1301- your thoughts

And, yet, no jokes about The Time Tunnel. Shame.

9 Likes

santo sidekick

For the first time, we may have found someone lamer than Sid Melton.

4 Likes

Just finished 1301, and here are my thoughts. First, kudos to everyone’s hard work pulling this off in the time of Covid–a monumental job under ideal circumstances, a miracle under these.

What worked for me? Great choice of movie, Jonah and the bots hitting their stride (much easier to tell them apart now). Max didn’t have much to do, but I loved him in past seasons, and I feel Patton really has a bead on the character. Sidenote: As much as I love Felicia Day, I still feel like she (and/or the writers) haven’t quite figured out the Kinga character. Maybe it’s just me, but Kinga still feels unformed–still trying to dial in that certain something that Dr. Forrester and Pearl had. Could part of it be the lack of crazy hair and over-the-top makeup? Dunno. But there’s something missing, IMO.

Like others have pointed out, I really, really intensely dislike the green screen–desperately hoping this was just a Covid-era necessity. Please build real sets for next season–even if they’re cheesy and cheap. Hell, especially if they’re cheesy and cheap. I loved the old kit-bashed backgrounds and the hexfield viewscreen, and the depth of Deep 13 and Castle Forrester.

Comedy is really subjective, and I’m glad others found the riffs funny on this one. I…didn’t. I dearly wanted to, lord knows. But to me–again, I’m glad others’ mileage varies–it felt like the riffs were almost early drafts, and just needed some more polishing in the writers’ room. Also, it’s possible I’m just old. Throw in some pop culture references from the '60s & '70s, and I’m usually happy.

Didn’t hate the new version of the theme song, but didn’t love it, either. I need to go back and re-watch it, but my first impression was it seemed a little…busy. I’ll give it another go–maybe it’ll grow on me.

Lastly–and admittedly, this is kind of a minor quibble–can we increase the size of the silhouettes? Man, you can barely see them down there. They’re like 1/2 the size of the old Joel days. Any smaller, and this would be Rifftrax (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Yikes, really didn’t mean for this to seem so critical. I love that MST3K keeps on keepin’ on, and I’m proud to be a backer. I will never NOT be a backer. But like everyone, I want it to be the best it can be. And of course, this is like, just my opinion, man.

Thanks for the opportunity to express these thoughts. The MST community is the greatest community in the woild!

6 Likes

Yes, it became available Friday night/Saturday morning around 12:15AM.

2 Likes

It’s ok- this is hopefully a safe place for people to list the things they loved, and they things that need a litt more attention. Being a little critical is not a bad thing! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I miss Kinga’s old hairstyle. Who knows? Maybe it will return later.

4 Likes

After a few days to think about it, I think I know why the theme song hits wrong for me: It’s about Kinga, not the test subjects. In the past. the song was focused on the idea that Joel, Mike, and Jonah were there against their will and what they had to endure. Now it’s about Kinga and her KingaDome invention.

I understand the reason for the change. Three different hosts mean you can’t have a singular theme, and I think they are trying to include us as viewers into the test subject category as well. I think that’s what will take getting used to for me.

12 Likes

Just looking at the theme song again and freeze framing, the marquee of the Gizmoplex has photos of (I think) (from L to R) Pearl, Kinga, Max, Synthia, Joel (in glasses), Max Again, TV’s Frank, Dr F, Emily, Jonah, and Mega Synthia. Max doubled himself up to get his picture next to both Kinga and Frank.

8 Likes

Patton has a really good Agent.

3 Likes

Yeah, he must, just look at how many times you see him in things. If he’s not in a commercial, he’s narrating a tv show, or playing a wacky villain’s(?) son on a crazy cool streamed show.

2 Likes

We had the same, we switched the receiver to 7 channel stereo instead of movie surround and that helped balance the volume better. Something to try anyway!

4 Likes

Nah. I think what happened was that after Moon 13 (alongside 14, and probably 15) blew up, part of Kinga’s hair disintigrated, so she then got a fresh new haircut.

3 Likes

Those little “moon 13, the moon” buttons that Patton Oswalt narrated were my favorite Netflix addition. Absolutely loved 'em–they totally nailed the local/UHF tv ad lead-ins from my youth. I stopped whatever I was doing and watched anytime they came on.

9 Likes

I seem to be very much in the minority, but I really liked the Jonah-era riffing pace on Netflix, and missed it a bit on the new episode. (I also like the slower pace from the old days–room for both.)

7 Likes

I personally would LOVE if they brought back the "moon 13, the moon” type station identifications and had one of their homemade MST created backer commercials at each one.

We got three of those commercials at this streaming event.

If you did a Patton station ID at the 15 minute mark, 45 minute mark and 75 minute mark, that would allow each ad to play once at those points.

Then you still could include an intermission if so inclined.

I just feel that would pace out the flow of the breaks REALLY nicely as opposed to one very long break in the middle.

16 Likes

Sweet spot for me is somewhere in the middle; a little bit faster pace on the jokes, but not so many that I can’t really track what’s going on in the movie.

I do really appreciate the efforts not to talk over dialogue most of the time.

4 Likes

Every corporation, once it reaches a certain size and marketshare, automatically goes into “hoard everything and allow nothing” mode. They live in fear that even the slightest degree of permissiveness will cost them money in future. It’s not rational, but giant stacks of money can easily cause irrationality.

6 Likes

I will give credit to Netflix for one thing. At least they allowed MST3K to last two seasons on the sevice.

7 Likes

Why does Netflix claim to own anything, at least from season 11? That was paid for by us, not by them.

6 Likes

Got to disagree there. I love The mads are back… saw them live 4 times.

The volume problems on their streams is the big reason I don’t watch them.

MST3K has a multimillion dollar budget there is no reason the sound should be that bad.

3 Likes