I'll watch any movie with _____ in it

Kim Cattrall to my Crow. Not a bad actress either.

you are pretty mean girls GIF
Hasn’t always been easy, though. I’m looking at you, Aloha and The Hot Chick!

4 Likes

Keira Knightley. No hesitation. I’ve never seen her in a bad movie, simply because her very name on the billing makes it good :relieved:

2 Likes

The Marx Brothers.

And I’ll watch anything directed by Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, or Larry Blamire (there’s some stylistic whiplash for you).

5 Likes

Christopher Guest’s ensemble

9 Likes

I didn’t think there was any name or subject I could fill that blank with, but the Marx Brothers, yeah.

5 Likes

Yeardley Smith

She’s mostly known for voice over work but every time she shows up on a show or movie she is just great.

1 Like

Jack Nicholson, Gene Wilder, Clint Eastwood, Robert Duvall, Al Pacino, Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Sean Connery, Michael Keaton, Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, Sean Bean, Tommy Lee Jones, Dennis Hopper, Jeff Goldblum, Joe Morton, Jeff Daniels, Robert Patrick, Will Smith, Nicolas Cage, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kathy Bates, Russell Crowe, Christopher Plummer, Julianne Moore, Tom Cruise, Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, Michael Caine, James Woods, John Carroll Lynch, John Goodman, Jeff Bridges, Geoffrey Rush, Bruce McGill, Mark Ruffulo, Robert Downey Jr, Gary Oldman, Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Judi Dench, Mads Mikkelssen, Javier Bardem, Joan Allen, William Hurt, Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Fassbender, Alan Arkin, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington.

1 Like

The Marx Brothers made some real stinkers later in their career, but for the first five or six films, they’re great.

3 Likes

Jeffrey Combs, nice!

I will definitely watch any movie with Dwayne Johnson in it, just to see him smile. The dude has a smile that could light a solar system. It is fun to watch people who obviously enjoy life.

3 Likes

The comedian Eddie Izzard decided to learn French and do gigs there. One of his regular bits was a very good impression of James Mason, so he perfected a French version.
He forgot that, in France, most people watch movies that have been dubbed by native speakers, so all that hard work completely died a death on-stage.

3 Likes

Rutger Hauer brings something special to even the worst of his movies. Also Ed Harris, as mentioned above.
Others who usually bring a degree of watchability to otherwise iffy flicks - Lauren Bacall, Dominique Pignon, Helena Bonham Carter, Peter O’Toole, Oliver Reed, Klaus Kinski and Bruce Dern.

2 Likes

Jason Statham.

For a plethora of reasons. Don’t care how bad the movie is, I’m always going to enjoy it!

3 Likes

I’ll watch any movie with Richard Burton in it.

2 Likes

A rather niche answer, but I’ll watch pretty much any “Victorian ghost story”. Or any “Japanese ghost story”, for that matter.

And for Mary Jo, I’ll add Roddy McDowall. I always enjoy him, too.

3 Likes

Thinking a bit more on this.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Robert Carlyle for sure would be on my list. I always enjoy watching them.

Lam Ching-Ying is a more obscure one. He was often just a support or extra in old Hong Kong action films, especially Sammo Hung ones but he has a bit of a cult following, especially after his performance as the Taoist priest in Mr Vampire. Sadly died in '97 at only 44 years old. RIP :worried:

I also have a soft spot for kung fu films featuring Carter Wong who has a great physical presence on screen.

1 Like

There was a New Year’s Eve where some channel (TCM? old school AMC?) ran a Marx Brothers marathon, and it was PERFECT.

Which is to say, I agree.

YES

3 Likes

Tom Hiddleston.

I know most people know him because of Loki, but he is an amazingly talented actor. A movie of his I highly recommend to anyone is High Rise; the way he portrays the slow descent into madness of his character Dr. Robert Laing is just…
Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Similarly I’ll watch just about anything with David Tennant (also amazingly talented), Ian McEllan, and Patrick Stewart, or any combination thereof. Also anything with David Tennant combined with Michael Sheen; the way those two play off each other is reminiscent of how Ian and Patrick will play off each other in anything they’re in together; you can really tell the two men are friends behind the scenes.

6 Likes

As a Ballard fan, I’d say he definitely did the role justice.

1 Like

As a psychology major, the entire movie is utterly fascinating to me, because I think it would be entirely realistic. Humanity in general is constantly jockeying for positions within groups, with the rich looking down at the poor or the intellectual looking down at the “stupid”, etc; so if humanity suffered some sort of catastrophe that resulted in groups of people being nearly completely separated from the rest of the world, I think what was depicted in the movie is almost exactly what would happen; people would separate into “cliques” and jockey for position, ultimately committing whatever violent acts they deemed necessary to get the best possible position for themselves before things would settle and eventually normalize, somewhat. I found the movie fascinating just for that alone; Tom’s portrayal of Dr. Laing was just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to watch that film. I loved the book too much.

2 Likes