I Wrote the Wrestling Sketch. AMA.

I didn’t work on The Batwoman. But I’d be surprised not to see some manner of wrestling sketch in that one.

2 Likes

Zero. Vocal chords of steel.

6 Likes

I sure didn’t!

3 Likes

We sit down together, talk about things unrelated to work for about 30 minutes, then we throw lines back and forth while I type. I almost always do the typing when I’m writing with someone else.

We’re not involved with those kinds of production conversations. Prop and Costume Dept. just gets our sketches like a note that says “I Know What You Did Last Summer”.

5 Likes

Probably? I don’t remember that in particular but everything I’ve ever encountered in my life, whether I remember it or not, I consider gamma rays that feed my creative Hulk.

6 Likes

Forgot to answer your second question. Sketch writing is to joke writing as layer cake is to sheet cake. One takes a little more time than the other, but you’re pretty much looking for the same result.

9 Likes

I’ll see you at Survivor Series.

4 Likes

I think that was @TammyG 's line and everyone should be quoting her forever.

7 Likes

Fun fact, Jerry Lawler owns an original Batmobile.

3 Likes

Guy owns an assortment of crowns so this does not come as a surprise.

2 Likes

Never thought about this before, but he also looks like he and Burt Ward could be brothers.

2 Likes

When you were standing at craft services, looking at all it had to offer, was there anything you craved which you discovered to be missing? What I mean to ask is, “did it lack the nack for a Blac Drac snack?”

I also have the same question for any goodie bags that were passed out.

5 Likes

I work from home, so this only came up when I hadn’t been to the grocery store.

2 Likes

Side question – how do you get into Like Jail, @Longmile149 , and what’s the food like in there? Is it just endless Nutraloaf or do they ever let you have steak-milk? I’m trying to decide if I want to join you!

4 Likes

Who/what would you say were the major influences in developing your sense of humor (comedians, writers, TV shows, movies, etc.)?

2 Likes

Let’s see. A lot of these will be from when I was a kid, but some from when I was older as I feel an artist should always be getting new influences. Like, now, as an adult–Sherman’s Showcase is a huge influence.

The Dick Van Dyke Show, Night Court after Markie Post joined, Married…with Children after Ted McGinley joined, Batman ‘66, Batman: The Animated Series, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, They Might Be Giants, specifically “Flood”, Red Dwarf, the first Ninja Turtles movie, Ghostbusters, Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Hood, the Thriller music video, Star Trek The Next Generation, The Odd Couple, Gilligan’s Island, Liquid Television, RoboCop, Hammer films, Clue, Laugh-In, Dawn of the Dead, All About Eve, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Gregory McDonald’s Fletch books, Glengarry Glen Ross, Freckle Juice, SCTV, Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey, Douglas Adams, The Ben Stiller Show, Dead Heat, Fargo, Jhonen Vasquez, The original Tick comics, Soapdish, It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, Beany & Cecil, The Jetsons, Looney Tunes, specifically Bugs v. Daffy cartoons and The Three Little Bops, Gravedale High, Sam & Max, Freakazoid, this very short lived Fox sketch show The Edge, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Brain Donors, Perfect Strangers, Chuck Barris’ book Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, The A-Team, The Fall Guy, Bob Odenkirk, John Swartzwelder, Little Shop of Horrors, The Monster Squad, Daria, Hudson Hawk, Get A Life, Network, Chris Morris, Frasier, Sealab 2021, His Girl Friday, Evil Dead 2, Batman ‘89, Darkwing Duck, WKRP, Watermelon Man, this Kirk Douglas movie The Villain, Indiana Jones, The Honeymooners, Superman II, this kids’ book called No Jumping on the Bed, this other kids’ book called Wacky Wednesday, The Meteor Man, 3rd Rock from the Sun, The Blues Brothers, Blacula, Death Race 2000, Mama’s Family, Mad, specifically Spy vs Spy. Oh, and Back to the Future II. Oh, and Charles Grodin, specifically Grodin on Letterman.

And those are just the ones I remember/am conscious of.

21 Likes

From the getup, I would have guessed a Leslie Nielsen, Leslie Nielsen, Leslie Nielsen influence drac. But you’re saying Joe Flaherty? :thinking:

3 Likes

Neither. Bela. But I have always enjoyed local horror hosts, so Count Floyd is fine.

3 Likes

That’s true! It’s the logo for the American Wrestling Association (AWA), a promotion based out of Minneapolis back in the day. I have no idea whose idea it was to put it on the jacket, but shout-out to our incredible Wardrobe department for making Jonah look so good.

15 Likes

Yeah, that was one of the few times in my comedy career where I wrote something and someone looked exactly as I pictured.

6 Likes