HELP US HELP YOU, A POLL: Problems with audio volume levels in episode 1301! Please respond šŸ™

I watched the livestream on a Fire TV stick, streaming to a Samsung television.

I didnā€™t have any problems with the riff/movie mix, but the host segments were louder than the movie segments. (Not uncomfortably louder, but it was pretty noticeable.)

1 Like

I used a Roku into my smart 4K TV. In retrospect I guess the host segments were a little louder vs stuff in the theatre. When we were watching live it didnā€™t really take me out or anything.

We also run sound through a Sonos set up, I am not sure of there is automatic volume balance or something like that through the sound system. (Note to self: look into that)

1 Like

I had trouble hearing Baron a lot. I feel like Servo needed to be mixed different to make his voice cut through better.
Heā€™s usually my favorite to hear and there were several times where I know he said something but I couldnā€™t hear what.

1 Like

I had volume issues on Friday night during the livestream. Same as what others are reporting, where the movie volume was too low and the riffs too loud.

When my husband and daughter got home part way through the movie, they commented on it too (I think I had been trying to ignore it.) I turned up the TV volume to hear the movie better but we got blown away by the volume of some of the riffs.

We have a PC connected to our TV and were watching on gizmoplex.com via Firefox. I was not using headphones at any point, just the TV volume.

And had no sync issues. Just volume imbalance.

1 Like

I was turning the volume up and down to be able to understand the movie dialog and then down for the MSTK segments. It was manageable but a bit of an annoyance.

1 Like

Overall the riffs were louder than movie audio at times, apart from noisier sections of the movie.
I went in assuming itā€™d be an early edit of the episode, with room for some further ediitng later on, so the levels didnā€™t bother me that much, but the riff/host audio definitely felt a little dynamicaly under-compressed here and there.

1 Like

I watched it the next day (so Saturday) on my desktop through gizmoplex.com. At times, the movie volume was too low compared to the riffs. I was not wearing headphones, and I only have two lower-end speakers on my desk (so it could partially be an issue due to my sound setup). Host segments were mostly good, but at least one came off louder than I expected (could be due to tinkering with sound volume due to low movie sound vs. louder riff volume).

1 Like

I initially watched at gizmoplex.com (the VOD) using Google Chrome. I then cast the movie to my Google TV using that same web browser. In both cases, the movie was hard to hear, while the riffs were at an adequate volume.

1 Like

I watched on my TV by Apple Cast from my iPhone. The movie was quiet compared to the riff volume. I noticed this watching the 6 curated episodes in the Vault picks as well. I also watched them on my TV using Apple Cast from my iPhone. The levels seemed better when I tested directly on my laptop when troubleshooting.

For the record, I turned up my volume a little higher than normal and was fine.

1 Like

to me, the volume issue was very similar to what happened during the summer livestream events. those we rewatched thru youtube web and here thru gizmoplex web.

2 Likes

I noticed the audio was quiet when Joel did his opening but was fixed shortly after chat acknowledged it. I did think the movie volume was a tad bit low throughout. The riffing from Jonah and the bots was fine imo though. Havenā€™t had a chance to rewatch Iā€™m going by what I recall on Fridayā€™s stream. I watched on a google TV btw

1 Like

Watched live premiere on Roku

Movie volumes too low
Riffing too loud

Intermission breaks the audio was very echoing

Zoom meeting sometimes hard to understand when folks talk over each other.

1 Like

Same hereā€¦Watching on Shield (Android TV)

2 Likes

Watched at gizmoplex.com streamed from my PC to my TV over a Steam Link (in theory itā€™s the same as if I had been sitting at my PC). Movie volume was extremely low, riffs were very loud except for a handful of instances where Tom would say something under his breath and it was too quiet to hear. The host segments were very loud.

2 Likes

I had no trouble with the audio while watching from my Roku but I was also wearing headphones to drown out the noises being made by my incredibly inconsiderate housemates. Perhaps I should charge them a decibel fee on top of the rentā€¦but I digress.

I have noticed in my own audio mixing endeavors that when wearing headphones the audio levels sound better than when not wearing headphones. I often need to play the audio back without them to get the best results.

Headphones vs non-headphones seems to be common in the thread as well.

3 Likes

First, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! for caring in general, for caring about audio, and for being responsive to feedback.

We watched via the Gizmoplex website using Safari on an MBP and had the loud riffs/quiet movie scenario. The difference was literally show stopping, unfortunately. I donā€™t recall much about the intro/segments audio, except maybe that the scenes were at probably internally consistent and if they did require volume adjustments, it was probably only at the transitions.

It might just be because Iā€™ve been learning all about loudness normalization lately, specifically for music streaming services, but my theory is that this is an issue of the master having to much dynamic range, combined with different-to-no loudness normalization across the various services/devices. A quick search tells me that Vimeo doesnā€™t do loudness normalization and some Rokus do, but not all, so Iā€™m curious about other video streaming services/devices, in this situation and in general. I havenā€™t rewatched on any other systems/platforms of my own, but Iā€™ll try running them through a loudness meter and do some research and see if anything lines up.

My alternative theory is maybe thereā€™s something going on with collapsing surround/stereo audio to stereo/mono, and/or something fishy with panning law, because explicitly non-mono listeners seem to be reporting a better experience.

Let us know if thereā€™s anything we can do to help.

3 Likes

Just to clarify: i currently have the MST3K app on my phone, which i am assuming will upgrade to ā€œGizmoplexā€ when it officially launches.

I used Chromecast to watch it on my TV.

1 Like

I know that most advertisements are recorded at a louder setting which is why people have to turn down the volume when the commercials come on. It is not new, I remember Johnny Carson complaining about the problem. Maybe an adjustment in the volume of the live sections themselves after a test of the movie alone?

2 Likes

Actually advertisers were taken to court over the volume thing and they lost. So adverts canā€™t be at that higher volume anymore.

4 Likes

My issue seemed more to be that the host segments sounded fine and the theater segments were a little low. I watched the live stream on the Gizmoplex website on my laptop with the volume on both the player and the laptop all the way up. I watched in my medium sized living room, and it seemed like it was a bit too quiet in the theater, necessitating the use of headphones. The host segments seemed like a more normal level, and I would take my headphones off, but I felt the need to put them back on after movie sign.

I would prefer to watch the show on my television, but I do not have a streaming stick or a provider with a TV app. If I did, I would assume I wouldnā€™t have had as much of an issue with the volume. Nonetheless, it was a minor inconvenience and I still enjoyed the white dot.

2 Likes