Favorite Album Art

That is very jolly! There’s a happy feel to this TMBG cover as well, along with a strong Outsider Art vide.

5 Likes

The Flaming Lips have some great album covers.

FL_TSB

7 Likes

I am still a huge Boingo fan😁 and my friends and I listened to all those albums as soon as we could buy them.

Turns out (I think at least) Danny was even better making soundtracks than albums.

2 Likes

PDQ Bach is worth a listen if you like humor and classical music. Peter Schickele is a genius.

3 Likes

These two album covers intrigued me enough to check out the bands behind them, and they since became two of my absolute favorite musical groups.

Also look up the cover to the Coil album Love’s Secret Domain. It really embodies a lot of what the band was about, but is not all-audience appropriate to post here. (It’s a great album, too.)

2 Likes

Here’s a fun one. The Andromeda Strain soundtrack.

This is what it looked like on the outside

and this is what it looked like on the inside.

8 Likes

A complete aside - back in the early 80’s, P.D.Q. was a copy utility program for Apple lle’s. Copied almost anything from the days of 5.25” floppy’s.

That’s it. A random, unsolicited memory from 30 years ago, yer welcome😅

4 Likes

Some album covers with art work by Mad Magazine’s Jack Davis:

10 Likes

Giger already got two mentions so I’ll skip him and move forward.

Elsewhere in the Discourse, I made mention of the Designers Republic. Their beginnings were in event fliers and album covers:

voltaire01

The style holds up today (if a bit dated) and it influences other album art that I dig:

arasaka01
blakk01

Allen Jaeger is an artist I know little-to-nothing about but the stuff he has contributed to Phil Western and cEvin Key is neat:

download02

4 Likes

Good stuff! I see parallels in the house styles of Prospect Records and Soma.

2 Likes

We had one ELO cover earlier, how about another? This is my favorite ELO album and I love the cover.

3 Likes

A couple of albums with artwork by Gary Larson:

(I like the sign on the wall pointing the way to the fire hydrant.)

6 Likes

Keeping on with the cartoon theme, another good album by a talent I appreciated more as I got older.

8 Likes

I “heard” this cover in my head. :laughing:

2 Likes

This is a compilation album, but it’s a great cover.

12 Likes

california

5 Likes

Hmm, what’s the name of that band I like, you know, the greatest of the greatest things in my life entrainment-wise? Oh, yeah, I remember. :wink:

10 Likes

Well if we’re going to do The Beatles, we have to include the banned cover for Yesterday and Today.

7 Likes

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - front and back covers

8 Likes

7 Likes