Let's discuss "Santo in The Treasure of Dracula"

Movie ratings criteria are really weird. At the start, PG was considered a genuine warning - “parents, use guidance, might be some objectionable stuff here.” And while today the G rating is basically “movies for toddlers,” it truly did mean “general audiences.” I’m looking at the list of G-rated movies in chronological order on IMDb right now starting in 1968, and there are some surprises:

Ice Station Zebra
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
House of Cards (crime drama)
Bloody Che Contra (violent Che Guevara biopic, apparently)
To Hell in the Pacific (great WWII movie with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune)
Some Girls Do (1969 faux-Bond spy movie with a sexy girl in a bikini on the poster)
True Grit
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Waterloo

In short, plenty of stuff that wasn’t aimed at kids, and/or that most kids wouldn’t be interested in.

2 Likes

Is he laden or unladen?

1 Like

It can be kind of frustrating trying to collect these things.

The Blu-ray from VCI of El Vampiro y El Sexo is readily available on Amazon, and VCI has a bunch of other Santo movies that were recently dubbed into English for the first time.

It’s also not difficult to find reasonably-priced DVDs of various luchador movies on Amazon… but the catch is that they’re almost all in Spanish, with no English dubbing or subtitles (no Spanish subtitles either, for that matter.)

Several years ago, I bought a bunch of DVDs from Rise Above Entertainment (including El Tesoro de Dracula) labeled “The Santo Collection,” which have decent English subtitles. Those are the ones to look for, but they’re out of print now.

These movies sometimes pop up on local Spanish-language TV stations (in Spanish, naturally, but with Spanish closed captioning, which is better than nothing).

3 Likes

What happened was that the MPAA did not copyright the ratings. (Why would people in the business of intellectual property even think of it, right?) And so the “adult” industry co-opted the “X”, rendering it instantly useless.

Intriguingly, when they introduced NC-17 in 1990, the damage was already done: Even though they controlled this rating, it was simply perceived by those who would not exhibit or distribute X-ratings as essentially identical to “X”.

Well, it’s all language, right? There’s nothing explicit in there.

These days it would probably be rated R for the smoking and drinking.

I would’ve sworn it was [R] but looking at the poster from the time it says [PG]. And further, I would’ve said it was for violence since somehow I don’t remember full-frontal McGovern…

2 Likes

Planet of the Apes too. Despite not just seeing Heston’s butt, but, for just a few frames, his penis.

2 Likes

Another fun fact about ratings is that movies can be re-rated when they have a new theatrical release.

Midnight Cowboy, which as mentioned got a notorious X rating on release, was re-rated as R by the time it came out on VHS:

5 Likes

Did anyone else have sound leveling problems? The movie would get very quiet then TIME FOR THE RIFFS. Made it hard to fit the movie with the riffing.

1 Like

There’s a thread for this

1 Like

Used to be even one ‘f-word’ got you an R rating, now you’re allowed one for PG-13.

Because hearing it once won’t harm children, but twice will! It’s a proven fact!

7 Likes

Censorship is an odd, odd thing. There is a fun (but biased) documentary called “This Movie Is Not Yet Rated” about the oddities of the MPAA system and I would also recommend a book on the late Hays’ Office/early MPAA years by Jack Vizzard called See No Evil.

The interesting thing to me is that we have no less severe censorship rules today (though there are fewer effective avenues for imposing it) than they did 90 years ago (strictly speaking, 88 years ago was when Hays got his teeth), we just censor different things.

Like smoking cigarettes.

6 Likes

Santo’s natty attire was the one thing keeping me grounded.

5 Likes

They say “dress for the job you want”.

Santo wanted to be an insurance salesman.

6 Likes

And the MPAA refused to give it a rating.

3 Likes

Yes, and the producers knew that going in, since it’s specifically forbidden to…IDK mention? the MPAA?

2 Likes

Imma call my daughter at college and tell her that I’ve changed her name to SantoSweater.

2 Likes

Is it too late to say “watch out for snakes!”?

5 Likes

It’s never to late to say, “watch out for snakes.”

8 Likes

Narrator: “It was in fact too late to say ‘watch out for snakes’”

6 Likes

I remember some of the Santo movies being kid matinees when I was a child. So, they did play in the US. Back then the theaters would get a cheap movie to show and kids would be dropped off at the theater while parents ran errands. Somehow we lived through it all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Although sometimes scarred for life.

3 Likes