And Yet Another Terribad Reboot ... Velma

Is having gay characters even considered edgy anymore? It’s like they want to have the cachet of being ‘edgy’ without having to actually be, you know, edgy.

2 Likes

It is in kids’ movies- look at the furor over characters being LGBT in recent Disney movies.

1 Like

I was more referring to the general attitude of the whole production.

2 Likes

This makes me very sad. “Fanfic” is a good description of a lot of what the entertainment industry has been cranking out lately. And, as you said, not just fanfic, but bad fanfic.

3 Likes

It’s passed beyond “edgy” into “normal,” which is a good thing.

6 Likes

Well you see some streaming services start out weak, but as they learn what their viewers like they grow stronger and stronger until they become a really solid streaming service. HBO started out really strong, and has decided to go hard in the opposite direction.

8 Likes

Well, you see, when a streaming service and a library of content love each other very, very much…

9 Likes

Then, after a brief honeymoon, they begin to resent each other and destroy the best parts of each other, leaving everyone who loves them heartbroken?

:thinking:

Damn… that was dark, even for me… sorry.

7 Likes

Maybe - but it did answer the question.

4 Likes

I’m not gonna comment about the new series. Whatever Mindy is going for with this series, I doubt I’m in the target audience and nothing I have seen appeals to me, so I’ll leave it at that.

I’m just disappointed that we have had a good modern update with Mystery Incorporated. It had a solid series ending but one that clearly allowed for the potential to continue further.

I even enjoyed Scoob, and it’s unfortunate that it didn’t do well enough for the potential of doing more in that continuity.

2 Likes

Willow the series is better than Willow the movie and I have been a fan of the movie since I saw it on opening day.

2 Likes

You think so? I’m struggling to make myself care enough to watch the last two episodes. Everything is so formulaic.

3 Likes

I burst out laughing when I saw this - I got it!

4 Likes

I don’t mind Velma being “the Indian-American she always was”. (Though “Velma” as a name rates pretty high on the wonderbread scale.) And sure, har har, make Shaggy ancestrally from the land of ganja. But the rest of it? It’s like a “I hate Scooby-Doo! and have always hated Scooby-Doo! and I’m gonna kill the franchise if it’s the last thing I dooby-doo!”

Which is either odd or telling, because I heard that Mindy Kaling was really pushing to make this series. (I thought it was even going to be live-action starring her at first, which would have been at least a little better than this.)

My particular dislikes: No Scooby-Doo (though now I wouldn’t want that character in this series, either). “Depravity/gore”: amputations and kneecapping as a joke? Not my kind of comedy. And ultimately, just the use of these characters in general. It only detracts from what has come before. It would work equally awfully with Team Buffy, Team Harry Potter, or almost any other team. (Team Sense and Sensibility? Sure, why not.)

P.S. I liked “Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!”, fwiw.

4 Likes

Please do not give them ideas.

4 Likes

Oh - I’m sure they’ve already got “ideas”. The process for the past while has been very predictable…

1. Obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled writer/producer comes up with an awful series (highly oriented to themselves and their personal opinions/experiences).
  2. Obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled person shops their vanity project around to a bunch of soulless production houses.
  3. Soulless production houses tell Obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled person that there’s no market for their lousy project.
  4. Obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled person looks for a beloved, pre-existing intellectual property and gives their lousy idea a 5% coat of Intellectual Property paint.
  5. Obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled person returns to Soulless production house with their lousy project and now calls it a “reinterpretation for modern audiences” of the intellectual property.
  6. Soulless production house says, “We love it!” and off they move forward with the awful project from the obnoxious, self-obsessed, entitled person where they puke their awfulness into a beloved IP purely as a vehicle to get their lousy project about themselves into production.

So … Harry Potter, Buffy, Back to the Future, Fraggle Rock, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Speed Buggy, or any other intellectual property that these vampires can get away with exploiting? You better get ready for the “edgy reinterpretation” of it, because its coming. It’s only a matter of time.

And it would be great if Scooby Doo showed up in the last episode after Velma has crashed and burned and told her (kindly)…

“Velma … did you consider the possibility that people don’t like you not because you’re tragically misunderstood … but because you’re an abrasive, unlikable, arrogant prat with the emotional intelligence of a toaster? Scooby-Scooby Dooooo!”

And yeah - “Stay Cool, Scooby-Doo” was underrated.

4 Likes

They’ll have to pry The Groovy Ghoulies out of my cold, dead hands !

7 Likes

By the way, I have no interest in watching this, but if she doesn’t lose her glasses at least once per episode, what’s the point?

5 Likes

Jinkies!

5 Likes

The scuttlebutt is that she shopped this project around initially as purely a vanity show about herself and her own life (which is pretty much the only thing she ever does) rather than it being any sort of Scooby-Doo thing. But apparently no one would touch it and so she found an IP to stuff her show into and here we are.

4 Likes