zaniness and creativity, and Waverly thinking that the Killer Fish could be starlings is terrifically goofy character definition.

From what I remember the gang saying (or at least by way of Patton Oswalt), it seems that this might have been the most punishing movie in Season 12 in terms of posing problems for the writing team. I get that, because all that drawn-out footage of the fish doing their thing could go on and on. It gave rise to “Below the Dam,” and I enjoyed that very much.

PLUS, it gave us Jonah calling Crow “Tin-Canuel Miranda” for the lyrics: “You can spray your poison spray can / We’ll still chew you up like ba-can.” (Making this all the better is the fact that Lin-Manuel Miranda has made it known elsewhere that he loves the new MST3K. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! )

As for the episode itself, I dig it well enough, since it combines two types of films that I love: crime movies and MONSTERS KILL ERRYTHING movies.

Servo’s in-theater singing about Lee Majors “with a piranha on his ass” = A+

And I love how the Ford Fairlane riff towards the end FINALLY brings back the wave of Andrew Dice Clay riffing that made Season 11 a hoot.

6 Likes

Also also, Synthia is given more to do with the whole liquid song thing, which is always a win.

3 Likes