Insane Commercials

Here are some commercials I saw that are both insane and CURSED.

and its other states counterpart:

And lastly…

3 Likes

Oh man, I’ve actually seen that one before! Whoever made it was a big Yellow Submarine fan.

2 Likes

If you lived in certain test markets in the '90s, you were treated with these OK Soda ads:

3 Likes

I think fondly of this ad. Especially during Miami Connection

This is for my Maryland/DC people

Mister Ray! With the best Balwamer accent outside a John Waters movie.

4 Likes
5 Likes

He lives near me. From what I’ve heard, he’s legit.

2 Likes

As a child of the '60s, I have so many family friendly and culturally sensitive commercials to look back on, like…

Or these with the lovable So-Hi (that actress, she looks familiar)

And then there was the Kool-Aid kids’ world tour (I see they have India and Japan saved at Youtube) here’s one of them.

5 Likes

Good to see Kool-Aid teaching us about other cultures, courtesy of Mr. Yunioshi from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Come to Japan, where wisest man in country will be most happy to pull lazy sugar-swilling American children in rickshaw!

3 Likes

Two points:
!. Do commercials aimed at investors count?
2. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a commercial with such strong political campaign vibes. Tim Sizzler for Congress.

3 Likes

I lived in one of the markets at the time. The advertising angle was brilliant but maybe ahead of its time – nothing else was out there quite like those ads. It certainly grabbed attention. But I only remember people talking about the campaign, not about actually trying the beverage.

For the younger folks: this was all happening pre-Web-as-we-know-it-now.

4 Likes

Local St. Louis area ads from my childhood.

Wanda, Princess of Tile and Becky, Queen of Carpet:

Schweig-Engel (RIP), which always had the wackiest commercials:

Brook Dubman of Carol House Furniture–not wacky, but he and his sister (whose name escapes me right now) seemed way too close for siblings in those commercials:

If I think of more, I’ll post them.

5 Likes

Our friends over in Japan are a goldmine for insane commercials.

7 Likes

I’ve tried to explain this game to people and they look at me like I’m crazy. It was a real thing!

3 Likes

If you’re a restaurant, it’s a good idea for people to associate rats with your brand.

5 Likes

This is the source of many a quality riff!

3 Likes

Santo Gold–where “infomercial” meets “Hunter Thompson hallucination.”

3 Likes

Nothing like picking up furniture and dinner at the same place.

3 Likes

I’m guessing many of you have seen this, but maybe some of you haven’t. Warning: NSFW.

5 Likes

The 70s were very big on elaborate tabletop games with lots of pieces and bizarre premises. So bizarre that you would usually play once or twice and then shrug and lose interest. But that was OK, because that’s also how long it would take to lose some critical game piece. And then the remaining pieces would just get tossed in with the random loose Lego pieces, Fisher Price people, blocks, Lincoln logs, Tinker Toys, cheap little doodads from cereal boxes, marbles, dice, broken crayons, and little plastic farm animals to create the ubiquitous Play Slurry.

6 Likes

I’m marveling at the old guy’s…wig? That’s a wig, right?

2 Likes