"Everybody Knows..." (Except When They Don't)

I’ve had that before and enjoyed it, but I’m a veggie person and many pizza-lovers seem more on the carnivorous side

2 Likes

Oh lordy, contrarian opinions, I must behave myself here. I’m 100% with @CLANG_Potroast on “moist,” it’s just a word, I’ve never understood what the big deal is.

The pineapple on pizza thing is certainly not for me, but to each their own. I’m apparently quite the weirdo about cheese, however – a little goes a very long way. The idea of extra cheese on a pizza is revolting, may as well just gnaw on a stick of butter.

Re: Daylight Saving Time, I’m of mixed thoughts. The whole ordeal is a man-made “problem.” The sun does what it does, Earth does what it does, and we fiddle with clocks to bend things to our will. It’s a hassle, but not a huge one.

1 Like

Daylight savings is a nightmare with young children. Imagine thinking you will get an extra hour of sleep, to only be woken up an hour earlier than everyone else because your kids DO NOT sleep in.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the deal I have with the cat, too. But he eventually adjusts. :wink:

They should make it 6 hours so farmers don’t have to wake up so early.

I’ve known some serious Italian chefs, and none have cared much about what you can and can’t put on a pizza. It started out as lower class street food. There’s no basis for snobbery. The only rule I like to follow is to keep toppings light, only because of the way too many affect the way it cooks.

5 Likes

I agree. I personally love mint jelly on toast.

1 Like

Right there with you on all counts, @CLANG_Potroast . Don’t care one way or the other about DST, and have been known to openly scoff at people who suddenly caught the “moist is a terrible word” virus. (Assuming I knew them well enough that public scoffulation wouldn’t be considered unforgivably rude, of course.)

2 Likes

Regarding DST — blame George Hudson; it’s all his fault. Benjamin Franklin is often blamed for the idea, but he had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he wrote to The Journal of Paris in 1784 as he proposed taxing window shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise.

3 Likes

Filmed at the college of the city I grew up in. My grandparents and mother lived on the same street, College Ave., a handful of blocks south. The Mike Nelson riffed, Over The Top, filmed there at the beginning.

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

3 Likes

Cars shouldn’t have horns. They might have been intended to let fellow drivers know about emergencies, but in actuality they allow a driver to scream at another in a way that would never be acceptable face to face.

2 Likes

Wind chill factor and the humidity index. It’s 65 but it “feels” like it’s 40. It’s 90 but it “feels” like it’s 98. How do you know? Oh I get that there’s a formula they use, but did they ever have people stand somewhere when it was windy and say how cold they felt? I doubt it.

And even if they did, what it feels like is subjective. Where the person in the cold wearing a coat and, if so, what kind? What kind of shirt was the hot person wearing?

Nope, I don’t buy it. Tell me the temperature and how hard the wind is blowing or humid it is and let me make up my own mind how cold or hot it feels like and keep your “feels like” opinion to yourself. I’m just saying.

4 Likes

Y’know, that just gave me a brainstorm. What if the horn didn’t so much “yell” at other drivers, but “yelled” at other cars and the road? And not just audibly, but also broadcasting some kind of signal?

Bear with me. With all the advances in self-driving cars and intelligent roads, the horn could become another factor for the system as a whole to weigh in optimizing traffic flow and spotting accidents or slowdowns. Of course, if you were the kind of driver who constantly leaned on the horn, your input would carry very little weight in the system — but if you were a normally courteous driver, your use of it would be weighed far more heavily.

Now I’m going to have to poke around and see just what’s what in that area of research these days to satisfy my curiousity.

1 Like

I like DST in the fall, when I get an extra hour to sleep, and hate it in the spring when I lose one. There is no legitimate reason for it to still exist, IMO, but since I prefer night to day I would object to going to permanent DST. Most importantly, we would never know what happened during that hour that the world lost forever. (Now there’s a premise for a story.)

4 Likes

Specifically English.

I like to describe the English language as follows: It’s not a language, it’s three languages stacked on top of each other in a trench coat, and they proceed to mug other languages in dark alleys to rifle their pockets for spare grammar and extra vocabulary.

An example: we all know i before e except after c… except when your weird foreign neighbor Keith receives eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters and your other neighbor Heidi seizes heifers of average height in a heist.

Also… read and lead rhyme, but not read and lead. Similarly read and lead do not rhyme… while read and lead do. And for some godforsaken reason, pony and bologna rhyme.

Minute and minute, content and content, object and object, excuse and excuse, wind and wind… different pronunciations of the same words that have an entirely different meaning depending on the pronunciation.

I’ll end with a fun little game you can play with the English language; place the word “only” anywhere in the following sentence, and it will still make perfect sense.

“She told him that she loved him”.

I’ll see myself out. :laughing:

7 Likes

Laugh
Women
Motion

Ghoti —> :fish: :tropical_fish: :fish: :tropical_fish:

I recently came across the example, “I never said we should kill him,” which has seven meanings, depending on which word you stress.

6 Likes

Then there’s the old SNL “You can’t put too much water in a nuclear reactor” sketch.

3 Likes

The whole “moist” thing always reminded me of the Monty Python Woody Words sketch, especially with Cleveland’s reaction to “tin”.

3 Likes