Day Trips

Destinations made in a day and back home. A local zoo, a museum near you, a national park. Where do you go? If only for a couple of hours?

2 Likes

From the SF Bay area, a great day trip is Elkhorn Slough. Rent a kayak, paddle out and see some otters!

8 Likes

With a year long ticket, a visit to the Historic Dockyards to see the Victory and Mary Rose used to be a good day out for us.

6 Likes

I went on a Day Trip yesterday to a nearby flea market on the NC/SC boarder and found this Porthole Ship’s Time clock for $20…

Works great and is made of solid brass.
I found a set of 3 wooden nautical steering wheels on eBay and I’m going to try to mount it to one of them. I have a Ship’s Bell clock from one of my old submarines (and that MartyS fixed for me last year) I’m going to try and mount to one of the other wooden wheels as well.

8 Likes

We just took a day trip to Indianapolis where we went to the Historical Society Museum (totally not worth $35), then walked down the canal to the State Museum (worth the $45) and finished up at the Sugar Factory.

All-in-all, it cost me $300, which was what I budgeted for the trip.

4 Likes

From NYC my most fruitful day trip was to Philadelphia, PA and the Mütter Museum. Highly recommended for anyone who would like it.

My most ridiculous day trip was to Santa Cruz, CA to see The Residents. I’m happy I did it but won’t be repeating that kind of journey ever again.

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted to go to the Mütter Museum. It sounds like a blast.

4 Likes

Cedar Point. Sandusky, Ohio. I’ve been there countless times over the years.

2 Likes

We’ve got several local parks and a fair number of other cities within a 3hr drive, but this is our favorite day trip.

Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield, OH. If you know, you know.

4 Likes

I still regret not buying ground kangaroo meat when I went to Jungle Jim’s, but I didn’t trust the hotel mini-fridge’s freezer.

2 Likes

My mom is close enough that Jungle Jim’s is a not infrequent destination for regular grocery shopping (obviously there are a few Krogers that are nearer). I’ve only been there a handful of times, and it’s nuts.

I do like that there’s some jungle sounds playing outside, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same effects record The Residents used at the start of “Six Things to a Cycle.”

3 Likes

It looks like some carnies hijacked a boat show and crashed it into a weird knock-off Wal-Mart.

4 Likes

Sure, if you leave out the animatronic characters.

EDIT: And the monorail. Yes, they have a monorail.

4 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

jungle-jim-s-international

3 Likes

Hey! That’s the aisle where I got the blackcurrant jam!

3 Likes

And the aisle where I pick up a bunch of stuff for my Anglophile boss…they hear I’m going and they give me cash and a list. :laughing:

3 Likes

Cor blimey, is that where you go to get PG Tips and Marmite?

3 Likes

Yep, pretty much.

They even have a section for Zimbabwean products.

2 Likes