Every country has a monster...

Wizards I was my favorite episode of the Jonah era until Mac and Me came along.

As it stands, I have them both slotted as top ten MST3K episodes.

I love the concept (and Deanna Rooney’s portrayal) of the Dr. Donna St. Phibes character, and I really hope we see her incorporated into future episodes, too. There’s so much potential bound up in the idea of that character, and it would be a shame if she didn’t return in some capacity.

5 Likes

In my case, I had to pause the movie and leave the room for a bit at the TripAdvisor reviews.

4 Likes

Those “Trip Advisor” jokes are among my favorite ever. So topical and so perfect.

3 Likes

Cry Wilderness! “Paul, am I at the right boys school?”

3 Likes

“Maybe I spent too much time in the forest and not enough time in college, ~but tHiS dOEsN’t LoOk liKe tHe bUS sTatiOn!”

2 Likes

I have a fondness for characters who left early in a show’s run and then make an appearance long into the period when the show is well into its groove. Doesn’t happen often, but it definitely happened this week with Falk, Victor, Arthur and Wentworth on Legends of Tomorrow. So yeah, I don’t think I’ve seen much of season 1 let alone with frequency, but J Elvis’s return is fantastic. It would be like if Wil Wheaton was able to detach himself from Trek in the past 25+ years (I don’t think his departure point necessarily needs to change for the analogy to work) and then made a cameo on Picard.

2 Likes

I love that part in the Hercules movie where he says “but you…” and they say “gesundheit.” It’s a little thing, but it gets me every time.

Also in this age of green screens and CGI, there’s something really charming about the way Time Travelers uses literal magic show tricks as special effects. They usually don’t further the plot, but those scenes are the best part of an otherwise incredibly dull movie.

4 Likes

I live in Scotland. I’m just a couple hours shy of Loch Ness. It was great to hear Nessie mentioned in the show. I think that song was a great choice to open the show with. It was a statement of “we’re back baby!”

7 Likes

On steroids. An anthem of a riffing generation.

That song is awesome… highlight of “the return”…it’s a close rival to the song “pants” from the classic MST3K

4 Likes

Couldn’t say it better. The catchiness and quotability are why they last and the relish of the execution. Both with a smile on the host’s faces.

1 Like

One line that gets me is “it’s a good job his name wasn’t poo-oh. Concepts is my favourite of the new songs.

2 Likes

Hard not to dig Concepts. Second place behind “Every Country” among the Netflix songs for me.

2 Likes

Invention Exchanges stand out. Afterlife Alert, Titanic Hot Water Cannon, BB-Servo, M. Night Shyamalan Living, the Fried Turkey Dunk Tank, GIF Notes, the Inflatable Air-Dancer Organ, Supposi-Stories, the Hand-Dryer Air-Hockey Table, Kinga and Max’s Puppet Drone Probes, Alchemy Glue, the Time-Travel Oven, and Totino’s Pizza Roll Popper.

2 Likes

Every country also appears to have a Bogeyman/Boogeyman (although the estate of Tove Jansson should probably sue over the artwork for the Mörkö).

4 Likes

It’s good to see Boogeywoman Baba Yaga made the list!

Georgy_Millayr_best_baba_yaga_in_the_world

5 Likes

When you do the Universal Studio tour, remember to ask for Babs.
One for the teenagers, there.

3 Likes

Well, he made his cameo 7 months after this post.

3 Likes