Kickstarter: The Last Kumite

There’s a Kickstarter I just pledged to that might be right up MSTies’ collective street. Behind the scenes of The Last Kumite are familiar names from YouTube appreciation of trashy movies like Oliver Harper and Jason Brant.
For the cast, there are martial arts legend Cynthia Rothrock, Kurt McKinney (from No Retreat, no Surrender), Matthias Hues (Star Trek VI), Billy Blanks (that Tae Bo guy), Richard Norton (Gymkata), Mike Moller (Atomic Eden) Michel Qissi (Kickboxer), Abdel Qissi (A.W.O.L.) and several more genre names.
If that doesn’t tempt you to back it, think of it as helping create potential future material for MST3K or RiffTrax!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thelastkumite/the-last-kumite

3 Likes
2 Likes

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

4 Likes

If I could back this I would-it looks tremendous :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I met Billy Blanks, cool dude, and one heckuva businessman. That was 22 years ago…I feel old now…

3 Likes

Whether you can or can’t back it, spread the word (and circulate the URL).

1 Like

Success! The movie has been funded, so thank you to anyone who helped.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few posters of this and kept forgetting to pledge. Pleased it’s gotten funded!

2 Likes

The movie has been finished and sent to the distributors, with a general release date of May 2024.
Many thanks to everyone who helped!

1 Like

The Last Kumite is now available to pre-order, with a release date of the 13th of May!

2 Likes

Trailer!

2 Likes

Billy Blanks !

1 Like

And Cynthia Rothrock!

1 Like

My DVD of this has just shipped. Very excited!

1 Like

It is here! Or rather, 2 DVDs are here! Because I forgot I pre-ordered a copy months ago.
So there’s a spare copy that I would be more than happy to post to any UK forum member who’s interested. First come, first served.

1 Like

It’s amazing looking. I was shocked at the Kickstarter budget, though I’m sure that was only a portion of the budget.

2 Likes

While it helps if you know the older cast members’ previous work, it is still a solid piece of work. You always feel you’re in safe hands with the veterans and Mathis Landwehr makes a decent enough lead. As opponents go, the Big Bad isn’t particularly charismatic, but is certainly a brutal physical presence.
And Stan Bush’s rockin’ action theme song takes you to the exact mental state you need to enjoy this movie on its own terms.