816. Prince of Space (1959)

That’d be too much Krankor! Lol

3 Likes

Pearl enjoys a challenge, even if she never admits it.

4 Likes

This might be in my Top 5 of Mike Nelson episodes.

Helps that Phantom of Krankor’s whole scheme is so slip-shod, with him claiming they need Dr Macken’s new rocket fuel, and yet they keep using up valuable resources going back and forth between Earth and Krankor.

Also gets rather ridiculous over how dumb the scientists are, barely comprehending anything they are told to do.

9 Likes

It’s Just A Show 119. [MST3K 816. Prince of Space]

1 Like

Absolutely worth it for Servo’s exasperated delivery of: “Oh, for crying - EACH! OF! YOU! WILL! ENTER! A! SPACE! CAPSULE!”

10 Likes

The movie featured in this episode recalls a story I once read about the original production of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta The Mikado. Apparently, they were making every effort to be sure that the costumes and props were as authentic as possible. But to the consternation of the wardrobe department, it was learned that a Japanese woman and her kimono is rather like a Scotsman and his kilt. And as we see in this movie, the tradition continues. It’s bad enough that we have the greatest number of ill-proportioned men in unflattering tights since Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. But it’s made worse by how the tights clearly define their genitals. I’m surprised this got cleared to be broadcast on American television Back in the Day.

The main plot involves the inhabitants of the planet Krankor invading Earth, with the titular caped crusader being the only one able to stop them. Most of the time he prances about yelling, “Your weapons are useless!” or some variant, which he accomplishes with a wand he uses to deflect back their energy blasts. Needless to say, the Challenge Rating on this one is quite low. There are also some snot-nosed punks who occasionally butt in on the action. Fortunately, their presence doesn’t quite reach the point where they become a major irritant.

The host segments are an odd lot which involve traveling through a wormhole, with all sorts of shenanigans resulting. In particular, the one where everyone is temporally out of sync is tricky to comprehend but rewarding when you do.

1 Like

Aw c’mon, I think Torgo’s got… four? *hums song* is that four? something like that anyway.

2 Likes

The Phantom Dictator of Krankor is definitely one of the best drop-in characters they’ve ever had.

5 Likes

I don’t know.

Do we admire the Kronkorians for their determination for persisting in using their weapons against a foe with whom they are clearly useless against?

Or are they dumb chickens who can’t tell when it’s raining?

The truth is probably somewhere in between. :thinking:

6 Likes

What happens if you break off a Krankor’s metal antenna? It seems like it would be pretty easy

3 Likes

Yeah. That’s what all the kids think at first.

And then the first “haw haw haw” comes as the cogent retort.

One eats a chicken.

The taunts continue.

One dresses as a chicken.

Symptoms recur.

There’s no escape.

2 Likes

He loses his Wi-Fi connection, and then he becomes Kranky.

7 Likes

There should be numerous Prince of Space drinking games.

Take a shot when:
-“Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah“
-“Your weapons have no effect on me.”
-Any time Krankor’s goons use their weapons on the Prince.

Other than that it indeed was a great episode from a great season.

5 Likes

I bet you all didn’t even know about how heavily this film was cross-promoted back in the day. Barbie? What does SHE know about marketing?!

Wrigley's Gum Ad, 1956

7 Likes

Nothing goes with Eraserhead chickens like Wrigley’s Spearmint gum!

4 Likes

I debated whether it belonged here or filed under Regrettable Food.

4 Likes

In what way is that a pie? Is there a crust involved? And what in the Sam Hill is Wrigley’s Spearmint doing advertising such a thing??

(I see I’m coming down on the side of Regrettable Food here lol)

1 Like

Re: the pie question? The dough is on the outside, but the molds don’t look like they could hold more than maybe two tablespoons of filling. Which is fine for Dim Sum. Not so great for your main course.

The rationale for having recipes to pitch gum is pretty straightforward, though. Freshen your breath after the meal with a minty chew. Sure, garlic hadn’t yet been invented, but there was still gin breath to worry about. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to take a drink whenever a scientist says “Prince of Space,” as if they are surprised to see him.

3 Likes

I had a vivid dream Friday night that I was watching a trailer for a big budget Hollywood remake of Prince of Space

Robert Downey Jr. was the Phantom Dictator of Krankor. Oddly, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles were playing his lackies. My latent WLIIA fandom coming into play there, no doubt. :thinking::sweat::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes