Any Svengoolie fans out there?

Actually bought a crazy powerful HDTV antenna so I could pick it up from a neighboring state before I could get it in my local market.

It’s so weird that Sven isn’t on one of the streaming services or YouTube anywhere else online that I can find. I mean, what year is it anyway?

9 Likes

Hmm, I may try the antenna thing. Thanks for the idea.

BTW, how do you get “Backer” by your name?

4 Likes

There’s a whole thread about it here somewhere, because a lot of people were trying to sort it out.

Essentially you click on someone’s profile who already has it, and you should see a link that says “request”. If you click that and supply your Kickstarter backer # they add it to your profile. Voila!

5 Likes

Love Svengoolie! In the late 90s when I was in grad school living in Chicago, I loved vegging on Saturdays and taking a break to watch his show!! And so glad that now I finally have an OTA antenna and can watch it all the way over in Hawaii (on MeTV). Was super-jazzed to get to meet him when I went to Chicago for my birthday a couple years ago; he was doing a meet-and-greet/signing autographs at, gosh, I forget what it was called now, some kind of supernatural convention (that overall scene is a story for another day).

8 Likes

I bet he was jazzed to know he made it all the way to Hawaii. Not bad for a Midwestern horror host.

7 Likes

I don’t know if you’re on FB, but the Svengoolie Fan group there is one of the kindest and active set folks I’ve come across! Right up there with the MST3K group. :smiley:

6 Likes

I try to avoid FB generally, but that might be something actually worth coming out for. Thanks for the tip!

6 Likes

I started watching Svengoolie several years ago when MeTV got added to our cable. It’s good fun and he airs a nice mix of movies. It’s a pleasant way to chill out on a Saturday evening.

6 Likes

Before my parents got cable and I could watch MST3K we were lucky enough to be able to pick up Svengoolie on WGN since we lived on a hill in Southeastern WI.

6 Likes

I watch every Saturday (that MeTV doesn’t show local sports). Love Svengoolie!

6 Likes

It’s nice to know there’s no tiff between horror host teams :sunny: :blush:

She Wolf of London might be my favorite one, despite the fact there are no wolves, just a psychopath. Overly melodramatic women are a guilty pleasure in these old films, yes?

7 Likes

The Hammer version of “The Mummy” tonight. I like it very much.

6 Likes

Svengoolie has been in just about every time slot there is over the decades. I remember when Rich Koz wound up playing himself on The Koz Zone afternoon kids programming block after Fox bought WFLD from Field Communications in the mid-‘80s and the new management cancelled Son of Svengoolie.

6 Likes

I think it probably has to do with licensing the rights to carry whatever movie Sven does. Like it’s easier to air it on broadcast tv, but hosting it on streaming becomes a different legal deal, even with the goofy jokes and skits in between. (I miss being able to get MeTv so bad… I’d be watching the show right now actually if I could get the signal out here…)

7 Likes

@Lesley and @mattmcg22 — any chance of a cameo by Rich Koz? He’s been riffing on movies like those on MST3K for even longer than MST3K’s been around, and that’s saying something these days. He’s also had to deal with remote work and hosting duties during COVID-19, so it might not be hard to set something up, finances and time permitting. If rights to the “Svengoolie” character are an issue, Koz could always appear out of makeup or in another costume — we’d still know him by his voice alone!

7 Likes

Yes MeTV is the spot for Saturday night Svengoolie fun.

5 Likes

I thought the cameos were some of the funnest parts of the last Kickstarter.

5 Likes

Yup - another Svengoolie follower (although I’m a couple of months behind in my DVR viewing of his show (still working my way through King Kong Escapes currently.)

6 Likes

Interesting topic cause, just discovered Svengoolie last year on Me.tv here in the Southwest. Stumbled upon it late one night and was like…what the? Totally sucked in!

6 Likes

Discovered Svengoolie a couple years ago on MeTV and really enjoy his show. The cheesy songs are a highlight, and any friend of rubber chickens is a friend of mine! :chicken:

8 Likes