It's your Open Thread -- if that's okay -- for tonight's 🎅 Tribute to SANTA CLAUS! 🎅

well… I would just like to say… Hurray for Santy Claus.

And remember nothing escapes the view of the Claus organization…

5 Likes

OMG buckle your seatbelt

5 Likes

From the same guy who directed Santo in the Treasure of Dracula, The Batwoman, and the movie we’re not allowed to riff 'cause it’s too scary and yucky: Night of the Bloody Apes.

4 Likes

Never in my life have I envied and pitied a person in equal measure.

This episode is, I believe, where the phrase “nightmare fuel” originates.

9 Likes

I’m catching up on the Jackbox Showdown in preparation for Santa Claus tonight. As I predicted things got dark fast :laughing:

4 Likes

Whether the MST3K episode, or the Rifftrax Live , or any other permutatiion this film exists in (or will exist in), it’s so damn fun.

Not even the lackluster english dub it got can dampen it, it 150% insanity, but of the most charming, baffling kind.

It tries to be holiday fantasy movie, a good vs evvil superhero movie, a biblical epic, a goofy comedy, a treatise on family dynamics, AND a dramatic moral tale all at the same time. All while trying to weave a logistical lore of customized in-universe rules that pelts the viewer in the face so fast and frequently as the movie goes along that even without riffing you’d be flipping between laughter, horror, and confusion, as you try to process the events the movie paints for you.

And the reindeer, oh ho ho ho, there’s reindeer.

I hope a decent print of it surfaces one day, cause the only released Blu-ray of it is blown-out, drenched in DNR, and tries to disguise fading and print-damange by mostly muting all other colors besides orangey-red, and completely removing greens altogether. (The same version Rifftrax used.) This batshit–bonkers-but-thorougly-entertaining-movie deserves a proper restoration.
Hell, I’ll help if I get the opportunity someday.

For those who’ve yet to see it till tonight, put anything you’ve heard about the movie out of your mind (including anything I’ve said) and try to go in blank, you’re in for quite an evening.

6 Likes

They do not. And you’re welcome! I probably spend far more time trying to think up clever titles than the task really deserves. :laughing:

12 Likes

This is one of my top ten favorite episodes, and one that I watch regularly every Christmas Day once I became an adult. I also watch it not during the holiday season. It’s just a great episode!

6 Likes

Props and respect for putting fun spins on these thread titles!

3 Likes

Glad you enjoy the episode as much as you do!

Yeah, when this or Santa Claus Conquers the Martians shows up in the Twitch rotation, I don’t pass them by. They’re pretty dang awesome all year round, for sure!

4 Likes

Does that mean that “Santa Claus” has been significantly edited down to cut down on adult content?

1 Like

This episode is my daughter’s favorite Chistmas movie, and although I am more partial to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, I definitely have a soft spot for the antics of Pitch, and the entirely too cute Lupita.

4 Likes

It’s a very bicycle heavy week! This is maybe my favorite short of the season, everyone. I really hope you enjoy it.

10 Likes

When I was a kid, if you scored a bicycle as a present, it was definitely a good Christmas, so it makes sense to me.

6 Likes

Everytime I watch this movie I feel like I’m in a weird fever dream and when it’s over I forget everything I just watched until the next viewing.

4 Likes

So who are our Gizmoplex Holiday Zinger Singers tonight?

2 Likes

For fans of the bicycle short, be sure to add this lost masterpiece of the hip-hop oeuvre to your list as well:

7 Likes

Throw in One Got Fat, and you’ve got an embarrassment of bicycle safety riches.

8 Likes

Oh, nice! :smiley:

I dig all these Christmas episodes, and I don’t doubt that The Christmas Dragon will soon join their ranks.

That’s really cool that your daughter is such a fan of this episode! I’m more in line with yourself; I’ve got Santa Claus Conquers the Martians in my top 20, but this one’s pretty sharp, too, and not too far behind, honestly.

4 Likes

So this movie is the reason David Huddleston is in The Movie, right?

2 Likes