Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

Yeah, infinite growth in a finite environment was never going to work out well. It’s gonna be a pretty rough couple of decades before the end of society, tbh.

6 Likes

Looks fine to me… :confused:

8 Likes

Wow, you’re giving it a couple of decades?

You are an optimist.

(The secret truth is that the world ended about 20 years ago… it just takes time for it to fall over.)

5 Likes

Eh, I am studying the effects of severe weather on vertical farms run on renewables. I’m definitely an optimist, but I’m also talking like… Fully end of life on the planet really, not just society. Though societal collapse is, whew, it’s coming. Probably in the next decade or so.

Also, I’m going to get in trouble for talking about this because it’s not happy-go-lucky stuff and off subject, but yeah… If you want a pretty harsh and totally terrifying reality check, lmk.

4 Likes

We need a Gripes thread for the truly existential stuff.

1 Like

Nah, that got shot down when suggested.

Clearly, that $100M budget was used well.

3 Likes

At least that one got released!

6 Likes

And DC Comics -tried- to take action against THIS one!

The production company behind The Wild World of Batwoman was sued by DC Comics for copyright infringement, but Jerry Warren ended up winning the case.

5 Likes

Dang if I know, probably close enough.

2 Likes

The true story is that WB saw the trailer for MST3K S13, and knew that they just couldn’t compete with all this awesomeness :+1:

5 Likes

If DC/WB are really hurting for a good Bat-property, they should do a live-action of Batman Beyond. This would be the first Bat-film I’d be genuinely excited for in a long while. They could probably even get Ridley Scott to do it a la Blade Runner, seems he’ll do just about anything these days.

4 Likes

I agree. The only one I really liked on the snyderverse was Wonder Woman. and that was a copy of Captain America. Superman they didn’t get right. Batfleck was boring. lex wasn’t lex…ugh.

3 Likes

that’s EXACTLY what folks want. Older Michael Keaton and terry mcguiness. imagine those visuals in live action?

2 Likes

Well, I will definitely never give Zack Snyder another second of my time.

3 Likes

Nothing in any of your comments has not been political at all. Mods, can we put a lid on this “woke agenda” stuff please and thanks?

5 Likes

MOD HAT: Before this discussion goes any further, here’s a reminder of the posting rules/guidelines, which you can review here:

2. PLEASE AVOID POLITICS.

Many members of the fan community — as well as MST3K cast, crew, and alumni — are engaged in political causes and discussions in their own lives. However, since MST3K does not endorse specific political positions, and is aware that our fans are distributed along the political spectrum, we’d like to keep these forums politics-free to prevent unnecessary bad feelings within the community. An errant comment here or there is unlikely to get you in trouble, but we ask that you refrain from consistently bringing up political issues in threads where they are not relevant.

Let’s discuss the topic at hand, and not discuss politics or each other. Thank you.

6 Likes

Seriously though…

I think we have WB/DC mishandling their characters and honking off fans who love the characters and actors from the TV shows, to thank for Disney seeming to be listening and keeping the actors fans love from the NetflixMCU shows?

Even though I’ve heard some complain that the DC TV shows can sometimes be a little too “TV” even a bit “Teen Soap Opera”, fans seem to genuinely love the characters and the actors who have really made them into their own… WB seems oddly obsessed with squandering that affection and loyalty?

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’d rather see Marvel not make any more the the NetflixMCU/Defenders stories for a few more years, than replace the actors now. Cox, Ritter, D’Onofrio, Colter, Bernthal, Jones , Henwick , Missick, even Tennant… (It sounds like Rosario Dawson is gone for good which is disappointing but understandable I suppose) I can’t imagine Darth Mickey finding anyone who can make those characters better anytime soon? It looks like Darth Mickey just may pull this off? I’m … cautiously optimistic?

And, as I said above, perhaps WB/DC constantly fumbling their opportunities is a big reason why we have some reason to be optimistic with some characters at least a few of us love from the NetflixMCU verse?

And, as long as there’s at least one version of a character, one TV show or movie version that anyone loves, at least that exists? It can (hopefully) be revisited time and time again, and enjoyed. Even the worst possible new version in movies or on TV can’t take that away.

Movie people tend to look down on ‘those TV people’ and that is why you will never see fan favorite (me included!) Grant Gustin playing the flash in a movie role, even though he is MORE thank qualified to handle it. Or Panabreaker playing Frost. or any of the others that have earned their stripes over time in the GOOD shows.

I’ve heard mixed stuff on that legends of tomorrow, but that seems like something I’d like…so not sure if I should check it out. and arrow looked way too dark for the character to be true arrow. I consider true arrow from the JLU animated series the real guy. Ray Palmer was perfectly cast though, and iirc they kind of wrote him out for some reason.

Just like they did Vibe. GREAT character and no idea why they suddenly did a complete 180 and wrote him off the show, when having him go off with his alternate universe girlfriend seemed more fitting an end.

1 Like

On Tuesday, Warners released a statement explaining its move.

“The decision to not release Batgirl reflects our leadership’s strategic shift as it relates to the DC universe and HBO Max,” said a Warner Bros. spokesperson in a statement. “Leslie Grace is an incredibly talented actor and this decision is not a reflection of her performance. We are incredibly grateful to the filmmakers of Batgirl and Scoob! Holiday Haunt and their respective casts and we hope to collaborate with everyone again in the near future.”

3 Likes