Anyone Else Ever See...

Anyone else ever see either of these gems? One is a cheesy fighter pilot movie from back in the day I recall being rather amusing, and the other is what I used to watch at 8AM on a Sunday, on PBS, in a hungover stupor, while wondering how Huell Howser managed to find enough energy to think literally everything was “AMAZING!”.:rofl:

Into_the_Sun_poster

download (3)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0371436/

1 Like

Undeniably the one Jack Palance property I so want them to riff. Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Neville Brand, Ralph Meeker, Cameron Mitchell, a young David Caruso, and Dean Cundey is the DP. A wealth of riff targets to spread around plus the movie itself which is ridiculous. And two-time MST alum Greydon Clark directed. It’s a fata compli for the program. My only guess is it might be too gorey for Joel’s taste. The Maximum Overdrive (1986) objection.

2 Likes

Typical Robert Altman. In the mold of MASH (1970) and in that vein of levity. Bud Cort, Sallly Kellerman, Michael Murphy, William Windom, Shelley Duvall, Rene Auberjonois, Margaret Hamilton (The Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz), Stacey Keach. It isn’t MASH, Nashville (1975), or The Player (1992), and yet I enjoyed it as long as manage your expectations. A pretty solid eccentric time piece from the early 70s and one of the more hidden gems in Altman’s filmography. Would be a great MST episode owing to its oddness. Reccommended.

2 Likes

A home run to me as a child. So much oddity in this it might be an early prospect for the next MST3K Halloween Special. It similar to The Mask (1961) is actually effective and unsettling saddled with a few aspects ripe for riffing today. I’d love to have it on the show. Would be an ideal fit.

2 Likes

I just watched Forbidden Zone with my daughter. She’s only 12 but she can handle stuff like that. When it was over, she just kept saying, “I loved it. I loved it.”

2 Likes

That’s getting added to the watch list!

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, any Jodorowsky fans in the thread?

51YKozFYuXL.AC_SY580

1 Like

That was the one PBS show that I’d watch especially as a life long resident of that state. People say Bowie or Robin Williams’ deaths are what made the world worse. I say losing Huell Howser is how it became crazy.

He did an episode on this which is in my city and about to light up tonight.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/visiting-huell-howser/episodes/holiday-star

2 Likes