506. Eegah (1962)

Lots of great moments from this episode. But for some reasons besides the reaction to the “Watch out for snakes!” line for me is the “IT’S A SWITCHAROO!” riff. Maybe just because of Joel’s arm motions when he does it.

And just as a random aside, here’s Richard Keil on Match Game.

3 Likes

This isn’t a complaint by any means, but it’s something that always kind of amused me: the riffers don’t use their Richard Kiel impressions that were so absurdly funny in The Human Duplicators.

I know, that’s all on how Eegah doesn’t have any lines that aren’t guttural grunts, but still, the riffers’ Kiel voices (ESPECIALLY Joel’s) were such a hoot that you wished they came into play at least once here.

4 Likes

The remainder of Eegah (1962) and the Halls seemingly distracted them.

3 Likes

They brought up in the episode guide that there’s just something very….off about the relationship between father and daughter. The vibe they give is all wrong. It’s a definite ick in an episode fraught with icky content.

That said, the riffs are very strong and it provided running gag quotes that lasted for years.

5 Likes

Now his tires are filled with more than water.

2 Likes

I think it’s interesting that they can’t shut up about “Grandma Daughter” in Space Mutiny but in this movie Roxie doesn’t resemble a teen at all and I don’t think that ever gets mentioned.

There’s probably a term for a performer just automatically looking older now than in their original “present” due to crappy hairstyles and fashions that might’ve already been going out when the story was filmed. But I don’t know what it is.

2 Likes

I recall the Colossal Episode Guide mentioned they were so creeped out by the non-filial manner Roxie had towards her father that it became the topic of speculation in the writer’s room. Possibly that overpowered potential reactions to her age.

3 Likes

Another rehash of the King Kong formula, though with a less extreme size difference between the belle and the bête. Our sex-starved brute is an immortal cave man portrayed by hulking goon standby Richard Kiel. The damsel is Roxy, whose actress was allegedly the producer’s secretary. Seeing as her other two film credits were with the same producer, this seems plausible. Then there is her ineffectual chump of a boyfriend portrayed by one Arch Hall Jr. The Brains as well as many viewers were repulsed by his oddly shaped face. For me, it’s the pompadour he sports which I find off-putting.

So how did such a useless lump get cast as the male lead? If you check out the IMDB entry, you’ll see Arch Hall Sr. listed as director, writer, producer, and the actor portraying Roxy’s father Mr. Miller. Not that this is immediately apparent to the casual viewer, as he used a couple of different pseudonyms in the credits. The script sticks close to the standard beats for this kind of story. But there are moments where it gets kind of gross, particularly concerning Eegah’s Torgo-like romancing techniques.

The most memorable host segment is where the Bots surgically alter Joel to look like Arch Hall Jr., with Gypsy as a condescending nurse adding the perfect touch. Along with the prologue where Joel’s putting a stop to freezing Crow to absolute zero causes him to fall apart and his slapdash repair job, these come across as something you’d expect from Mike’s time as host. Though we are in that overlap period.

1 Like

I think one component of the unease IS that she’s trying to capture the look, speech, and mannerisms of a teen. But the writing and the directing aren’t helping her. So it always looks “off.” In higher profile films with real budgets, it’s also usually people in their 20s playing teens. But there’s enough professional gloss applied so that we can mostly forget that while we watch. But this movie doesn’t have that on its side.

2 Likes

Hell, even an 80s or 90s family sitcom had more ability to make their 20 something stars look more genuinely teenage like. R just looks like what she is…a fully adult woman. :thinking:

2 Likes

lol. Just realized that both this and It Lives By Night end with the robots needing a therapeutic wash.

Also, I wonder if there’s a scene on the cutting room floor which established that Ferngully Bat Boy’s bandmate Rick Astley was a rival for Roxy’s affections. Because that fight scene a few minutes before the climactic shooting just comes out of nowhere otherwise. :dizzy_face: It’s an extra level of pointlessness, or padding.

4 Likes

I just watched Wild Guitar this evening. It stars Arch Hall Jr and has Arch Hall Sr in a major role, just like Eegah. And it’s directed by Ray Dennis Steckler, just like The Incredibly Strange Creatures. It’s a lot of fun, provided you don’t try for one second to take it seriously.

2 Likes

Wild Guitar was also the first movie credit for Oscar winning cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond after he left Hungary following its ill-fated revolution, for which he was a second unit photographer.

4 Likes