506. Eegah (1962)

I have trouble with this one. The host segments are solid. As shown in clips above. But the movie plods along. And literally 1/3 of it is Roxy trying to avoid sexual assault with flimsy diversions while her dad does nothing.

The shaving scene doesn’t bother me. I never got that. I don’t find shaving to be at all intimate or gross. Her dad has a broken arm and they’re stuck with nothing to take their minds off the peril of the situation. So she takes care of him. It pads out the film. :man_shrugging:

But watching her try to fend off Eegah’s clumsy advances with awkward diversions… Not even the riffs can make that palatable. It’s similar to how the one episode I just can’t watch is Kitten With A Whip.

1 Like

I always forget why I avoid this episode until the shaving scene happens. The amount of time spent on it and the close-ups… BLEAH!!

People may be reacting (consciously or otherwise) to the fact that Arch Hall Sr. and Marilyn Manning were…some kind of an item…too.

1 Like

I keep managing to forget about that. Going to need a couple of days to repress it again.

1 Like

The other thing is: unless “Dad” was left-handed, couldn’t he have shaved his own damn face without too much difficulty?

That might be a wall-mounted stereo system. NuTone made those in the 1960s. Or this may be a competing brand. They work on the same principle as a Murphy bed. When you’re not actually using them, they fold back into the wall.

5 Likes

AH! I think you have solved this for me. Thank you! Reddit pulled up this image:

5 Likes

My living room ovens! If only they drown out the sound of “Vickie”

3 Likes

@optiMSTie Is Eegah’s (1962) place in the upper echelon of MST3K as high as the outward perception of it seems to be? Joel’s said it’s one of the most popular shows. Where are you on Eegah?

1 Like

From my perspective, Eegah (1962) as Mystery Science Theater draws nearer the efficiency and sophistication of Cave Dwellers (1984) or Pod People (1983) and heaves a heavier Deep Hurting beneath it akin to Manos (1966) only the experiment moves and there is a jubilance that counterbalances the more unsavory ingredients. Richard Kiel gives it heft and the 60s of this attracts some very good 90s riffing. Dream On, Tales From The Crypt, Mountain Dew, Aerosmith. The Host Segments are super strong and stick out. Altogether 506 is top shelf and highly replayable. My read.

1 Like

Eegah the movie is disgusting, repulsive, off-putting, and unpleasant.

Eegah the episode? God-tier.

I think the episode succeeds because it slams down HARD against the movie: the dad being an absolute goober and a capitulator, Eegah being a big ol’ creep, and Tom and Roxy being the King and Queen of the Unappealing Irritant Dance.

Like… compare with The Magic Voyage of Sinbad, the previous episode. It’s a top-ten installment in my book, but it doesn’t feel like they hated that movie. The fun came from the riffs trying to out-outlandish an outlandish movie (and that’s a LOT of outlandishness).

With Eegah, it’s different. That movie is a towering pile of yeesh, blech, and oof all across the board. Here, you NEED the guys to rail against all the unlikable elements of the movies. The dumbass songs? The SOL crew hangs tight in adding their own lyrics, pointing out the stupidity of the lyrics that ARE these, distracting you from the song by landing other observational blows, or just chiming in with a half-hearted and resigned “Tequila.”

The characters/actors? Absolutely taken to task for their questionable deliveries and screen presence, with gold comments about Tom being a “Cabbage Patch Elvis” and “a cyst with teeth and hair,” Roxy getting roasted for whiny lines (Crow’s “It’s a big difference” as Roxy as me howling), the dad taking a drubbing for being “a victim of his own fashion sense” and being a generally awful guy in the cave, and Eegah’s… well, Eegahness (love Joel’s “I won’t do THAT again!” as Tom runs under Eegah’s legs).

Nothing escapes unsavaged: not the cinematography, not the periphery characters, not the laughable action, not the stock footage, not the oven in the living room, not the Rick Astley-looking jerk who tries to steal Roxy from Tom, not even the “WTF WAS THAT” post-production decision to include the offscreen warning “WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES!”

(Can I just say how I love that “WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES” became a rallying cry and a running gag to the point that an entire MST3K live tour was named after that line?)

The point is, there’s a catharsis factor at work with the guys clobbering this movie, and it feels like the intersection of the MST3K cleverness and the writing team’s willingness to lash out at this movie is a hilarious one.

I’ve seen this episode a bunch of times, and I still get a kick out of the gang kicking this movie. Eegah the movie is not a pleasant or relaxing experience by any means of the imagination, but Eegah the episode is something that’s perfect for kicking back.

Brilliant and cathartic. We honk because we love Eegah as an episode, certainly not as a movie.

11 Likes

Two of the host segments here - the “Insidious Nature of Hell” sketch and the “Single-Parent Sitcom Family” sketch - are among the series’s best. For me, these sketches drove home the notion that you didn’t need super-crazy-wild energy, impossibly zany antics, or elaborate setups for great MST3K comedy. Sometimes, you just had to have the characters… talk. A simple bit of conversation with clever observational remarks could be enough.

But we still needed that wackiness represented, and we got it with the Arch Hall, Jr. cosmetic surgery sketch.

One of the series’s best, hands down. That comes from both a place of nostalgia (I played the HELL out of my Rhino VHS tape) and a place of admiration for comedy that never loses its efficacy.

7 Likes

Those are essentially my feelings. The MST3K experiment soars to the sun and the wings fail to melt. The movie? It earns the lump sum of what it gets and it is invigorating and exhilarating to see.

3 Likes

And what you said in that last bit, THAT’S needed.

Jeez Louise, the movie is… grody to the max, to put it charitably. And you need that gleeful, practically jubilant skewering of Eegah to make this whole experience work. Otherwise, there’s the risk of the movie being an overwhelming experience.

Which makes this episode all the impressive, when you think about it, that the gang overwhelms the movie rather than have the movie overwhelm them.

Heck, the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide likens this cinematic experience to Manos: The Musical, and they’re not wrong to do so.

Hah! I love that we got a Cryptkeeper moment, and I’m sorry we didn’t get more when we saw the puppet-y ancestor corpses in the cave.

5 Likes

The Eegah family corpse riffs are near the summit of my most beloved humor on MST.

4 Likes

Side note: the dune buggy sequence is an absolute GEM.

“Stop saying ‘WEEEE!’ Nobody says ‘WEEEE!’”

:musical_note: Welcome to the junglllllllllllllllllle… :musical_note:

“Hey, did I tell you my tires are filled with water?”

“My tires are filled with water.”

In the end, Arch, no, we do not resent your dune buggy.

5 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :smiley:

Roxy: “Uh… how do you do?”
Crow as Eegah family corpse: “I’m really, really dead.”

Dad: “Shake hands with him, Roxy!”
Roxy: “Oh, Dad!”
Joel as Dad: “I’m kidding, of course!”

4 Likes

The rearranging his family line is god-tier as you say.

2 Likes

Oh, indeed. :smiley:

Dad: “Those are his relatives.”
Servo, in absolutely and deliciously petty fashion: “Well, they’re really lame!”

4 Likes

And Crows retorts “I’m really really dead.”

3 Likes

[snaps fingers in a “Eureka!” moment]

“I GOT IT, HE LOOKS LIKE THE BAT FROM FERNGULLY!”

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

6 Likes