4 Likes

RIPOSTE… En garde!
riposte

4 Likes

Re-Axe

john cusack deodorant GIF

(Happy birthday, @sandyfrank!)

2 Likes

I see 6 packs of glass bottles of Mexican Coke in the international foods aisle of Wegmans every week. And during Passover they have two liter bottles of cane sugar Coke (corn syrup isn’t kosher for Passover) in the seasonal section of the store (this might be semi-unique given the % Jewish population of my town).

Sorry for further dragging it away from the bots, so uh… Let one thousand Crows and Tom Servos bloom. That’s my contribution.

4 Likes

He sure was! And puppeteered as well! By the one and only @themwaverly (Grant)!

11 Likes

Well in that case… um… I don’t like the new… uh… shirt the puppeteer was wearing?

3 Likes

I HATE M. WAVERLY’S CONSISTANT VOICE!

10 Likes

There’s enough hosts now that every bot could have their own host.

Every robot has their own host,
Yeah, a human they can call their own.

8 Likes

I know I don’t wanna die, but when I do, Crow’s who decides

7 Likes

Wait. I remember that during the final countdown for the second Kickstarter last year, Waverly said this: “Oh, even better. I hate my voice.”

4 Likes

Thanks! I also didn’t know corn syrup isn’t kosher. My in laws are Jewish so probably something to know. :blush:

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s true…

1 Like

Okay, so… Corn syrup (unless it’s contaminated by something unkosher) is kosher.

What awatts said, as you can see, is that it isn’t kosher for Passover. Passover places extra restrictions just for that week. Specifically, you are not allowed to have any food that rises or could potentially rise.

An aside on the details of the matter

This actually traces back to an ancient Egyptian festival of Spring, in which only fresh products were allowed. Nothing connected with death. Fermentation was considered a process of decay, and thus inappropriate for Spring renewal. The Jewish celebration of Passover carried forward that tradition, but gave it new significance by saying that during the Exodus, the fleeing Jews were in a rush and thus did not have time to fully bake their bread. Instead, they ate unleavened cakes. This, however, is in direct contradiction to the passage in the Book of Exodus which specifies that they were warned the night before that they would have to leave, and that they should have a large meal that night as part of their preparations for departure the following morning. Nevertheless, the rules are what they are. No leavening agents allowed during Passover.

Therefore, you can’t use flour, which can rise during baking, but you can use “cake meal,” which is pre-baked flour, which is guaranteed not to rise. There are a whole bunch of rulings on individual foods and ingredients in that vein.

Which brings us to corn. As you know, corn can expand when heated. i.e. popcorn. Corn starch itself is not actually a leavening agent, and corn syrup is just the sugar without the starch in it.

But rabbis like to always err on the side of caution. Therefore, when corn syrup first became popular circa 1980, some rabbis made a ruling that corn syrup (which could perhaps contain traces of starch which could perhaps expand on heating, even though that’s not proper leavening as you would get from yeast) was not kosher for Passover.

This ruling, however, was reexamined more recently and overturned. You just can’t use corn syrup to cause leavening, so it’s fine.

But… Judaism has no central authority. You listen to what your rabbi says. And not all rabbis agree. There’s no figure like the Pope who can declare what’s right for all Jews. So… some rabbis stick by the old ruling whereas some recognize the new one.

Long story short:

1. Corn syrup is fine most of the year, provided it is produced in a way that avoids any contamination by anything not kosher. (If it comes with a kosher certification seal, it’s fine.)

2. Corn syrup used to be considered not kosher specifically during Passover. Some people still abide by that. Others don’t. They’re all Jews and just as Jewish and free to make their own decisions about how to interpret the rules.

As for your in-laws: You can talk to them about how they keep kosher. (There are varying degrees and authorities, and some don’t keep kosher at all.) But, generally speaking, if it has a (K) on the product packaging, it’s fine most of the year. If it’s during passover, look for the additional certification saying that it’s kosher for Passover.

12 Likes

Fascinating and informative! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this!

6 Likes

I didn’t realize that badge could be used as a title! WOOHOO!

3 Likes

Can’t we get beyond titledome?

3 Likes

Nicely done.

1 Like

There’s a Jason Trost joke in there somewhere.

2 Likes