And Yet Another Terribad Reboot ... Velma

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: General All-Purpose Doctor Who Thread

I am. But don’t tell anyone. I want to be either loved or hated for myself. Just like Mrs. March wanted.

(I’m taking a pass on getting that newer, sexier young body though. Hardly seems worth it when we all know the planet’s toast anyway.)

2 Likes

I hadn’t realized there was such confusion about the term (hopefully not on my part). The person who “hate watches” definitely gets some enjoyment or entertainment out of it. Some might even say it’s addictive.

The idea is that you watch something to build a sense of outrage over some aspect(s), then develop a pleasing sense of righteousness in finding common outrage with others.

Oh (of course) there’s a Wikipedia entry about it: “… the pleasure anti-fans derive from [hate watching a show] is rooted in its inferiority.“ There are links to the concept of “anti-fans”, various examples and degrees of toxicity of “hate watching”, and even “hope watching” (that something bad will improve).

1 Like

I read the Wikipedia article:

I learned from it that I am a proud Hate-watcher. More power to those people who are Hate-watching Velma, because it means they actually enjoy watching it, so it likely deserves another season.

1 Like

Closely related: sitting through something because you’re just that enamored of a particular actor, or era, or genre. Or heck even a soundrtrack or toy being plugged for 75 minutes.

I think we had a whole thread about that: I’d Watch So-And-So In ANYTHING, or similar.

I haven’t felt that kind of unconditional devotion to anything in decades. Time is too short and my attention span is almost nil. I envy people who still do feel that. So maybe I’m secretly jealous of committed hate-watchers, too. :wink:

2 Likes

MOD HAT: Peeled off the recent Doctor Who discussion to its own thread. You’ll find it here:

1 Like

You know what this show also did dirty when it comes to cameos? The Jetsons. I mean… what have they done?!

3 Likes