Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 4 - June 2022

In Round 1, Teenagers from Outer Space continues to enjoy a thin margin of votes over Outlaw of Gor.

In Round 2, Space Mutiny still has a Castleton University-sized lead over Time Chasers.

And in Round 3, Werewolf does things (not things!) in order to hold a small victory over Pod People.

Time for the Round 4 showdown to commence with a Supernatural Summer theme for the Vault Picks this month!

With six classic episodes entering the fray this June, we have an even division of Joel episodes and Mike episodes. The voting this round presents a difficult decision, but decide you must! Which installment do you favor above the others? Which episode stands out as the funniest? Whose cuisine will reign supreme?!

Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 4
  • Cave Dwellers
  • The Magic Sword
  • The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
  • Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
  • Quest of the Delta Knights
  • Merlinā€™s Shop of Mystical Wonders

0 voters

10 Likes

Cave Dwellers by a mile. One of the best episodes. How can you beat that hang glider sequence?

7 Likes

Iā€™m proud to declare I like pie!!!

6 Likes

Hey @SuperCutie - looking at the descriptions of the new vault picks, the Synthiaā€™s selects portion of Quest Of The Delta Knights involves that orange cyclops 'bot you like.

7 Likes

ā€œWhat do you, the viewers at home, think?ā€

7 Likes

Because heā€™s not Sinbad, was looking for a English subtitled version of Sadko to share and instead found this.

EDITED TO ADD: This is better and funnier than it has any right to be. Damn.

5 Likes

ā€œSay thatā€™s an odd way to go to communion.ā€ - Joel

Sinbad

6 Likes

happy gasp
WHAT?! I gotta go check it out right now!

5 Likes

10 Likes

Crow after his gold has tarnished and he lost an eye?

5 Likes

Iā€™ll blur it for folks who havenā€™t seen the introductions yet, but ha, a Nuprin reference. That made me laugh.

And thereā€™s an MST product idea, little chewable M. Waverly tablets, for the next time you suffer menstrual crampsā€¦ or a headache

6 Likes

Iā€™ve gotta go Cave Dwellers because it has so much Keefe in it.

7 Likes

Would you say it has 1.60934 kilometers of Keefe?

9 Likes

You might be very delighted at a joke in the Synthiaā€™s Selects introā€¦

8 Likes

The Magic Sword. My second-favorite Joel episode ever. Burnt Eye is pretty good in the Kiddie genre, plus we get Basil Rathbone, the bots in their dog costumes, AND ā€œOde To Estelle.ā€ :heart_eyes_cat:

7 Likes

Merlinā€™s Shop of Mystical Wonders is occasionally my number one episode ever. So many riffs that get me every single time. Iā€™d love to see MST3K take on more failed sci-fi/fantasy anthology shows.

6 Likes

Holy schnikes I hadnā€™t looked yet and this is basically five of my top ten :joy: I canā€™t choose! Donā€™t make me choose!

Then thereā€™s Merlinā€™s Shop in there stinkinā€™ up the place

8 Likes

You just donā€™t believe in the mystical wonderous powers of magical Merlin and his holy demons!

3 Likes
  1. Cave Dwellers. In a sane world nothing else is even close. This movie is ridiculously bad while at the same time maintaining a basic watchability. The riffs and host segments are top notch. This is a movie I still use as an ā€œintroductionā€ to MST3K for newbies because it so perfectly exemplifies what the show is really all about ā€¦ I.E. hilarious jokes poking fun at a bad movie. Episode gets 9 out of 10.

2. The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. This movie holds a soft spot for me as it is part of the Russo-Finnish clump, and those are all excellent MST episodes (Day the Earth Froze is top 10 of all time). Sinbad isnā€™t quite the romp that Day the Earth Froze is, but it is a solid outing with some memorable riffs and bits. 6.5 out of 10.

3. The Magic Sword. Another ā€œbad but not BADā€ movie that has decent production values, scripting, and acting but has some silliness and bad effects that weigh it down. Solid riffs and host segments. Good episode but not great. 6 out of 10.

4. Deathstalker & the Warriors from Heck. A slight step down from Magic Sword in movie quality, but having equal levels of corn. Saxon makes about the least threatening bad guy around, but there he is. Movie just kind of ends. Decent riffs. Above average 5.5 out of 10.

5. Quest of the Delta Knights. Low budget 90s schlock with very little going for it. Unheroic ā€œprotagonistā€ with forgettable Obi-Wan and low importance sidekicks in Leonardo and Princess Cleavage. Indiana Jones ending where nothing the ā€œheroesā€ did mattered and they could have just let Bat-Head find the place and gone drinking. Mediocre riffs and host segments. Average 5 out of 10.

6. Merlinā€™s Shop of Incoherent Boredom. Spliced together nonsense with creepy 1st half and dumb finale. Borgnine is no Peter Falk Princess Bride ripoff cuts to try and piece together this pile of poo. Riffs arenā€™t ā€˜badā€™ but arenā€™t memorable either. Below average episode. 4 out of 10.

6 Likes

First off: This is a very strong collection! Props to whoever selects them for making such a fantastic set of episodes!

My vote goes to Cave Dwellers. So many reasons, but the top has to be because you get this sense that MST3K has truly arrived. 212 started the Modern Era (Joelā€™s Maroon jumpsuit), but with 301, they now know exactly who they are and how to approach what they do. Having a real gift of a movie definitely helps!

While Iā€™m here: I want to shoutout to The Magic Voyage of Sinbad for being such a visual treat (Just adore the Russo-Finnish movies) and Quest of the Delta Knights because it features Pearl in the theater!

11 Likes