1301- your thoughts

I agree. I understand why they felt forced to do things this way, but we’ve all been living the Covid fake-backround endless zoom meeting nightmare and some actual sets would really have made me happy, even if, or maybe particularly if, they’d been made in a couple of booze soaked all nighters by monkeys with hot melt glue guns

10 Likes

the wrestling host segment was great. baron’s macho man voice was so damn funny and the concept was awesome.

14 Likes

It should be available now – and for the last couple hours! Right after the event ends – as we learned tonight – the system takes about an hour to encode the video and then it becomes available again. Were you able to see it yet?

9 Likes

In The Bots Who Loved Me?

4 Likes

I already have one. Been wearing it for years and I don’t think a chupacabra has ever come within 100 miles of me.

12 Likes

Your comment does a much better job of articulating my thoughts than my own comment.

I would rather have seen a physical set that looked bananas than a greenscreen that was doing its best to look professional.

I guess for me part of the magic of this show was that for many years it convinced me I was stuck in a room with some bored, funny people who were making the best of it. But the greenscreen really fights the feeling that you’re occupying a specific space with these characters.

12 Likes

See, maybe it’s just me having watched a bunch of online reviewers using it in the past (and most of them being 1 person operations), but I feel the greenscreen still has that low budget charm that the old show did. Even more so because set design costs quite a bit in the long run.

12 Likes

futuramaseconded

9 Likes

That’s fair (although the old show did use greenscreen for the door sequence).

I do admit having the physical set was nice as you could look around (and I do miss the Hexfield too).

6 Likes

What a profoundly weird movie.

12 Likes

I wish I could’ve talked my wife into getting a commercial for her business, but they don’t really sell to the general public, so it wouldn’t have made sense. Still…

4 Likes

Overall I really enjoyed the new episode a lot, but I am going to need to watch it again by itself to form a full opinion.

The new theme song will take some getting used to and so will the green screen stuff, but I really like that we’re basically getting modern DIY stuff now in the same vein as the old school DIY stuff we got in the original seasons. It obviously doesn’t have the same look and feel as the physical sets and props that we are used to, but it works for me and I think will grow on me even more with time. The riffing was great all the way through, although it defintely picked up considerably in the second half. The riff pacing was much more relaxed and in-line with what we were used to from the original 10 seasons and that was a welcome surprise!

Ultimately I can’t wait to see what else they have in store for us with the rest of the season and beyond! Technical difficulties aside, the live stream was a total blast and I can’t wait for every single one that we are getting this year! Thankfully we have these forums to use versus the unreadable chat so I look forward to hanging out with you all much more throughout the rest of these live events!

Edit: Praise the White Dot!

6 Likes

Overall, I liked the episode and the pacing of the riffs seemed more natural, though a bit rough to balance sound with the quiet movie and louder riffs. I didn’t even mind the greenscreen during most of the host segments, but the stuff with Felicia and Patton seemed fairly disjointed and out-of-scale, and I love those two. I also wasn’t a fan of the new intro. I hope the skeleton crew can be exhumed from Deep 13 (even if they have to find a new lead singer), and that we can return to a physical set for Season 14.
I know there were a lot of troubles working with COVID restrictions, but I hope we see a bit better compositing as we go forward.

6 Likes

I definitely get that stance, but there’s a line between “homey DIY” and “cheap”, which I felt some of the episode’s segments fell on the wrong side of that line. It’s probably fairly difficult to balance with the tools that were available, though.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree and I had some minor quibbles with them at first, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering everything they had to deal with to even make these episodes happen. At the very least they are laying the groundwork for the future with these episodes and I’m happy that we’re getting anything at all.

6 Likes

I’ll admit, I was taken aback by the lack of models, but I can appreciate covid restrictions affecting that. The audio issues were also painful. I really hope we get a proper synced version soon. I wasn’t even able to pay attention to the new intro since I was so distracted by the syncing issues.

The whole thing was saved by the fact that it was very funny. Jonah and the bots were on point with the jokes. The costumes and sketches were also good. I may have a larger stack of complaints than praise, but the praiseworthy stuff tips the scale.

10 Likes

Oh, and just like that, it appears they fixed the audio sync issues!

Edit- It’s amazing how much synced audio helps!

5 Likes

You mean if I start watching from the top it will be synched?

2 Likes

It’s showing up as synced on my computer now.

3 Likes

Still out of synch for me. Oh well.

3 Likes