Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

I may be alone in that I loved season 3 of Westworld. It didn’t have much to do with Westworld, but I thought it was an awesome cyberpunk story. Very Gibsonesque.

2 Likes

Hopefully MST gets a crack at it some day. Sounds like a lousy movie with potential targets.

The only issue will be if the movie is one of those preachy, full of itself movies that are common today. Preachy movies aren’t fun to watch. They are pedantic in their scripting and most of the time key movie elements like characterization and plot are sacrificed in favor of the preachy parts which results in a poor experience. That sort of movie would be difficult to riff on not because it wouldn’t have good targets, but because it makes the MOVIE itself unpleasant to watch … and the best riffing movies are movies that are (yes) bad movies but they have a baseline watchability. Preachy movies aren’t movies people like to watch, which would make them harder to swallow as riffs.

1 Like

Yes, it’s not a bad season, either narratively or visually. But it is a side story to the central narrative. Those can be a gamble, especially for a show with a large viewer base and degree of cachet, and can risk losing audience.

That’s good to hear, I wasn’t planning on going back after the 3rd season. But maybe I’ll give season 4 a look see.

I also get tired of a show, the sameness, the soap opera quality of it all, I lost interest in Cobra Kai after really enjoying the first couple of seasons, and never could finish season 3 of Stranger Things. After a while I just want them to wrap it up, you made your point, you told your story, let’s finish this thing.

1 Like

Oh this is a big mood right here. So many great things have overstayed their welcome and diluted what was good in the first place.

3 Likes

Westworld couldn’t remain confined to the park itself or there would have been no stakes. The hosts had to go out into the wider world so that their action would matter to someone other than themselves. It may have been a side story but it laid necessary groundwork for the endgame. (I’m guessing 4 will be the last season, but I’m not sure about that.)

If you need to have a groundwork-building season, the trick is to make it awesome so your viewers don’t feel like watching it is work rather than fun.

I thought Evan Rachel Wood was a great Molly Millions stand-in.

3 Likes

That’s the balancing act. It also needs to be clear enough to the viewers that it’s worldbuilding, rather than a permanent shift in focus. Otherwise you get folks going “oh, they’re going this way, never mind then” and tuning out.

For me Fringe was perfection, 5 seasons 100 episodes (the 5th season ran only 13 episodes) - granted, the first season was not so hot, but there was enough of a hook that I came back for season 2, which thankfully was a big, big improvement. And yes, I miss these characters, I really miss Walter most of all. But it was time, better to end the story naturally than try and squeeze out more seasons and spoil what you had.

2 Likes

Doom Patrol is the only one I have watched. It sort of goes everywhere and nowhere all at once. I respect that it may have pre-dated The X-Men, and after I got enough the X-Men ages ago, Doom Patrol is a very odd but comforting change. (Sort of a Truly, Madly, Deeply to the X-Men Ghost ?)

I did watch the 1st episode of Harley Quinn after accidentally catching a promo. Nice sass, but I’m not much a fan of the farcical TV-MA animation (?) genre, nor the ultraviolence. I’ll probably check out one or two more.

Odd thought: Did Batwoman (The CW series) presage the mess of this merger? Briefly: A sighting of Batwoman in a crossover show back-door’ed the TV series with a so-so-written hero and a not less than amazingly developed and performed main villain (“Alice”). Star quits. Villain persists. There was even a “hero goes missing – is she dead?” story line for a while. Replacement star comes in but by then the series had, um, poor pooch.

3 Likes

As for Batgirl, I feel bad for the people who poured all that work into it, and were so close… only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

But, maybe it was another Catwoman, and we were all just spared a lot of pain.

I’ve liked certain DC films, the first Wonder Woman, and I think the standalone/different universe(?) “The Batman” was pretty incredible, though it was exhausting.

I enjoyed Gunn’s Suicide Squad…

but I loathed the Harley/BOP film (where they really screwed up Cassandra Cain), and WW84 and others.

So, I don’t know, guess I’ll never know what Batgirl would have brought. I always liked the character though, from Barbara Gordon to Cassandra Cain to Stephanie Brown (Lord did I love the Bryan Q Miller series for Steph). I bought a lot of the books, and bought Simone’s BOP series.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the show. I watch ten seasons of Hawaii Five-0 and could have watched more.

The current Magnum PI, however, I thought ended in a good place and didn’t need to be “saved” They weren’t telling good stories anyway.

NCIS is about to start its TWENTIETH (oy) season. (I stopped watching around season 12)

Most shows at conception have a five-season (and these are full seasons, not this 8 or 10-episode stuff they do now) arc.

Season 1 – introduce characters, world, conflicts, set up a basic arc. (hope you get renewed)

Season 2 – build on the character arcs, expand the overall arc (hope you get renewed)

Season 3 – Main arc starts to move to the forefront of storytelling. Character arcs pay off with new twists (hope you get renewed)

Season 4 – Introduce a twist (new character, new plot conflict, etc), main arc ends on cliffhanger (hope you get renewed)

Season 5 – Pay off main arc, pay off character plotlines, introduce hints of new arc (in case you get renewed)

Season 6 – Wash, Rinse, Repeat with new main arc. Introduce new characters

Good shows can get over that season 5 to season 6 hump. Shows that didn’t have strong characters or strong worldbuilding usually don’t

1 Like

It actually seemed to have a decent score before it got canned.

1 Like

5 Likes

They would have gotten away with cancelling the Scooby Doo movie if it wasn’t for you meddling kids!

5 Likes

As a 30 Rock fan, this tweet cracks me up.

7 Likes

I really think this is a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’ it gets released. You will probably see it after the new Flash movie gets released with Keaton’s Batman in it.

1 Like
2 Likes

This is BS

1 Like

Oh cool. I was going to have to Sophie’s-Choice either HBO or Discovery for budget reasons and now I just have to wait for them to become one thing. And South Park won’t be scattered between both services anymore.

2 Likes

One of them is a perk of my phone contract, one isn’t. I assume I’m about to have neither.

2 Likes