Hearing It Wrong

Could that be the new theme song to Who’s the Boss?

It’s a little dark, but it could work.

Also, I learned years ago that when you’re singing in public, mouthing “watermelon” as needed is good to cover your lapse of lyric knowledge. Note that this does not work when soloing.

3 Likes

Why watermelon? It is universal camouflage for about any word? I wouldn’t have thought of that.

It contains a number of different mouth movements, I suppose. It’s in the urban dictionary more than once, so that’s something.

1 Like

It is one of the words that extras are told to mouth when they are supposed to be talking.

1 Like

Apparently in movies where a crowd was supposed to be murmuring among themselves, they would tell the extras to say “wawa-sossa-fossa.” It created the illusion of speaking without any distinguishable words.

2 Likes

Once you hear “there’s a gay gnome who’ll be there for you” in Cut Copy’s Out There on the Ice you can’t unhear it.

Rubbin’ the hooded man…

1 Like

Here’s one where I still don’t know what the real word is (or if maybe it’s just sound rather than an actual word).

Go to about 30 seconds. Before the first verse begins, I keep hearing “Ontaaaaaario! Ontaaaaaaario!”

But the song is a great one. I love Red. If I could just stop hearing “Ontario”. :smiley:

1 Like

Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears For Fears. Forever I swore I heard “masterpiece” where “So nice to eat, so nice to taste” were the actual words.

1 Like

I have a very similar one, for Jane’s Addiction’s “Been Caught Stealing.”

The chorus goes “Hey all right, if I get by / It’s mine – mine all mine” but I typically hear “Hey all right / F?!kin’ pie” instead. :grin:

4 Likes

“There’s a bathroom on the right”(‘There’s a bad moon on the rise’) is one of my favourites

4 Likes

The theme song for The Jeffersons is a classic, but as a little white kid growing up in the Midwest, I wasn’t exposed to enough gospel choir music to have a good read on the lyrics.

So instead of “I finally got my piece of the pie,” I heard “I can finally buy my feet a surprise.” :footprints: :trophy:

4 Likes

Hm. I heard it as “f***in’ fine.”

3 Likes

Recent one I heard on Octane is a song called “Dead Man Walking” by Jelly Roll (and no, I’m not kidding about the name). The lyrics I heard were “way past faded”, but the actual words are “faith has faded”.

ETA: Oh, I forgot one! From way back in the '80s (yes, I am that old): The band 'Til Tuesday with “Voices Carry”. I always heard it as “Oh shush, keep it down now, this is scary”, which actually made sense to me in the context of the lyrics, so I never realized it was “voices carry”, not “this is scary”, until much later in my life.

3 Likes

I know this song too well - I live in Banbridge town!!

1 Like

Going to the jack o lantern.

Season 3 Premiere GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

3 Likes

I lived with some Slovakians when I was at university. One day we heard “U Can’t Touch This” by the one and only MC Hammer, and Josef my housemate told me how he had misheard this song when he was younger. Instead of “Can’t Touch This” he heard the words “Tri tash ki” (I have butchered the correct Slovakian spelling there) which he translated to English for me as “Three big shopping bags”.

I haven’t heard that song the same way since - I don’t hear the Slovakian, I just hear MC Hammer singing “three big shopping bags”

4 Likes

Not only that one, but also “Little Early Pearly [gave my anus] Curly Wurly”

With the actual words being [came by in his]

1 Like

7 Likes

Jason Waterfalls?

3 Likes