Curious

What is the rift between MST3K and RiffTrax?

1 Like

Don’t know if you know (:laughing:) about the Great Joel vs. Mike Feud back in the day but it’s the same as that.

1 Like

Rift? Kevin, Bill and Mary Jo have all appeared in nuMST3K. Mike doesn’t like to travel and doesn’t want to be a part of MST3K because he has his own business and also suffers from migraines.

It’s been over 30 years. It’s pretty marvelous that the cast is still as close as it is. I know I don’t still have friends from jobs I had 30 years ago.

12 Likes

I dont know the story between Joel and Mike.

It’s nothing. It was an online Kirk vs. Picard debate and had nothing to do with anything.

13 Likes

The Joel v Mike feud was one of the internet’s earliest and most tedious flame wars, fought between the type of “gatekeeper” fans who hate it when they see people enjoying things they disapprove of.
Joel and Mike weren’t personally involved, having worked together very well for years on the show.
All the former cast (including Mike) turned up for the MST3K reunion and did their bit, apart from J.Elvis Weinstein, who I think was undergoing medical treatment at the time, and Jim Mallon (almost certainly not invited).

7 Likes

I don’t think there’s any sort of rift between the two. Heck, RT still sells old MST3K episodes on their site.

I think it is more of “That was then, and I have other stuff going on now” for Mike/Kevin/Bill.

11 Likes

Yeah, the only feud was between the Joel and Mike fanbois. Rifftrax even did a live reunion show with Joel, Jonah, Trace, and Frank just before Season 11 premiered:

9 Likes

Honestly, considering how bad Mike’s migraines are, we’re lucky he even feels good enough to do Rifftrax.

17 Likes

What rift? No seriously what are you talking about?
Rifftrax has helped MST3K in the past with Kickstarter and people from MST3K have appeared on Rifftrax shows.
Mary Jo was actively in both for the most recent MST3K season.

4 Likes

Probably Gallagher was the real culprit.

8 Likes

There was even a Rifftrax event in the Gizmoplex that M, K, & B showed up for.

10 Likes

Surely it can’t be named RIFTrax for nothing. Surely the fighting between them must get real NASTY3K at times. Surely… um… everybody’s MADsareback at each other.

7 Likes

What’s the deal with MST3K and RiffTrax?

MST3K riffs movies like this, and RiffTrax riffs movies LIKE THIS.

5 Likes

They have WILDLY different chocolate/peanut butter ratios. MST3K has bitchin Klipsh speakers and those cool gold buckles for lookin’ SHAHP.

5 Likes

The rift is that Jonah and Joel were a part of the Rifftrax MST3K reunion. Rifftrax has donated prizes to MST3K kickstarters and MST3K has doanted prizes to Rifftrax kickstarters.

So there is no rift.

4 Likes

Except for that time that someone borrowed somebody else’s Danskin and stretched it out of shape and pitted it out. Tsk!

6 Likes

Or Carrottop.

3 Likes

Are you sure you didn’t just turn the volume up higher for Rifftrax?

4 Likes

My money’s on Pauly Shore.

3 Likes