Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 3

Oh, man… good call!

Still no clue or even the POSSIBILITY of remotely guessing as to what was said during that weird country number while Jerry is wandering around the city.

5 Likes

Ah yes. The Mountains of Illinois.
I’m Peter Graves and i attended the University of Minnesota…

7 Likes

One of us :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve drank a grasshopper. I’m more of an Appletini fan myself…

5 Likes

I hear that you can save big money there :thinking:

4 Likes

I still hold out hope that we’ll see the return of the Menards running gag.

Someday. SOMEDAY.

5 Likes

I live not far from a couple Menards stores. That running gag is really hilarious to me!

3 Likes

Oh, I adore the hell out of the Menards gag, and I’m not even in an area that has those stores.

A pity they only used that for three episodes.

3 Likes

Wait, is that new avatar flair…

I haven’t seen another since…. So very long.

An elegant weapon… from a more civilized time.

Nah. Couldn’t be.

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I saw “attack of the giant leeches” for the first time. :slight_smile:

Staying in Wildwood Crest for the week with my grandparents (also down from Bucks County) and watching that on a Saturday night is one of my endearing nerd beach memoirs.

4 Likes

The Mad Monster is worse than either of those. The audio is scratchy and garbled, making the movie unwatchable.

5 Likes

The Mad Monster was just an audio wreck all the way around.

I think the Paste Magazine complete MST3K episode ranking (well, complete through Season 12; I think they’re going to wait until all the Season 13 episodes are aired before updating that article again) was onto something in pointing out that “In the earliest MST3k episodes, the writers seemed less concerned on picking ‘entertaining’ films and more focused on picking ‘painful’ films” and then going to mention stuff like the audio issues.

4 Likes

I know I’m boring, but I picked Pod People as far outshining all the others. None of those others are bad though. I’d be up for a watch-a-long with any of them really.

4 Likes

That Paste Magazine ranking is incredible and highly addicting! Just now I clicked and was like “One more”, “Just one more”, “Okay, until I find one of my favorites”, “Should I just look though it all?” :smiley:

(Yes, I did stop after 2 1/2 pages!)

4 Likes

Absolutely!

It’s an invaluable read, and it goes to the heart of what I mean when I say that everyone’s different views on episodes bring something vibrant and interesting to a fandom. LOVE reading it.

Heh, I can’t blame you for making your way through 2 1/2 pages of that!

The only other comprehensive episode ranking of its kind out there that I’m aware of is one from The Workprint. I think the only title it misses out on is the MST3K Movie. It’s a fun read, too!

Episodes 196 - 151
Episodes 150 - 101
Episodes 100 - 51
Episodes 50 - 1

3 Likes

Hadn’t seen The Workprint one before. Looks like I have another review site to read-up on! Thanks!

And yes, it really is a lot of fun to compare and contrast opinions towards episodes!

2 Likes

SO MUCH

Like, with this one, there are some nifty and novel choices in his top 20. He has more than a few from the Jonah era here, and personally? I think that’s neat.

But The Sword and the Dragon at #193 and The Phantom Planet at #192? Heh, you KNOW I can’t agree with that… but I can respect those choices and think that it’s something awesome to have distinctive picks like that.

3 Likes

And I find the Menards gags really tiresome. If it isn’t Ray Szmanda telling us about saving big money, I don’t wanna hear it.

2 Likes

Wow, to each their own, but I can’t believe they have Godzilla vs. Megalon outside the top 100.

2 Likes

This immediately disqualifies them from serious consideration as a ranking authority. Bzzzt! Deleted. Looking at their top 50 choices only reinforces my assessment. No idea what sort of criterion they are using, but their conclusions are way off. #1 movie is Mac & Me while Mitchell is #5? Giant Spider Invasion is #8? Samson vs. Vampire Women is #12? This seems more like a random list rather than any sort of “ranking”.

1 Like