And Yet Another Terribad Reboot ... Velma

As Theodore Sturgeon said, “90% of everything is crud.” (He didn’t say ‘crap’ as is usually substituted).

The problem isn’t reboots, the problem is when reboots are just crass cash grabs. This is clearly one of those times.

3 Likes

That’s why reboots need to be usually made by the people who originally made it or people who legitimately cared about the original, and want to put out new episodes of it modern day or update it, so that it isn’t just made for money, and is made for the sheer fun and enjoyment of it.

3 Likes

In my mind the only excuse for a reboot is when the original was a good idea whose potential was not realized in the execution. Which is why I’m not averse to reboots of, say, Red Sonja or Barbarella or Modesty Blaise. Or the Netflix She-Ra series, which I loved.

I find it much easier to enjoy continuations that leave the original canon intact, like Star Trek or the 21st century Doctor Who or Wednesday.

5 Likes

Agree 100% on both of these. They really need to be rebooted and done justice. Given that neither movie really has much of a following, while their underlying properties do, make them great candidates for reboots. The fact that neither movie has much of a following is also the reason neither is likely to be rebooted in the current environment.

4 Likes

I’d love to see a reboot of Blake’s 7 with an actual budget. Farscape was more of a tribute than a reboot, but it definitely was heavily influenced by Blake. I’d like to see a real Blake remake.

But I think we’re getting off-topic again.

3 Likes

There is a Red Sonja reboot in development, though I’m not confident we’ll ever see it or that it will be an improvement on the first one. A while ago I got into my head that Jessica Biel was the perfect Red Sonja, and now I’ll be disappointed with anyone else.

1 Like

One of the problems for me is how some of these bad shows are just really dumb excuses for the writers to conduct exercises in shipping. That’s one of the hallmarks of this era of handing good IPs over to the modern crop of hack writers and Blow-runners. They seem to spend a significant amount of their time and attention on doing nothing but setting up idiotic shipping misadventures, and it’s stupidity in-extremis. It’s like these people have brains stuck at eleven years old.

2 Likes

I thought he said…an even coarser word.

There does seem to be a whole lotta that. Like, fan-fiction writers taking over. (Which, in itself, doesn’t have to be bad.)

But the whole “good IP” thing is questionable, really. Show me your “good IP” and I’ll show a hack writer…hacking it. The more remarkable thing, I think, is when “bad IP” is salvaged into something NOT hacky. (See Shakespeare, William for the most obvious example.)

3 Likes

Not to resurrect this thread, but at some point, you gotta think they’re just trolling.

3 Likes

Or just that deluded.

3 Likes

Although I had no real interest in this reboot, after reading through this thread a couple of weeks back I watched the first two episodes. I can’t say I liked them. I thought the writing was weak, the humor Vulgate at best, and the concept lacking in originality. Even then, however, it would have just gone into the “meh” pile of TV.

However, what zeroed it out (for me) was a complete absence of affection for Scooby-Doo anywhere in the production. I’m not suggesting the show has to worship/obey some mythical Scooby canon, but I certainly struggled with a show where seemingly the only connection to the IP was the producers were drinking one night and one of them suddenly blurted out: “Scooby-Doo fans are such a*$holes. We should totally f*#$ over those characters. That’d show 'em!”

3 Likes

I could actually see something like this working (though I wonder about the appropriateness at any point) if they had adhered to the canonical Velma* who was mostly very serious and shy and introverted except around the gang.

Well, kinda weird to trash the IP you’re…IPing, as it were. “Let’s get all the Scooby-Doo fans to watch our new show where we demonstrate how much we hate them.”

Bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see how it works out for them.

4 Likes

I think the ratings show how well that’s worked. They failed to dodge the wrench. I don’t think we need to wait to see how well they dodge the ball.

4 Likes

Rumor has it hate-watching has skyrocketed the show to the top of the ratings and a season 2 is in the works.

lol

2 Likes

You know, I’ve always been confused and found it funny how we as humans beings can determine whether or not we enjoy something, and can choose to avoid things that we do not enjoy, and yet we still choose to hate watch shows, seemingly just to be mad and hate the thing that we don’t want to watch, by watching it.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine not having enough to hate right in front of me, should I crave said emotion.

3 Likes

I have enough trouble finding the time to love-watch shows nowadays, much less hate-watch.

8 Likes

Seems more likely that there are people who actually like the show who are watching it, and the rumor was started by people who hate the show (whether they have watched it or not), and just can’t understand how someone else would like it. In other words, haters gotta hate.

The show doesn’t interest me, I won’t watch it. Interpreting the popularity of a show into a concept that a large amount of people will actually “hate watch” it seems rather ridiculous to me.

2 Likes

I would normally agree with you, but it’s got a 1.4 / 10 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. For contrast, Young Sheldon, an objectively terrible show, has a 7.6 / 10 rating.

I think it really might be hate watching in this specific instance.

2 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rebooted Fawlty Towers Moved the Fawlty Towers discussion to a new thread. Let’s keep this one on topic.