Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

Singer and noted boots advocate Nancy Sinatra is 82.

And for some utterly inexplicable reason, she is still NOT in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

8 Likes

I thought these guys had been mentioned already, but the search I did just now showed that they have not.

So an overdue cheer to two of my comedy heroes, The Smothers Brothers!

Here’s one of my favorite bits by them:

Here the brothers go electric!

I got to see them perform once back in the early 2000s. They were still great.

This, for me, is one of the finest moments in TV history:

Tom (The Yo-Yo Man) is 86.
Dick (The one mom always liked best) is 84.

They announced back in Dec. that they would be touring this year. If they come anywhere near you, I’d certainly recommend seeing them in person.

8 Likes

I mentioned them in my first post, with a picture. But the more cheer, the merrier. I saw them on their “finale” tour, and they still had it, were as great as ever. Happy to learn they are returning for another.

Those clips were wonderful

5 Likes

This is my favorite bit.

4 Likes

It’s hard to look at these two in their suits and ties and think that they were considered to be subversive and dangerous for their comedic observations.

5 Likes

That’s why they were considered so subversive and dangerous. It was a lot easier to just laugh off the hippies and freaks.

4 Likes

I thought they had been mentioned before, but I see what happened. I searched for “smothers” and in your post it was spelled “Smother’s”, so that’s why the search didn’t match up.

Exactly. They seemed so clean-cut and mainstream, yet their comedy (moreso in the sketches on their show than in their musical routines) would often touch on political and cultural issues of the day in ways no other variety show of the time would ever dare. I think their clean-cut image made them a favorite of moms all across America, especially moms who had squabbling sons of their own. I know my mom loved them even though her political beliefs were quite different from theirs.

4 Likes

He’s only 75, but I think Sam Neill deserves a cheer for surviving stage III blood cancer, which is now in remission.

12 Likes

Oh heck yes. I panicked a little when a friend sent me an article with very dire clickbaity title, but I follow Sam on the social medias, so when I saw his video saying he’s been in remission for months, I took a very deep breath and felt better.

He, Sam Waterston, and Sam(uel) L Jackson are “my Sams” and I’m protective of them! :laughing:

10 Likes

Joel Grey is still at the cabaret at 90.

5 Likes

For comics fans, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez celebrated his 75th birthday yesterday.

While not QUITE as iconic as other artists of the period, such as Neil Adams or George Perez, his style is crisp and right up there when I think of “70s-80s superheroes”.

7 Likes

Let’s give it up for Michael Caine (90), an Oscar-winning actor unafraid to take acting jobs at times just to put food on the table.

12 Likes

Plus he inspired the dueling Michael Caine impressions in The Trip!

4 Likes

John Astin is 93 years old today.

7 Likes

The only couple on a 60s sitcom you believe could actually have children.

Addams Family Love GIF

8 Likes

Are you saying Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette weren’t really getting it on?

4 Likes

The king of the mini-series, Richard Chamberlain and Oscar winning actress and singer, Shirley Jones both turned 89 today.

Man did I love Shogun, and as a kid I knew Shirley best for the Partridge Family… though this performance is what earned her an Oscar

5 Likes

I associate Shirley Jones with Oklahoma, which I dearly love and have seen many times, and Carousel, which has amazing music, but I can’t watch because of a VERY offensive part.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really dislike the musical because of that. It has some good tunes, but I won’t watch the whole thing.

2 Likes

I finally watched Oklahoma in 2018 while I was on a Gloria Grahame kick. Never seen Carousel but have seen both versions of Liliom (on which it’s based) and have struggled with and tried to wrap my mind around its closing scene, which I won’t go into here because it would be a long lengthy thing… but yeah, pretty disturbing.

4 Likes