I Wrote the Wrestling Sketch. AMA.

Two things:

1. Welcome aboard, @Blac_Drac, glad to have you here!

2. I don’t have any questions in mind, but as someone who has loved (and continues to love) pro wrestling, I have to tell you that I had an absolute ball with your pro wrestling host segment. I love how you took those wrestling tropes and conventions and turned them on their head. An instant classic in my book. Kudos on a job exceptionally well done!

5 Likes

Hi, who was your favorite wrestling sketch co writer and why is it me?

TG

21 Likes

And welcome aboard to you as well, @TammyG - glad to have you here, and terrific work on that host segment!

6 Likes

Well? Are you? You didn’t answer the question! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

What’s the James Webb space telescope up to these days?

2 Likes

I agree with everyone here in thinking it was a great sketch. Great script. I thought Jonah did a really fantastic job in it, too. Really funny performance!

1 Like

I will come back in May

2 Likes

I’m late, but…

How many days did it take Baron’s voice to recover after shooting that segment?

5 Likes

Here’s one (assuming you worked on that episode)

Every now and then old-days MST3K would have call-backs in host segment to past ones. Since that upcoming Batwoman movie also has wrestling in it, will there be a call-back to this segment in a segment in that episode?

5 Likes

Absolutely adored that sketch, and so jealous you got an opportunity to write for the show. That really is a dream come true for every aspiring comedy writer. Respect.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you pitch yourself to get that role… or alternatively, what were you working on that brought your comedy chops to the attention of Alternaversal?

But back to the skit. This is really my favorite type of host segment, and the sort of bit I could have easily seen Mike, Kevin, and Bill doing back in the Sci-Fi Channel era. I love it when the bots latch on to some small quirky element from the movie, and then keep building and building on the premise until it descends into utter madness. I think the closest the Netflix era has come to recapturing that quintessential MST3K magic was the glorious Markov & Alexander carnival barker bit from Carnival Magic, and Jonah trying to communicate by whistling in Mac & Me.

I also want to compliment whoever wrote the nonsequitor/sequitor joke from the opening. As the offspring of an English teacher (who would show MST3K to her students on rainy days) I know she would have laughed at that one even harder than I did.

8 Likes

Loved the sketch! One question: what’s the label or patch on Jonah’s jacket pocket? I can’t make out the details, but I’m betting it’s something quirky relevant to the subject matter.

3 Likes

I get the same thing all the time too. I’m only in my 40’s but had to try to explain to someone who Ernie Kovacs was a couple of weeks ago. It is a heavy burden having pop culture knowledge beyond your years.

Mean Gene always had a WWE patch in the same location. I thought it was a Luchador mask, which would have made sense, but upon closer inspection, possibly some variety of skull?

5 Likes

Hence my question. There isn’t enough detail to make it out. It also looks like there’s some organization name or motto circling it, too.

2 Likes

You’ve got some nerve, brother, knocking it out of the park like that in the first episode and making us all feel like this crazy experiment is going to pay off. If I was there right now, I’d give you a big hug and bring you your favorite type of cupcake. And not the cheap one from the local supermarket, oh noooo! I’d go all the way across town to the fancy bakery, and I’d even throw in the beverage of your choice. And because I’d feel guilty for not including everyone else, I’d have to call from the bakery just to make sure I got something nice for the rest of the writers, too. Because that’s what you get when you entertain Dr Phantom!

13 Likes

@TammyG , @Blac_Drac ,
After the pitch, what is the sketch writing process like? And, at what point do you start bugging Beez for costumes?

How does sketch writing compare to riff writing?

3 Likes

My favorite wrestling sketch co-writer is Vince Russo, but you’re a close second.

3 Likes

Seeing The Batman like everyone else.

2 Likes

I heard it was a patch for a Minnesota promotion, but this is a question better answered by the director of the episode @timryder .

7 Likes

I have a general question for everyone about this sketch- ever see the Ren & Stimpy wrestling cartoon where Stimpy yells about how much he loves the other two wrestlers? Similar idea, also very funny.

One of the better Ren & Stimpy cartoons in general.

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw your sketch, which made it even more fun for me. I love seeing the same comedy concept reworked by new brains in new ways.

4 Likes

I’ve been writing comedy for 20 years and was offered the job based on my reputation. Not a super exciting answer, so imagine me saying it while being chased down by a prop plane like Cary Grant.

10 Likes