Bad Movies that are Actually Good

Holy cheeseburgers I remember this one

1 Like

I like Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders. The anthology format does it for me, and the stories are both kind of neat, albeit extremely silly.

5 Likes

To this day, I remain a fan of the really cheesy giant creature movies. I’m not talking Gamera or Godzilla; I mean ones like Sharktopus or Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus or Megapython vs. Gatoroid. They don’t take themselves remotely seriously and it’s clear the filmmakers were just out to make a fun, cheesy flick, so it’s hard to judge them for being exactly what they are. Although I do have to wonder how the actors made some of them with a straight face. :joy:

4 Likes

It’s thought of as a classic. Particularly in older circles. It is believed to be directed by Howard Hawks. Behind the scenes. I place it at #228 on my Best Ever List.

It keeps good company.

#225 - The Wolf Man (1941)
#226 - Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
#227 - The Invisible Man (1933)
#228 - The Thing From Another World (1951)
#229 - The War of the Worlds (1953)
#230 - Planet of the Apes (1968)
#231 - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
#232 - Men in Black (1997)
#233 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1998)

2 Likes

More on the history.

2 Likes

Further background.

2 Likes

Interesting! I had only really ever heard it discussed in relation to the Carpenter film before finally sitting down to watch it. I liked it! I still need to sit down and read the short story.

You kinda made me want to watch the Blob films again with your ‘best-of’ list. I like a lot of the adaptions that came out in the 80s

2 Likes

I prefer the original Blob movie with Steve McQueen. Granted, the effects are better with the '80s remake, but I liked the story origin of the Blob much better in the McQueen version.

Plus, the Colonial Theater is in the original!

4 Likes

The cops vs Steve Mcqueen dynamic in the original is hilariously heart-warming, and I’m always surprised at how closely the 80s version followed the original’s plotline (especially since 88 Blob is absolutely horrifying, haha)

2 Likes

I would love it if the MST3K/Blobfest partnership resulted in The Blob making it into Season 14. I can barely see it as a bad movie at all (It’s my Halloween go-to!) but it can absolutely be riffed, and has that energy that made for some of the best MST3Ks.

4 Likes

I enjoyed Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things. It was cheesy in the best way, it was good on its own and as a RiffTrax ep.

4 Likes

I honestly think the show would benefit from riffing movies that have some interest in the general public.

The Blob would work because people might actually want to watch it. Not everyone wants to discover the next Manos.

4 Likes

It’s a bit goofy early on, but when the zombies arrive, it’s fantastic. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Rifftrax made it an episode.

3 Likes

For years Jack Benny used The Horn Blows at Midnight as a joke/punching bag on his show. Supposedly it was such a horrible bomb that it ended his film career. While it’s not a great movie, it’s far from the terrible mess I expected after hearing the star himself trash it for years on his radio and TV shows.

Joe Dante appears to agree.

And hey – it has both Margaret Dumont and Franklin Pangobrn, so it can’t be all bad.

2 Likes

Wait…there are people who think this is a BAD movie? Where? Lemme at 'em!!

This is perhaps my favorite “classic” sci-fi movie…even as a child I was fascinated by the rapid-fire dialogue because that’s how people in real life talk. And there are some legit jumpscares in there too.

I will fight!!

1 Like

That’s on my watch list…I see a T-rex on the poster, but heck, Jason Statham and a T-rex in the same movie? Sign. Me. Up.

1 Like

Well from what I read in all the supplemental material you fellas showed me, Isaac Asimov wasn’t a fan - hah

I like it, though, I’ve just never really heard it brought up with the same zest as, like, I dunno, The Fly (58) or Invasion of the Body Snatchers (56) but I could just be partying in the wrong circles.

Umm, but since we’re on the topic of 50s horror, I always saw Night of the Creeps as an amazing love letter to the genre. Maybe ahead of its time since the 80s mostly reinvented 50s horror

Trailer

Summary

https://youtu.be/_PmPuYg6nqM?feature=shared

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not really that bad. It was just a convenient punching bag, as you say, for Benny and his writers.
Also agreed on Margaret Dumont and Franklin Pangborn. I just saw “Romance on the High Seas” again, where Pangborn has a little role.

3 Likes

I mean… there’s a t-rex. And Jason Statham. Are they on screen at the same time?? Errrr…

2 Likes

My only issue with it is that the climax goes on far too long. It reminded me of Cutthroat Island. Other than that I enjoyed it.

2 Likes