And Yet Another Terribad Reboot ... Velma

I think the rampant nepotism; learned from the mogul executives of the early to mid-20th century, is out of control. So much so, that it has now crept its way into the very heart of the writing, directing, casting, and producing of just about everything.

To be sure, there are some new things that pop out every now and again, but if they are successful…then the sequels, or prequels, or “alternate timeline” trash show up again and again.

And, there are some successful franchises (sic.), but the lack of original ideas is enough to make me want to chew my foot off.

I am just glad that music is still relatively easy to produce and distribute nowadays, so I can listen to guitar from Mali, then some Beatles, then Taiko drumming, then bagpipes, then; well, you get the idea.

3 Likes

Before I knew this thread existed, BuzzFeed (I think it was them anyway) had a story this morning just tearing into Mindy Kaling for Velma and other stuff she’s done outside The Office. Namely she relies on Indian stereotypes and the like. Not kind to her whatsoever.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was the original incarnations of GI Joe and Captain Planet that did that. Are you saying that Velma does that sort of thing as well? From what I have heard that is not the case, but I could be wrong, as I have not seen it.

3 Likes

And I think Tutter’s identical cousin can explain on why the show’s bad a lot better than I can.

2 Likes

And to make things even better, this version of Velma’s voice by the same person behind Disgust from Inside Out.

2 Likes

I have no comment on the quality of this show as I would never watch it. I barely have time to watch things I like. However, it sure seems like one of the things being called an ‘agenda’ is the fact that the characters are different ethnicities and I take issue with that.

12 Likes

I haven’t watched it either, but I agree. It sounds like some people here have a problem with it because Velma has darker skin than she did in the classic series, which is not, as far as I can tell, the actual issue with the show being bad.

4 Likes

No. That’s incorrect. No one cares about whether Velma has dark skin or not. What they care about is the fact that racist and sexist nonsense is being ‘spoken’ by Scooby Doo characters. Stuff like “all white people are rich and evil” and “all lesbians solve crimes” and junk like that. That and the show is so humorless, unpleasant, and steeped in try-hard self awareness and so called “reinterpretation for adult modern audiences” tropes, and gross unnecessary gore and sex and swearing, et al.

These are the personal agendas, preferences, and messages of the writers and actors which have no business anywhere … let alone being sock-puppeted by Scooby Doo characters.

If Velma had dark skin, but otherwise stayed true to the character and avoided all this other garbage then it could be an OK show. No one could care less about the skin color. To say seems to be trying to blame criticism on some fake race-boogeyman which doesn’t really exist.

Much like the ghosts of a Scooby Doo plot … these fake accusations of racism being the root of criticism is total bunkum.

3 Likes

Not all white people are rich, that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Don’t I know it? Sigh.

1 Like

Richie Rich was but Casper wasn’t (no pockets so no money)

1 Like

Well, it’s a subjective voting system, so any antipathy about this series [defecating] all over a beloved, most likely childhood franchise will likely be reflected in the ratings.

(“Where’s a dog?”) :wink:
Mostly, though my take on the characters is maybe a little more heroic than most. And the “message”? Mostly just that “good” plus good teamwork will triumph over the evildoers.

The “message” of the “terribad” HBO series? Maybe just a warning that hostile takeovers can happen to even the most enduring franchises?

2 Likes

I don’t know about TV, but I have definitely enjoyed some Riot Grrrl albums whose messages were all lesbians solve crimes.

3 Likes

MOD HAT: We’re getting close to the edge of those be kind and no politics rules. Let’s dial the discussion back a few notches, please.

I’ll let this go because I don’t want to put the mods in the position of having to close a thread because of someone involved with the show, but I will say that “no one” is hyperbole. And there’s nothing fake about racism. Sorry about your cartoon dog show.

3 Likes

You read my mind. Well, most of it.

Which was not in the original run, but in “The New Scooby Doo Movies”, where I think they first brought in the Globetrotters and Don Knotts.

I, too, learned important lessons from television shows, like “quicksand may swallow you whole at any moment”.

Hilarious bit in “Mystery Inc” where the culprit reveals his motivation behind his preposterous scheeme and someone says, “Why didn’t you just take them to court?”
“Do you have any idea how expensive lawyers are?”

The most outrageous aspect of the first season of “American Horror Story” is this family buys a beautiful, huge Victorian within driving distance of downtown L.A., and then laments they can’t sell it because it’s haunted.

My dudes, that just added another $250K to the home value.

Yeah, I think was more a contemporary stylistic choice. In the late '60s/early '70s, everything was drab nihilism, because, you know, like, reality, man.

As I said upthread, it really is a modern incarnation of Radcliffian gothic horror, which Lovecraft rants about in his “Supernatural Horror in Literature” essay. The whole “it’s a ghost!” or “haha, no such thing as ghosts, you dope!” is cyclical.

We all say that, but you have to look to #12 at the box office (“Elvis”) to find a non-sequel/non-franchise movie. And #14 (“Nope”) to find something original.

See above.

There may be something to that, though not strictly nepotism. The people dominant in media and government go to the same schools, read the same books, have the same philosophy—George Carlin pointed this out in the '90s. “It’s a big club, and you ain’t in it.”

Machiavelli pointed this out, too. The ruling class (which is what they are) becomes increasingly insular which leads to…well, let’s just say “Very Bad Things”.

The '80s was the rise of “pro-social” programming. The cartoons of the '60s and '70s were “bad” because they didn’t carry “pro-social” messages. So in the '80s, they all had explicit messaging. (Hilariously spoofed in the '90s by the Animaniacs.)

Of course. It’s meant to seem that way. And there’s doubtless some truth to it.

But there’s also some truth in that different ethnicities (etc) are being used as a shield for shoddy product. Hollywood has always jumped on whatever bandwagon they could, in as cynical a way as anyone could imagine.

For example, Jason Momoa didn’t seem to generate much pushback despite being not at all the classic Aquaman. Because Momoa is cool. Somebody, somewhere, probably objected to Eartha Kitt being Catwoman, but not enough to cost her the job or her place as an iconic Catwoman.

Velma was played by Hayley Kiyoko in two live-action movies ten years ago. Nobody cared.

3 Likes

It’s no more a shield than when white people are involved in mediocre things. But that’s never called too political to talk about. I’m fine with Mindy Kaling being rich and popular enough to star in something that stinks. Sam Richardson, too, he plays Shaggy.

That’s equality to me. People of Color being able to make good and bad things without it being called political or a shield or a boogeyman.

5 Likes

Like, “being used as a shield for shoddy product” just reads so condescending. Like they have no agency or were tricked. When Seth Rogen makes a bomb, nobody says that kind of thing.

5 Likes

IIRC, Carlin was into C. Wright Mills, who wrote The Power Elite, one of the best and earliest on the subject. Veblen and Michels both had some good contributions; "Conspicuous Consumption, “Iron Law of Oligarchy”.

I would argue that oligarchical movies are past (Large studios/ Films); we’re well into kleptocratic Depeche Mode goodness (Sequelization, Reductive content, The grabbing hands grab all they can).

I suppose this is just another way to honor the source material; how many versions are there of Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”? I’m glad there have been so many renditions, and when seen in that light, I can’t begrudge Mindy and her desire to pay her own homage to Scooby and the Gang.

If I had the money, I might reboot an old beloved cartoon or show with my own personal twist on things.

2 Likes