619. Red Zone Cuba (1966)

I found this disk at a Movie stop store. Wow, a classic(and I use that word sparingly). The movie jumps around so fast it’s hard to get bored. Coleman hogs all the best lines. AND, there’s Cherokee Jack!

4 Likes

Got the director on my mind.

jackson browne the grammys GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

3 Likes

Frogs or trout? I just can’t decide!

6 Likes

Sometimes I wonder, what if the two guys had told the officer where Griffin was? I assume the officer could have drawn his weapon faster, downed Griffin, and the two guys would have split the $5000 reward, and then it would all be over!

After seeing all of Francis’ films, I can’t help but feel he was a very, very, bitter man.

The character in this film is probably the only one in the MST’ed films that has no redeeming qualities to him. It’s like Coleman was assuming people would be interested in this anti-hero’s adventures (we’re spared via MST from what he does to the restaurant owner’s daughter).

Even the opening scene is rather stupid. Guy interviews a man who only has about a few seconds of bearing on the overall story (plus, is this whole film the result of that one guys’ story on “the desperadoes?”).

Of the trilogy, this film is “the least boring,” but once again shows Coleman has an issue with women, and seems to have a real obsession with “frontier justice” administered from an aerial vehicle.

4 Likes

it was nice see Mike and the bots sing to cheer themselves up after barely maintaining their sanity. Basically what we needed after enduring this pretty crappy film.
Also, Gypsy’s singing in this song doesn’t sound as cringy and too high-pitched as she was in the waffle song, gypsy rose me, master ninja theme song, and even “Hired! The Musical”, and is actually doesn’t make me wince this time.

4 Likes

it was nice see Mike and the bots sing to cheer themselves up after barely maintaining their sanity. Basically what we needed after enduring this pretty crappy film.
Also, Gypsy’s singing in this song doesn’t sound as cringy and too high-pitched as she was in the waffle song, gypsy rose me, master ninja theme song, and even “Hired! The Musical”, and is actually doesn’t make me wince this time.

1 Like

I do have to admit, though: I have always really liked the logo of the movie’s title at the beginning.

4 Likes

I thought of this episode last night. I was watching a little half hour thing that was made for network TV to advertise Beyond the Poseidon Adventure. Everytime director Irwin Allen all I could think of was:

“Gahd. Watuh. Sick man.”

(Incidentally on IMDB it was mentioned how the makers of the Beyond documentary had to get creative when editing the interviews because the actors kept on complaining about how much they hated working on the movie!)

6 Likes

The sketches in this episode are nearly as bleak and unpleasant as the movie itself. Such a slog everything is. Last night, I was watching in bed so at least 1/5th or 1/6th of the dialogue just got lost. I didn’t rewind to try and hear it better because then the agony would’ve been prolonged. Yecchhh.

6 Likes

Mike’s read of the riff “Oh man, don’t TEMPT me!” when the signage for the fried frog legs turn up provides a bright spot in this very murky and grim experiment that never fails to make me smile.

7 Likes

You know what’s crazy? Coleman Francis has thirty-nine acting credits on the IMDB. Admittedly, most of them are walk-ons (like the interociter delivery man in This Island Earth), but he was hired thirty-eight times as an actor and yet he still delivered this performance. In a film he directed himself.

And he was in a Russ Meyer film! In that case he apparently played the part of ‘rotund drunk,’ so I’m guessing it was typecasting.

8 Likes

One of my favorite riffs in this one is towards the end where they’re approaching a train and Mike goes: “Excuse me is this the NIIIIIGHT TRAIN TO MUNDO FIIIIINE!!!” with that Carradine voice too.

Gets me every time. :laughing:

8 Likes

My parents absolutely refuse to watch this episode due to this piece of crap of a movie being too unwatchable with nothing good about it! much like the Wild World of Batwoman. No wonder Mike nearly lost his mind for a bit.

7 Likes

I’m rewatching it again tonight, after not having seen it since the early 2000s. The closed captions are making all the difference. I swear I didn’t understand any dialogue from the film itself the first time.

7 Likes

And why yes, I did stand up and try the posture knee test. Hilariously pointless :laughing:

8 Likes

“And Oh, that posture!”

I love Frank dragging Forrester out of the bed to do his posture exercises.

Another important moment - “I’m Cherokee Jack!”

Nothing is funnier to me than the guy telling the story and Coleman gets up and starts choking him.

Oh, and George Takei!

Oh My George Takai GIF

6 Likes

…There’s dialogue?

5 Likes

Only technically.

8 Likes

Muttering, if you want to get technical about it.

7 Likes

So much this! The only point I disagree on is that, for me, this is my favorite Coleman Francis movie. It’s just such an abomination as a film that I can’t look away. I actually enjoy subjecting myself to it. The riffs are incredible, and the film is dark, dank, and lacking any sense of basic decency toward the viewer. It was like Coleman said to himself while dreaming this up that, “I want everybody who sees this to taste my bitter hate till the credits roll or I haven’t done what I set out to do.”

8 Likes