Anime - We-all-aboos

I have an anime openings playlist AND a closings playlist on youtube.

BTW, if anyone wants to recommend any, please do. Sometimes some disappear and I need to replace them (also I will include ones where I don’t even like the show, just the intro or ending).

2 Likes

I used to do that ages back, but got tired of having to rebuild them everytime a studio or rights holder would scrub a lot off the platform. So I just started saving things in my own archive (for personal usage).

1 Like

I had a Funimation account for the last few years but with the absolutely horrible buyout by Crunchyroll, I let my account lapse. It is not often a company pisses me off so much that I stop watching a genre altogether, so I’ll probably start checking out Amazon’s selection.

2 Likes

Amazon has Vinland Saga, I think. I LOVE Vinland Saga. I don’t know your tastes but it’s a violent action series but one rich in character. I’d compare it to Game of Thrones in that there’s a lot of political maneuvering as it goes on and the character who is most awful to the protagonist and is NEVER regretful is also the most fascinating and nuanced character. He’s hard to get a bead on but it somehow always feels consistent.

Also, it’s got Vikings.

1 Like

Speaking of anime, I also have a few favorite Ali Project songs I posted on the music thread.

1 Like

I came of age at the dawn of the subtitled anime VHS wave of the late 80’s/early 90’s, with stuff like BUBBLEGUM CRISIS, DANGAIOH, and the GUYVER OVAs were in wide release (and so tantalizingly displayed at blackbuster with the “not for kids” sticker) and while I am glad that it’s much more accepted now more than 30 years hence and I was much better anime now (er, mostly), I do have some affection for those days. . .

3 Likes

Yeah, I definitely have friends who are going back to the anime of the bubble economy back when there were all sorts of lavish OVAs before things got rougher.

4 Likes

That is RIDICULOUSLY cool.

2 Likes

Agreed. Would read this thesis.

3 Likes

Back in the day I was very into anime (starting back when it was still being called japanimation in the US). My entry point was Robotech, but I fully acknowledge that SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA are all better shows on their own in Japanese than mushed together in English as Robotech. (Southern Cross is still pretty bad in either language.)

I was a huge AnimEigo fan at their DVD peak, and have their full sets of SDF Macross, Urusei Yatsura, and Kimagure Orange Road (including movies and OVAs of the latter two). And speaking of Rumiko Takahashi with UY, I also have all the Ranma 1/2 on DVD (mostly Chinese bootleg season boxsets of the Viz DVDs that were sold on Amazon as “imports”).

I bought the Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs as they were being released, and just got the Shout Factory box with the original and Netflix translations + the original movies. I was working my way through the Evangelion Rebuild on Prime Video (I hope they get BluRay releases eventually) but haven’t gotten to 3.0 + 1.0 yet.

I loved Rurouni Kenshin so much that I not only watched fan subs (with the Japanese commercials still in) as fast as they came out, I also ordered the Japanese DVDs and a region free DVD player 20 some years ago. Alas my Japanese still isn’t good enough to follow without English subtitles.

I kind of fell of the anime wagon about 20 years ago, right around when I started getting into Criterion DVDs of Kurosawa films and other chanbara. I should try getting into some newer stuff again.

5 Likes

I’m a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan as well. I too have Urusei Yatsura and Ranma complete series (both the tankoban manga volumes and DVD/BluRay)

I’m very excited for the new UY series

I can’t believe this thread has gone this long and nobody has mentioned Lupin III!!

Perfect if you love cheesy action/ spy movies

2 Likes

Oh lord Southern Cross… I tried to watch the original version, never was able to get thru it. But that opening theme, so good.

Extra bit, I posted in the toys thread a bunch of pics, one showing an Invid Shock Trooper. Here is a closer shot:

Let’s see who’s inside…

Damn it Dana!

3 Likes

I don’t think these have been mentioned yet (but if so - this is me strongly agreeing with whoever said it first!):

All of them have just incredibly fluid fight scenes and great stories/characters. Bebop and Champloo’s sountracks are also most excellent - Bebop’s soundtrack is actually what got me really into jazz in my 20s. Trigun miiiight be my favorite anime though - I love Vash endlessly, how it escalates from flat out goofy to dark af, the way the world/universe is constructed, the wacky insurance gals always having to explain it wasn’t Vash’s fault, and really just everything about it. Y’know, it’s been too long, I should go watch Trigun, actually… :thinking: Thanks MSTie Anime Thread!

7 Likes

Ditto this. My son has been getting into the new stuff (don’t even know which ones). Seeing the super clean style of now makes me nostalgic for the gritty, muted palets of yesteryear. Been revisiting 80s stuff when I can. Everything was dystopic futures back then, and I love it!

2 Likes

All great suggestions!!

Also I’m not sure anyone has mentioned this either

outlaw star shot GIF by Funimation
*Outlaw Star

3 Likes

I didn’t know that! I liked that one

3 Likes

Worth noting, the creator of Trigun is actually doing another series I quite like but with a different tone. If Trigun is Jackie Chan in a Western on Dune, than his more recent series, Blood Blockade Battlefront, is Men in Black without secrets from the public and instead of policing aliens, it’s cenobites from Hellraiser trying to live in a Manhattan that got mushed up with Hell. Like Trigun there’s a lot of action humour but it’s much more cavalier and jokey about it’s high body count, as this version of New York has a ridiculously high one and our heroes generally get involved for the bigger stuff and, say, not the restaurants where the stools sometimes eat people.

Also a great end theme for season 1

3 Likes

I gotta check this out because it sounds amazing

1 Like

Oh ho, and it’s called Kekkai Sensen?

1 Like

Or Blood Blockade Battlefront, depending where you are watching it/reading it.

1 Like